• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you didn't finish

When I read the book, I thought Kostova's writing style reminded me a lot of Dan Brown's. Nothing particularly offensive, just a little too plain. Given the amount of research and planning that went into this book I expected her writing to be more flowery and descriptive. I hope this helps...

That's interesting because I've heard from a lot of people that she was too descriptive.

One Hundred Years of Solitude and anything by Milan Kundera. All books I own, want to read and just can't seem to get into. I'll start reading, be really into the book then put it down and never be able to get into it again. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. And that stuff is WAY to deep to read in one sitting.

Clarissa by Samuel Richardson. Read it nonstop on a 2 week holiday once and only got about 1/3rd of the way in. Really annoying as my main aim for reading it was to find out how it ended having missed the last half an hour of the TV series.

If anyone can let me know how it ends I will be forever indebted to you!

The writing was superb but the story was just too boring. I will read Marilynne Robinson's Gilead again- give it another go soon. :rolleyes:

I could not finish Wicked by Maguire. Soooooo boring!!! I prefer fantasy genre books and since reading Tales From Mos Eisley Cantina where you find out the stories of the other people in the bar in Star Wars: A New Hope, I thought that Maguire's books, where he tells the story of the other characters in well known fairy tales, would be fun and intriguing. Instead Wicked is all about politics which I utterly despise. Oh well, Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister wasn't too bad, but it kind of bored me too, I at least finished that one.

I failed on several occasions to finish Sartre's "The Reprieve". It's the written equivalent of an MTV video, cutting frantically from scene to scene, often in mid-sentence. It's the second book in a trilogy, and Sartre cleverly snares you in by writing the first one in a more conventional style, before unleashing this thing once you're hooked.

I've finally finished it now, five years on. It's given me a great feeling of achievement (and relief).

Yep a bunch! I am young so these will seem like really....short books. I have tried to read both "Ruby Holler" and "Snail Mail No More" TWO times and have not yet succeeded. I hate it when you're really into a book and then you just stop and pick it up a year later and can't remember what the heck happened so ya have to start all over again! :confused:

Violanthe said:
If you were really into a book, why did you stop reading in the first place?

i'm guessing because she is young and in school and gets busy with school, activities, and life in general.

I just gave up on A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers. I hate giving up on a book but I just couldn't stick with this one, it was too gross, rambled too much and skipped around more than I like. Maybe I'll try it again later.

Back