• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Borrow books for your Kindle from your local library

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Kindle Lending Library comes with strict terms, preserved notes

Kindle users will soon be able to borrow Kindle books from more than 11,000 US libraries. Amazon made the unexpected announcement Wednesday morning, noting that users would be able to read the borrowed books on any Kindle-enabled device, including older-generation Kindles and apps on iOS, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone, Mac, or PC.

Lending period would be 7-14 days. I don't see a problem with this. It's how a real library works.

Wow, I was seriously considering the Nook when the time came to get my second e-reader, but with this, I can stick with Kindle.

My library is connected to a state "overdrive" where books can be downloaded to e-readers, or as pdf documents for a limited time. I just checked out my first book this way, VERY cool! I will definitely be looking into this option more in the future.

The Wichita Public Library just got this set up recently, and I just received word that the State Library of Kansas will have things ready for most e-reader users by today, and others readers will be good to go by Jan.31. That means me, since I have a kindle. What I noticed right away with Wichita is the limited titles available, and how jumbled their categories are. Kids books are mixed with adult titles in each category. And the waiting lists are long already. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out eventually.

Kindle? Welcome to the dark side. Muahahahahahahaha

I've been having fun collecting free books. I wish Amazon didn't force Kindle users to use our credit cards whenever we use their one-click purchase option. We don't have to do it with ordinary purchases. Until I can get an Amazon card bought, I'm sticking with the freebies.

the waiting lists are long already. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out eventually.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!! I'm on the waiting list for Bill Clinton's book. For all 1.6 million Nebraskans, they have two books....two! The list of books available is only 4,000. Obviously, they are working on it.

When it's your turn to borrow the e-Book, do you get an email or does it just show up on your Kindle?'

When the book becomes available you get an email. To get the book you checkout through overdrive which takes you to an amazon.com page where you can download the book to your kindle. You can choose how long of a checkout period you want 7 to 21 days but as long as you don't let your kindle connect to the internet you can keep reading the book after the checkout period expires. Comes in handy if a book becomes available but you really aren't in the mood to read it atm.

When the book becomes available you get an email. To get the book you checkout through overdrive which takes you to an amazon.com page where you can download the book to your kindle. You can choose how long of a checkout period you want 7 to 21 days but as long as you don't let your kindle connect to the internet you can keep reading the book after the checkout period expires. Comes in handy if a book becomes available but you really aren't in the mood to read it atm.

That is really good to know. I will have to remember not to turn on the net if I'm in danger of not finishing a library book in time.

Amazon has a new feature for Prime Members. An e-book may be borrowed once a month, kept out for as long as you want. No charges at all. I'm not sure exactly what books are available, haven't explored that feature yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?rh=...ag=ebest&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Long link but it shows all the books that are available for the program. Think the program has only been going for 3 months now, I know I've read the three Hunger Games books through it :), and they have added a huge amount in that time. Think they only had 5,000 books at the start and now it looks like they have 93,000. Not sure how many of them are actually worth reading but I think I can find my one a month.

I wouldn't sign up for Prime just for this program but if you buy a lot from amazon anyway it is a nice thing to have.

Interesting article, and he offers reasonable argument throughout. I agree with his conclusion: "we can’t simply base decision on what people have done before to varying degrees of success. We need more information to know what works and what doesn’t, and I don’t think we should eschew something that works just because we want to cling to other methods that used to, when the means of distribution were very different."

My only beef is that I can't get Kindle library books in Canada yet. I'm trying to get my friend in MN to let me use her library card, but she hasn't used it in so long its inactive. ARGH.

Move to the U.S., eh?

Free Kindle books vs free health care...hmmm. No contest buddy, sorry. Me likey Canada and all its flaws. I can be patient until they release Kindle books in our libraries.

Eh. (Sorry I forgot to add that so you'd know I was a Canuck. ;) )

Back