• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books on True reasons of histories of wars and world politics

arnuld

I want some books on the history of wars and political events. I have some very specific requirements. I don't want any books explaining the history of some wars like WW2 or the psychology of soldiers after Vietnam war but I want books that explain truths, facts and administrative intentions behind of those incidents . e.g. Missing explains the CIA plots behind the Chile Coup in 1973, and the the Documentaries like Fahrenheit 9/11 and The Money Masters explain the political and economic structures.

any list ?

Have you read, "Charlie Wilson's War"? It purports to explain US involvment in Afghanistan during the Russian occupation. The movie was pretty fun, too. But the book is better.

You don't seriously believe Fahrenheit 9/11 is a documentary, do you? It's little more than propaganda dressed up to look like a documentary. The current Administration should have gotten Michael Moore to run their propaganda machine.

I read Charlie Wilson's War before they made the movie. The book characterizes Charlie Wilson very differently than the movie. Casting Tom Hanks as Wilson made the movie seem like the Disney version of the story. Hanks is a fine actor, but he has trouble conveying the dark, cynical, self-serving, greedy, bigoted right-wing drunken loutish ideology necessary to tell the Afghan story. So yeah, read the book.

I read Charlie Wilson's War before they made the movie. The book characterizes Charlie Wilson very differently than the movie. Casting Tom Hanks as Wilson made the movie seem like the Disney version of the story. Hanks is a fine actor, but he has trouble conveying the dark, cynical, self-serving, greedy, bigoted right-wing drunken loutish ideology necessary to tell the Afghan story. So yeah, read the book.

That's interesting. It makes me wonder how accurate the portrayal is from the book side too. I'll error on the side of the book though.

I've heard good things about A Bright Shining Lie (Vietnam) but never read it.

If you really want to know why any war occurs that the U.S. is involved in, try Noam Chomsky's Year 501, Imperial Ambitions, and Manufacturing Consent. Anything by Edward Said would be a great read regarding the Middle East.

I recently read Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley and loved it. I would also recommend When in the Course of Human Events: Arguing the Case for Southern Secession.

Back