• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Breakfast

Ronny said:
So Marmite & Vegimite are yeast spreads but they taste different?
Very different

What's the difference between the two?
Marmite is /much/ better :D
Vegemite is a lot sweeter than marmite, and marmite has a lot stronger taste. Marmite in a sandwich can sometimes be a bit much to handle - but it tastes great in a potato chip and marmite snadwich. I can't believe that you have been deprived of that delicacy :eek: :D

Do they taste like anything else?
Not that I can think of ... Kook, you wanna take this one?

Ronny said:
So Marmite & Vegimite are yeast spreads but they taste different?

Very different

What's the difference between the two?

Vegemite is *much* better
Marmite has a different texture as well - it's more syruppy, while vegemite is more of a paste. Tourists who try the stuff spread vegemite thickly on bread or toast like they would peanut butter, which would just be far too strong - you only need a bit. I guess I'd describe it as salty, but smooth. It's the best cure for a hangover EVER, and when I'm feeling a little queasy I frequently make myself vegemite toast!! I had at leat half a vegemite sandwich in my lunch every day of school because if you were feeling ill at all and couldn't face sandwich meat, the vegemite sandwich was always a fallback. It tastes great with cheese, although the Kraft Singles they made with cheese and vegemite already together were pretty gross. Vegemite on soldiers of toast dunked in boiled eggs is also great!!

Do they taste like anything else?
MonkeyCatcher said:
Not that I can think of ... Kook, you wanna take this one?
Erm... can't think of anything either!

:D It's a name that is given to encourage small children to eat their breakfast and thus it sticks :p

If I have breakfast before I go to bed I have a sausage cheese biscuit sandwich which we keep on hand in the freezer. If I don't, breakfast is usually a sandwich, pasta or leftovers from the fridge.

I love all breakfast foods. I just can't choose.

MonkeyCatcher said:
So are they called soldiers because they are all lined up?
I think because they're long and thin. This is the way my dad used to make me eggs on the weekend, and I'd get a slice of vegemite toast cut into soldiers which I'd then push right down into the bottom of the egg. When it was filled, you peel off the shell and then eat the whole solid mass of bread, vegemite and egg. YUM!

Kookamoor said:
I'd get a slice of vegemite toast cut into soldier
/Vegemite/ toast! What's wrong with you! :p

Your'e like my step-dad, he puts vegemite on /everything/. Like when he makes a mince pie sandwich, there's vegemite on the bread, or a battered fish from the fish 'n chip shop, put between two slices of bread with vegemite on them. It's disgusting ! :eek:

wabbit...when i was in england, i did have an english breakfast, but never the black pudding...what is black pudding?

ricky said:
wabbit...when i was in england, i did have an english breakfast, but never the black pudding...what is black pudding?

Phil explained earlier in the thread : Black Pudding

As stated it is a small fried cake which consists of:

• Blood (usually pig)
  • Bread
  • Barley
  • Oatmeal
  • Suet
  • Sometimes cooked with offal (depending on where you go)

HTH :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
/Vegemite/ toast! What's wrong with you! :p

Your'e like my step-dad, he puts vegemite on /everything/. Like when he makes a mince pie sandwich, there's vegemite on the bread, or a battered fish from the fish 'n chip shop, put between two slices of bread with vegemite on them. It's disgusting ! :eek:
Vegemite and fish?!?! That's going a little far... although it does make excellent gravy for beef - no, really. It's the saltiness I think.

Fluffy pancakes with blueberry syrup and hashbrowns--usually at IHOP.....at midnight. Nothing beats IHOP. :D
th_coffee.jpg

ruby said:
Never eat breakfast! :eek:

Tut, tut! When I don't eat breakfast I usually find I get really hungry by around 11 o'clock and then I start to feel ill quite quickly afterwards.

I usually have a bowl of cereals, a banana, maybe a Cadbury's Brunch Bar and a lovely cup of tea. Occasionally I'll have only a few cereals and have a piece of toast or two with some lovely butter on them.

My cereals of choice often varies, but for the past 8 months or so I've been pretty much stuck on Nestle Cheerios and I'm not getting bored yet.

My favourite breakfast would have to be a (pretty) full English breakfast, maybe with a few slight changes to satisfy my tastes.

Lemming- I must second that tut, tut! From personal experience, I learned to eat breakfast.

In my last year of high school, my classes were such that I had no lunch period, but I got to leave early and have a late lunch at home. I have never really been a breakfast person, so eating early in the morning has always been a chore, but I realized I needed to make myself do it if I wanted to pass physics, my last class of the school day. If I did not eat any breakfast, I would not be hungry during physics, but I would be so sleepy that my eyes would cross and some days I just could not stay awake (that really annoyed my teacher). But if I did eat something for breakfast, I would be starving by my last class, but wide awake. So I'd bring a snack to have just before my last class. I was caught once finishing my snack during the beginning of class (teacher was not happy), and had to explain the whole breakfast thing to her. She was very forgiving and said she'd rather I eat in class than sleep in class.

So that's how eating breakfast helped me pass physics! :)

Back