• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books where trains are the stage?

mangek

I recently finished Agatha Christies Murder on the Orient Express. It was an alright read, and I'd like some suggestions on other books set onboard trains. It doesn't matter the time period, be it old or new, but I'd like to have at least half the book set on a train if possible. (I have a strange love for trains.. don't ask)..

Any suggestions? :)

Stamboul Train, by Graham Greene.
From amazon: Published in 1932, this spy thriller unfolds aboard the Orient Express as it crosses Europe from Ostend to Constantinople. Weaving a web of subterfuge, murder and politics along the way, it focuses upon the disturbing relationship between Myatt, the pragmatic Jew, and chorus girl, Coral Musker.

I recently finished Agatha Christies Murder on the Orient Express. It was an alright read, and I'd like some suggestions on other books set onboard trains. It doesn't matter the time period, be it old or new, but I'd like to have at least half the book set on a train if possible. (I have a strange love for trains.. don't ask)..

Any suggestions? :)

Hi Mangek,

Are you familiar with the Railway Detective books by Edward Marston. There are several books now, all dealing with trains/railways in England in the 1850s onward with a crime-angle...

Iron Council - China Mieville. It's almost entirely train. What isn't train is Marxists. So if you like Marxists and you like trains and you like Marxists on trains it's a winner. However, if you're me and you like neither it's just dull.

He should have called it Marxists on a Train actually. At least then I could have yelled 'I'm sick of these mothercrunting Marxists on this mothercrunting train.' But he didn't, and anyway that film wasn't out yet. But that doesn't detract from how very sick of it I was. But then you like trains, so you're already halfway to loving this book more than life itself and who I am to judge? I'm sure even Marxists love their mothers. As long as they're miserable.

I don't mean to put you off the book or anything. I do know someone who enjoyed it. But she's a Marxist, so you know...I don't know what her views on trains are. Anyway, enjoy!

Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith isn't set entirely on a train, but a train plays an important part in the plot, and the book is a very good read if you like suspense.

The People's Act Of Love by James Meek has a train or two in it. They're rather crucial to the plot.

James Goes Buzz Buzz, Stop Train Stop, and Percy's Chocolate Crunch all Thomas the Tank Engine Books. :D

sorry couldn't resist I can't tell you how many times I had to read these books to my boys.

I read very good mystery by Dick Francis which was just about entirely on a train in Canada. it was very good mystery but as usual I cannot remember the name of it. Also a good mystery called Parallel Lies by Ridley Pearson is about accident investigators and guy blowing up trains.

The Polar Express

The Black Train but this only has a few scenes that take place on a train.

Clive Cussler has one that has a train in it too but I can't recall the name of it right now.

Hey everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. :) I'll note the titles/authors and see whether I can buy them or borrow from the library (I prefer buying, but in the case of Litany's suggestion I'm not sure sure I dare to... :D ).

And cheers to whoever moved the thread to the proper location. ;)

Back