• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coffee

what did we do before Mr. Coffees? we waited around for the percolators to stop perking. It was so terribly difficult to not be able to see the coffee until it was poured.

Miss Shelf said:
what did we do before Mr. Coffees? we waited around for the percolators to stop perking. It was so terribly difficult to not be able to see the coffee until it was poured.

I think percolated coffee is much more tasty than the drip stuff. Just an opinion, probably tied more to nostalgia than fact.

Mom used to make the big percolator on weekends and I loved the smell that filled the house!

goooood stuff!

ooh, yeah-that smell, especially in winter! Did you have an electric or stove top percolator? we had both, the electric was saved for company and special occasions. We still have it and use it once in a while.

Miss Shelf said:
ooh, yeah-that smell, especially in winter! Did you have an electric or stove top percolator? we had both, the electric was saved for company and special occasions. We still have it and use it once in a while.

My folks always had an electric percolator. It was as close as anything I've ever had to navy coffee served during the midwatch. For those that don't know, the midwatch goes from midnight until 4am in the morning. The coffee that you typically got during the midwatch was usually brewed about 4pm for th evening meal. Talk about strong coffee that you could stand your spoon in.

Miss Shelf said:

We had both, Miss Shelf. Mom would start the stove-top on Saturday mornings. We, too would use the big electric one for company!

(Navy coffee sucks, anyway, Robert. Not to mention midwatch coffee! We had the same deal in the Corps. It would definitely keep you awake though! I prefer strong coffee, but that special 'burnt' smell and taste that the Navy has mastered is disgusting!)

leckert said:
(Navy coffee sucks, anyway, Robert. Not to mention midwatch coffee! We had the same deal in the Corps. It would definitely keep you awake though! I prefer strong coffee, but that special 'burnt' smell and taste that the Navy has mastered is disgusting!)

You'll get no argument from me, leckert.

leckert said:
sounded like some kind of foreign fruity-tooty crap like you blue noses drink!

:D

I would plead guilty to that kind of thing. :eek: I get upset if the wife buys anything less than gourmet these days. I've been ruined forever. :D Yes, I'm a coffee snob-I bring my own thermos rather than drink from the communal Mr. Coffee dripper at work that by the end of the day, has coffee that would raise the dead.

this is a long thread... I'm lazy to scan all the post. But, talking about coffee, i love the art of it, latte, with shapes of leaves and heart and apples on the top of the coffee. Ever seen before?

come to drinking coffee, it brings me headache sometimes. I can't drink it always.

Back