• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Boston Marathon attack

But by Golly Gum they do speak with a very loud voice then, what on earth happened to democracy? It isn't the loudest voice that should hold the day but the one with the mostest votes? right? Oh wait I forget its the one the with mostest $$$ that speaks the loudest and we all know where the NRA puts their $$$ to work.

I don't think that has anything to do with the point I was trying to make, which is that because of the small number of armed citizens, there obviously are not going to be overwhelming numbers supporting the concept that armed citizens can effectively protect themselves. AND FOR THE RECORD, I am not a member or active supporter of the NRA. So we are alike in that respect.

You seem like an intelligent person who really cares about protecting your family and yet you manage to persist in ignore the fact that carry gun isn't the protection you think it is, may in fact create danger that would not have existed without it, puts your family at risk from an accidental shooting (do you know the statistics on accidental gun deaths? by toddlers?) and that you are far better off being vigilently aware of dangers and making yourself less of a target in that way.

I think that in some cases you may be very correct, but I think the problem is you are applying cookie cutter logic to every single individual and situation. I am OCD safe with my guns, in relation to my child. I also think I am "far better off" being both vigilantly aware of dangers, AND, being armed. That is my opinion.

I think I will abstain from commenting on the whole ocean full of prejudiced comments in that lot.

Yes there are social problems associated with violence. Getting a gun is not any kind of solution to any of them. You'd do more by starting a non-profit to help educate some of those kids and beeing a positive male role model for them. Just enrolling in a 'Big Brother' program will do more than buying a gun.

That is a good point. I personally volunteered with my local Big Brothers chapter mentoring a young guy for the better part of three years. I also am the executive chair of a non profit organization in my community called Community Fatherhood, which helps to promote and support fathers being an active and responsible influence in the lives of their children. These experiences along with my many mis-adventures, friendships and hard learned lessons as a child and a young man have helped form some of my feelings, which are expressed in the above quoted prejudiced thoughts. :)

Meadow, I believe very strongly that your opinions and views are exactly the right ones for you. I just don't feel they are all for me. That is not to say that I don't agree with a lot of what you say, it just means I don't think they are applicable to everyone. I also think there are deeper causes for violence in our country that need to be addressed rather than just saying "get rid of guns".

Be the force for the change you want.

Are you able to be a force for the change you may want in S.A.? It seems to me that there may be many problems in your own homeland which could probably do with some fixing. But then maybe you are already spearheading some initiative that you could perhaps tell us about. I'm sure every country has problems which need attention. Are there steps being taken where you are that would avoid something like the Boston Marathon Attack from happening and could be helpful.

I don't know how to quote correctly. Someone help me. :rofl

The quote tags get messed up when using this fancy rich-text editor and trying to do complex embedded multi-quoting. You'll have to put in your quote tags manually. Sorry dude.

I dunno, man. My interpretation makes way more sense; howver, I will concede that I think the "you'll" in her quote is throwing me off. Regardless, you have a habit of making vague posts (while I have a habit of using 3 sentences to say what can be said in less). So, stop being so vague. :D
Very very sorry sparky. That is the very first time in all our years together that you have said there was anything wrong with the way I posted. Live and learn! I'll certainly try to do better.
Glad you spoke up,
Very sincerely
peder.

Are you able to be a force for the change you may want in S.A.? It seems to me that there may be many problems in your own homeland which could probably do with some fixing. But then maybe you are already spearheading some initiative that you could perhaps tell us about. I'm sure every country has problems which need attention. Are there steps being taken where you are that would avoid something like the Boston Marathon Attack from happening and could be helpful.

I guess what you are asking is what change am I effecting on the macro level, which I'm not, but on the micro level - every day! And no I don't believe that is ineffective. It's just a different approach. Sort of a chaos theory - butterfly wings and all that kind of approach. The little things add up to big things.

Hi Meadow: Perhaps you could give me an example of what you mean about the micro level, do you mean little kindnesses performed on a daily basis or a hand of friendship? Or helping one situation at a time? That kind of thing?

Hi Meadow: Perhaps you could give me an example of what you mean about the micro level, do you mean little kindnesses performed on a daily basis or a hand of friendship? Or helping one situation at a time? That kind of thing?

Yes something like that.

Back