• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Clive Cussler

Well, I finished Inca Gold today and I've got to say that the ending was something that I didn't see coming. It was amazing how the ending shifted within the last one hundred pages or so. Cussler does have a good sense of humor and I in particular enjoyed the exchange about Dirk and a certain fish. :D Valhalla Rising had more twists and turns that were less predictable than this one, but I think it was fine. Not certain which book I'll read next-but we'll see.

SFG75 said:
Sahara is out on DVD today in the states. Anyone going to go out and buy it? :)

I checked it out today. Cussler fans should can get through it as long as they don't compare it to the book. It wasn't great, but it was fun to watch.

O.k, rented Sahara tonight and I had some pretty low expectations of it given the fact that lawsuits are flying all over the place and it wasn't exactly the best money-maker by far. With that being said, the actor who plays Al Giordino does a wonderful job in the film. He's an absolute riot and some of the interaction between him and Dirk in the film is believable as how Cussler would've wrote it. Matthew McConaughey(sp?) isn't a convincing Dirk though. If Dirk was pushing 40 in the books, then perhaps Harrison Ford would've been a more believable actor to cast into that role. Some humorous scenes overall, but definitely a one time rental. :)

I'm reading an E.L. Doctorow book right now that although I enjoy due to it's historical characters, is going very sloooooooowly and in a cumbersome manner. I'm thinking of just stopping since I get bored with it real quick. I've had Altantis Rising for weeks on a shelf, I'll probably break it out later tonight.

Anyone read this? Thoughts on it?

A fellow forumist has a very interesting blog about Cussler amazing writing gift.

He goes step by step through Valhalla Rising and he is spot-on underlining the immense talent of Clive:D

Here is an exemple

I know I’ve been a bit mean about Clive’s writing so far, but sometimes he takes a time-tested staple of the literary arts and gives it an inspirational twist. For example: characterisation, which is undoubtedly all about drawing a picture in your reader’s mind, bringing a human being to life with mere words, and is surely one of the cornerstones of fine fiction. And, if I may ask a rhetorical question, what BETTER way to draw such a lexicographical picture than by having your hero look at himself in a mirror? Then he’ll be seeing those same words too! It’s so simple, it’s genius!

The face and body on the other side were not what they were ten years ago. The hair had yet to show any indications of baldness. It was still thick, black and wavy( like a cataclysmic oil spillage perhaps), but grey was beginning to creep in along the temples. The piercing green eyes beneath dense eyebrows had yet to dim. They were eyes passed on by his mother, and they had a hypnotic quality about them that seemed to reach into the very soul of people who came into contact with him. (Sleep)… Women were especially absorbed by his eyes. (SLEEP! )They sensed an aura about them, something that revealed him as a down-to-earth man who could be trusted. (SLEEEEEEEEP!)

Very moving. Cussler effortlessly creates not just a telling picture, but somehow manages to make his hero seem very familiar to his reader, as if we already knew him well, as if his face was already one… in our… er…

[Page 49] …opaline green eyes… tall… lean… black hair… wavy… touch of gray… craggy features – wait – [Page 105] …craggy features – Huh.
Hmm. I wonder if Cussler is going to re-describe his hero every fifty pages or so through the entire book. Maybe, while rescuing a school bus full of screaming doe-eyed choirboys he’ll catch a glimpse of himself in the rear-view mirror and be transported on wings of memory to – well, let’s not get ahead of our selves. Repetative or not, it’s powerful stuff. Something tells me Dirk Pitt® is quite the pork swordsman. I can’t speak for the women out there – men haven’t been allowed that privilege since the 1950’s – but I’ve got to say – well, the 70’s – I’ve got to say that this humble man is pretty damn absorbed by those eyes too. And who wouldn’t be, with auras like that? Pitt® himself continues staring into the mirror (not to mention lightly running the fingers of one hand over his body) for another six paragraphs while thinking deeply. About things like… family.

If your interested in more here The Thriller in a Manila is the full thing.
I love it.

Enjoy.

I liked a few of his books enough to read them through, definitely can't call myself a fan... I prefer his older works, especially over the ones with "Partner authors." This is but a rumor I have heard tell of, but has anyone else heard that all he does lately is write a skeleton "plot" and send it to the other author to write all the details and developments? It would be very unfortunate if true, I have a hard time accepting it, but some of his books do feel this way.

I'm reading an E.L. Doctorow book right now that although I enjoy due to it's historical characters, is going very sloooooooowly and in a cumbersome manner. I'm thinking of just stopping since I get bored with it real quick. I've had Altantis Rising for weeks on a shelf, I'll probably break it out later tonight.

Anyone read this? Thoughts on it?

Are you talking about Atlantis Found or Valhalla Rising? I've read them both and in my opinion, Atlantis Found is the better of the two.

I liked a few of his books enough to read them through, definitely can't call myself a fan... I prefer his older works, especially over the ones with "Partner authors." This is but a rumor I have heard tell of, but has anyone else heard that all he does lately is write a skeleton "plot" and send it to the other author to write all the details and developments? It would be very unfortunate if true, I have a hard time accepting it, but some of his books do feel this way.

His earlier work is much better then the newer stuff. I have heard that other writers are writing his later books, but I yet to see anything come from a credible source.

I've heard these rumours too. Looking at the writing style and the rate at which he's pumping out new books, I tend to believe it.

Are you talking about Atlantis Found or Valhalla Rising? I've read them both and in my opinion, Atlantis Found is the better of the two.

I was in the middle of a Doctorow book that was just horrid. Ragtime I think it was. I had yet to read Valhalla Rising, but I'm glad as it got me out of the Ragtime rut.:)

I was in the middle of a Doctorow book that was just horrid. Ragtime I think it was. I had yet to read Valhalla Rising, but I'm glad as it got me out of the Ragtime rut.:)

Ah come on now,rescued from Doctorow by Clive Cussler!

I only read The March from the man but i was very impressed.
After, it depend on what you read for,i love reading easy and fun stuff now and then but i don't mix my rags with the towels(?you say that in English?).
I'm not into 30's America stories so Ragtime would not be my choice but i certainly will read more Doctorow and i heard loads of good about Ragtime.
I have two others on my shelves,Waterwork and something..

Back