• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coffee

I'm not a big fan of "standard" coffee and hate Starfucks and all those other Walmart-becoming-commercial-coffee-company drinks... but home espresso, that's where the fun's at. I've got a Bezerra unit at home with a grinder that grinds beans worthy of any god. Specialty drinks... mmm...

Here's a vendor image of my baby (not the same grinder, but close):

espresso.jpg

Do you drink it? How often?How many cups a day/week?
Not as much as I used to (a pot a day when I was in high school and my first year or two in college). Now, I barely have any at all, maybe one when studying late - but mostly I don't drink at all (my New Year resolution).

What do you put in it?
It used to be lots of cream and lots of sugar (I didn't even count how many packs of sugar I put in my coffee - I'd just grab a handful and dump it into a little cup. It was terrible that I did it, but it was good). Now, I prefer French Vanilla creamer, and one packet of Splenda for an 8oz cup of coffee (heh, "8oz" and "cup" - redundant).

Ever had Iced Coffee?
Who hasn't? :p

Do you consider yourself addicted to it?
I was when I was in high school. If I didn't have my fix I would have terrible head aches.

Who, or where makes the best coffee?
Some place in Corpus Christi, TX. I had this wonderful Vanilla/Honey Latte.

Anyway, I decided that since I'm getting older, I can't drink coffee the way I used to (I quit smoking recently as well - trying to be a healthier person). When I do drink coffee, I try to just stick with decaf. As a woman ( :rolleyes: ) I need as much calcium as I can get and caffeine prevents the calcium from gettin' to your bones (or something like that). So yeah, I miss it... I always loved coffee and cigarettes and a good book. Love the way they smell (coffee, cigarettes, and book)... but gotta eliminate two ;)
(I have a lot of coffee scented candles though!)

I don't drink coffee, ever. I do drink coffee milk every once in a while, but I doubt it has any caffine in it.

(I have a lot of coffee scented candles though!)

I think that would make me miss coffee even more, I can go without a long time but if I smell it I have to have some.

Depends, what kind do you drink? They have differnt levels of cafine in them. If you want to know if you are addicted then go cold turkey for at least 3 days. If you don't get the mother of all headaches then you are not addicted :D

I'm for sure addicted to coffee. I have actually cut down. If i dont drink coffee for a few days I get the worst headache ever and feel sick like a dog.

anyway, gotta keep that bunny bouncing :D

sirmyk said:
I'm not a big fan of "standard" coffee and hate Starfucks and all those other Walmart-becoming-commercial-coffee-company drinks... but home espresso, that's where the fun's at. I've got a Bezerra unit at home with a grinder that grinds beans worthy of any god. Specialty drinks... mmm...

Here's a vendor image of my baby (not the same grinder, but close):

espresso.jpg

Oooooooooooooooooooooh :D Now you are talking!

I like to gring my own beans but it's a seperate unit. That's a nice machine!

And yeah, starbucks is crappy. It's the macdonalds of coffee. They took European cafe culture, took all the charm and quality out of it, homogenised it, and stuck a brand name on it.

Cold, charmless, clinical, over priced, and crappy tasting. Still... it will do in a pinch :D

leckert, not sure where in "Northern Virginia" you are....but there is a Badass in Manassis (I think I spelled that right)...it's the closest one I know of to you...and me too. I have considered a road trip just to see what it's like for real. Is it crazy to drive for around 2.5 hours each direction to get some blinkin' coffee??????

Wabbit said:
Oooooooooooooooooooooh :D Now you are talking!

I like to gring my own beans but it's a seperate unit. That's a nice machine!

And yeah, starbucks is crappy. It's the macdonalds of coffee. They took European cafe culture, took all the charm and quality out of it, homogenised it, and stuck a brand name on it.

Cold, charmless, clinical, over priced, and crappy tasting. Still... it will do in a pinch :D

You are absolutely right. I have one of those you put on the stove, just like the one in your picture, and an electric expresso one but nothing as sofisticated as syrmik's

Cool, where did you get yours maker? Nothing beats it. I could get an electric one but ( maybe it's silly ) I just like the charm of the stove top version. :)

I can recommend HAS BEAN by the way. They do some great coffee. They are a really good company. They sent me the wrong coffee once. I emailed them explaining, and they replied back that they were sorry for the mistake and I could keep the coffee as a gift! They sent me the one I had originally ordered via first class post the next day! Now that's service!

I'm drinking an dark roasted Italian espresso right now :D Mmmmmm

Motokid said:
leckert, not sure where in "Northern Virginia" you are....but there is a Badass in Manassis (I think I spelled that right)...it's the closest one I know of to you...and me too. I have considered a road trip just to see what it's like for real. Is it crazy to drive for around 2.5 hours each direction to get some blinkin' coffee??????

I would :D

I guess it's safe to say sirmyk and Wabbit are on a whole different level than most of us...I mean..do you guys ever sleep? Jimminy Christmas....you guys are wired....

Wabbit said:
Cool, where did you get yours maker? [\QUOTE]
I bought it in Spain.

I can recommend HAS BEAN by the way. They do some great coffee. They are a really good company. They sent me the wrong coffee once. I emailed them explaining, and they replied back that they were sorry for the mistake and I could keep the coffee as a gift! They sent me the one I had originally ordered via first class post the next day! Now that's service!

Is that a lot more expensive? Do they sell fair trade coffee?

Motokid said:

Very cool! Manassas is like 15 minutes from me (same county!). I will have to look up their address and head out there this weekend!

If you do come down, and you wouldn't mind company, let me know! I can definitely meet you there!

Thanks, Moto.

Manassas, VA
10390 Portsmouth Rd.
Manassas, VA 20109

According to the map it looks like it's spitting distance from the Manassas Mall.

Motokid said:
Manassas, VA
10390 Portsmouth Rd.
Manassas, VA 20109

According to the map it looks like it's spitting distance from the Manassas Mall.

Oh, wow. I have probably driven right by it several times and didn't notice it!

The Mall area is a pretty busy area. I am definitely going to check that out.

clueless said:
Wabbit said:
Cool, where did you get yours maker? [\QUOTE]
I bought it in Spain.

Is that a lot more expensive? Do they sell fair trade coffee?

I got mine in Spain too.

They are a little more expensive but then you are paying for a better product. So I suppose you have to expect that :)

If I buy from the supermarket then I get lavazza and that costs me £2.20 and some coffee from HasBean on average is around £3.00 so for vaule its REALLY good. I have looked at other sites that sell coffee and they charge a whole lot more for the same product.

Of course they sell mroe expensive coffee. They have a wide range of prices.

Yeah, they do sell fair trade coffee too although they are not big fans of fair trade because they have issues with it actually being fair. The company actually deals directly with the coffee growers and buy from a lot of small estates. But if you want that, they have it :)

Motokid said:
I guess it's safe to say sirmyk and Wabbit are on a whole different level than most of us...I mean..do you guys ever sleep? Jimminy Christmas....you guys are wired....
Aaaahh... where do I start? Well, when you've got a machine that pushes a hundred-something pounds per square inch of water onto fresh espresso beans grounded to perfection, you end up with four ounces (2 shots) of some of the most outstanding espresso imaginable. The machine above has a dual peculating type device (where the espresso comes out)... and the espresso is so thick, that it has a quarter-inch foam head per shot (the espresso is creamy, not reminiscent of black coffee). If you run the espresso machine longer than the basic 2-shot run, you will notice that clear water will peculate through after the full four ounces are produced... which basically means there is no more "bean" left in the bean, because you have literally pushed all the flavor out of those beans. One shot from my Bizzera is realistically equal to two, maybe three shots of Starbucks espresso. So a double shot "whatever-you-want-to-make" drink is usually a once-a-day type drink, which must be enjoyed before 2:00 in the afternoon if you want to sleep by midnight. But the taste you get from the espresso puts regular coffee/espresso to shame... a "once you try it you never go back" deal... kind of like switching to broadband... It can also steam/froth 16oz of milk in about 30 seconds ad has a steamed water tap as well.

(contemplating making a double-shot white chocolate mocha with a single-shot of Bailey's Irish Cream... just fainted...)

Oh yeah... (coming out of the daze...) the cost per drink (for 16-20oz) is usally between $0.10 and $0.40 depending on what goes into it. Milk is the most costly additive. Starfucks is making what... $3.50 profit per drink?

Luckily I did some tradework and didn't have to pay a cent for the setup. Although, now that I look back, the two grand this setup would have cost would have been well worth it... (quick math: $3.50-4.00 x 356 (drink a day per year) = $1246.00-$1424.00...). So if I bought the setup for two grand... it would have paid for itself in a little over a year. Luckily the thing has a 15 year warranty / 30 year maintenance warranty... so I'm good for a while.

Back