• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clive Cussler

Shade said:
I find myself more amenable to happy endings as I get older, but I still like a bit of rich, satisfying bleakness. Read Richard Yates, or Joseph Heller's Something Happened: these aren't depressing, they're intoxicatingly, heart-fillingly joyous because of their honesty, truth and beauty, both linguistic and emotional. Of course I would find it mighty boring if all the books I read were like that: just as I would find it mighty boring if all the books I read had the good guy winning all the time. But then, I can't remember the last book I read that had a good guy / bad guy scenario.

Sounds like a fun change of pace. I'll have to consider.

dele said:
Not just a little. ;)

How can the good guys lose? Dirk was an air force academy grad and he works for NUMA under the intrepid command of Adm. Sandecker. Not only that, but his best friend has arms the size of most people's legs. Add to that his girlfriend is a congresswoman who has some institutional power. How can the guy possbily lose? :D

SFG75 said:
How can the good guys lose? Dirk was an air force academy grad and he works for NUMA under the intrepid command of Adm. Sandecker. Not only that, but his best friend has arms the size of most people's legs. Add to that his girlfriend is a congresswoman who has some institutional power. How can the guy possbily lose? :D

All true, but he somehow manages to end up the underdog, and you know how people love the underdog.

O.k., I'm pretty much set on reading Inca Gold after I'm done with my current non-fiction reading. With school starting, I'm beginning to get more than my full share of essays, position papers, book analysis, and other "serious" stuff. I need some book-candy to keep myself sane. :D

SFG75 said:
O.k., I'm pretty much set on reading Inca Gold after I'm done with my current non-fiction reading. With school starting, I'm beginning to get more than my full share of essays, position papers, book analysis, and other "serious" stuff. I need some book-candy to keep myself sane. :D

Book candy? I suppose you could call it that. :cool:

By the way, SFG75, please let me know if you decide to read the Clancy Novel. It might be fun to pick it up again and discuss it.

One time, I had the misfortune to suffer the travesty that is 'Atlantis Found'. I actually read the whole thing out of some sado-masochistic will that possessed me for the duration. Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."

O.k., Inca Gold it is for me!. Proud to say that I currently finished reading the non-fiction book that I've been enjoying immensely. I just got done grading a stack of papers and I could use a good Dirk Pitt adventure. :cool: Some of those papers, would've been something that not even Dirk could improve. :rolleyes:

Robert said:
I haven't heard many good things about it. Have you seen it?

Just the previews on t.v. The lawsuit by Clive has really taken the wind out of the sails. With that being said, I'll probably still buy it and try to haggle the rental place for the poster of it. I doubt the studios will mess with Clive again after Raise the Titanic! the movie and Sahara. Dirk won't be made famous in the movies. :(

I'm going to buy it! It was a fun movie, nothing spectacular, and it didn't exactly do credit to Cussler's books and characters, but the movie was fun.

dele said:
I'm going to buy it! It was a fun movie, nothing spectacular, and it didn't exactly do credit to Cussler's books and characters, but the movie was fun.

Good, I like fun movies. I may have to check it out.

Back