• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Breaking Books

-Carlos-

How do you break-in a new book? :D

books.gif

I have to read all the extra stuff in a book before I can read it. I get a feel for the book: in-book reviews, copyright page, foreword, contents, how many chapters/parts/pages, and anything else that is not the main text (as long as it doesn't give the story away). After that the book feels broken enough to start. I can't purposely abuse a book, though, so no bending or cracking.

I don't like reading the extra stuff added besides the story. The Scarlet Letter was spoiled for me like that because I read the added forward introduction.

I usually just jump right into reading a book, but I dislike bending the spine.

Depends on the type of book. If it's non-fiction, I'll read the blurb on the back, the contents page, and have a quick rifle through the headings. Sometimes I read only the bits which interest me.

If it's fiction, I'll read the blurb on the back, swear something awful if it gives too much away :eek: then throw myself into it from the beginning. I don't peek at chapter titles as I prefer to have a sense of 'going on a voyage' with a novel. If it hasn't grabbed me by about page 70, I give up. :(

I like reading the reviews and synopsis, then I move on to the story. Sometimes I'll read the introductions, but only if they're not written by someone else as a tribute to the book (in case that person gives away important plot points and whatnot).

I'm becoming more selective about these introductory notes nowadays. If I am already aware of the basic storyline, as in the book is a classic that I've encountered in some form already( Muppet Babies stole all the good ones:rolleyes: ).. I might read the notes for background info. But if it is a totally new to me book, I've started skipping them til the end.

I usually just get into the book; sometimes I'll read the introduction, especially if its a classic, but for the most part, I just get right into the book. I sometimes read the blurb on the back of the book, but it really depends.

I usually just get into the book; sometimes I'll read the introduction, especially if its a classic, but for the most part, I just get right into the book. I sometimes read the blurb on the back of the book, but it really depends.

I'm the same way. I won't touch the intro or foreward on a book that I'm familiar with or don't know the general outline of. Lengthy introductions drive me nuts, can't stand in when they just go on an on in a pompous exercise of bloviating, since they were chosen to do an intro that in the whole scheme of things, doesn't matter worth a lick.

I don't read introductions until the end, and then only if I think I'll get something from them.

I start with the first page of author-written text. I try not to read chapter titles even as I'm reading the book ... I think they can give too much away.

I like to run them over with my car.

I avoid introductions like the plague after Jane Eyre was ruined for me in an introcuction. I should have realised, but I was a naive first year :(

I avoid intros just on general principal. They never give any information that you can't read afterward, and they have a tendancy to spoil things, so why read 'em? I've never had anything spoiled for me, personally, though.

I have to read all the extra stuff in a book before I can read it. I get a feel for the book: in-book reviews, copyright page, foreword, contents, how many chapters/parts/pages, and anything else that is not the main text (as long as it doesn't give the story away).

I do the same, except for the copyright page o_O
I feel that I understand the author's background and purpose of the novel better. I always liked the novel introductions in high school. I do not, however, enjoy the spoilers that might come with it

in terms of physically breaking in the book, I will bend the spine only if its already bent. I can't bring myself to do it myself even though it makes reading the book that much more comfortable. i will actually buy a bent-spined-book over a newer one in a used book store - it's much cheaper and more comfortable to read. (as long as there aren't highlighted passages)

If it is non fiction, I always look at the acknowledgements.

I'm curious to see who the author hung out with while he/she was getting it together. Special warm spot for those who bless their spouses for forbearance, love and the rest. As a teacher who can't stop teaching, I admit to reading blubs, back covers and introductions, although I skip introductions written by known right-wingers and dodos.

Back