• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Right now I'm reading a pretty good book by one of the entertainment industries greatest: Jerry Weintraub. The narrative of the book is very interesting in that you get to hear a number of great stories about Jerry's life. His rise to becoming one of Hollywoods greatest agents came from his roots as a hustler on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

The stories really are what make this book great. If I had to critique one thing about the book, however, I'd say that the book isn't written in the most elegant prose. Some like to read very simple sentences, almost as if you are having a simple conversation with someone, but others (like myself) like to read things that sing off the page. To each their own...

Overall, I really like the fun stories that Jerry shares and thought it was a compelling read on how to make your way through life. If you want to pick it up, go for it: By Jerry Weintraub: When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead: Useful Stories from a Persuasive Man

I don't know him but he'd be an interesting guy to meet. Do you know him?

His stories of old time Vegas and meeting really interesting characters are pretty amazing... I'm sure he'd be a fun guy to share a few beers with.

I just finished "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson, a detailed snapshot of the lives of U.S. Ambassador William Dodd and his family in Hitler's Germany during the 30's.
All in all a compelling tale. There is intrigue, deceit, brutality and madness aplenty. But the real story here is how the leaders of the "powerful and just" nations of the world failed to heed the warnings of Dodd and men like him at a time when, if they would have listened and taken action, tragedy might have been avoided.
Larson does a great job of providing all the little details that help form the complete picture of Dodd, his promiscuous and idealistic daughter Martha, and all of the statesman and intriguers of the time. His observations on men like Hitler and Goring are taken directly from the writings of the ambassadors and poltical figures of the day and reveal an almost surreal estimation of these men. Almost as if the behavior of Hitler, Goring and Goebbels was so ludicrous and downright odd that it lulled them into a belief that the regime simply could not and would not be tolerated by the army or the people of Germany. How terribly wrong they were.
:star4:

"Salt" is a really interesting account of how the mineral has played such a huge role in human history and conflict, without it it was impossible to go to war since you couldn't really preserve food. So there's always been a ton of conflict, well not always before humans invented mining, to get access to it.

About half way through Berlin 1961 by Frederick Kempe. Indepth coverage of Kennedy and Khrushchev during that time.

Just finished Just Kids by Patti Smith. An autobiography/biography of her life and her life with Robert Mapplethorpe (sp?). It's a must read for anyone who is even the slightest fan of Patti Smith. Very interesting and a surprise around every corner.

Just starting Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. The story of deep sea diving and the discovery of an unknown, undocumented U Boat off New Jersey. Dragged a little in the beginning and picking up with the actual dive and discovery.

Just finished Just Kids by Patti Smith. An autobiography/biography of her life and her life with Robert Mapplethorpe (sp?). It's a must read for anyone who is even the slightest fan of Patti Smith. Very interesting and a surprise around every corner.

Just starting Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. The story of deep sea diving and the discovery of an unknown, undocumented U Boat off New Jersey. Dragged a little in the beginning and picking up with the actual dive and discovery.

Here is beer good's review on Just Kids: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f6/patti-smith-just-kids-21206.html?highlight=patti

Just started Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. It sounds good based on the preface.

Les plus Beaux Raids à Skis - Mario Colonel, Jean-René Minelli .
Pensez autrement par le Ski - Bernard Chesneau .
Le Télémark - Du virage à l'élégance - Lionel Condemine .

apmcdn.priceminister.com_photo_Colonel_Mario_Les_Plus_Beaux_Raids_A_Skis_Livre_895918760_ML.jpg
awww.images_chapitre.com_ima2_newbig_572_35844572_8051898.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reading Life by Keith Richards. Finished chapter 1 and struggling with chapter 2. About to find out how interested I am in Keith's life. So far I'm not going to be accusing Keith of being a good writer or story teller. Hopefully his writing style will change as this book progresses. Right now the reading is a chore. Fingers crossed.

Biologie Évolutive - Frédéric Thomas , Thierry Lefevre , Michel Raymond .
Concepts et méthodes en Phylogénie moléculaire - Guy Perriere .

awww.images_chapitre.com_ima3_newbig_763_26456763_6972467.jpg

Last edited:
Le Cervin est-il africain ? : Une histoire géologique entre les Alpes et notre planète - Michel Marthaler.
Biologie des Organismes - Les rythmes biologiques chez les Animaux et les Végétaux - Jean Clos, Michel Coupé, Yves Muller .

aia700801_us_archive_org_zipview_php_62e90d15c7f4558a59be2c251d92c8da._.jpg

Last edited:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

amedia.npr.org_programs_atc_features_2008_nov_outliers_200.jpg_24e1e5b47dbab79b23d6a90a89dc3d35.jpg

Gladwell argues that success is heavily influenced by factors outside of personal control. Things such as circumstance, opportunity, and even culture can determine whether or not a person can become truly successful. Using Bill Gates, blood feuds in Appalachia, common month birthday trends in junior hockey leagues in Canada, and a Jewish lawyer's rise as examples, Gladwell outlines how each individual or group went on to succeed beyond their own efforts. Still reading, I'm about 3/4ths the way done-about to find out why Asian kids are better at math.;)

Faits et mécanismes de l'évolution biologique - Louis Allano , Alex Clamens .
Biologie des Organismes - Perception du milieu, mouvement et communication chez les Animaux et les Végétaux - Jean Clos, Michel Coupé, Marc Coumans .

9782729860776-faits-mecanimes-evolution-biologique.jpg

Last edited:
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Only a few chapters in -- the new US ambassodor's family is just settling into Hitler's Berlin (1933-34) -- but what a difference between the America of then and now! Very hard to imagine such days.

Hello everyone :)

I finished reading "Fatal Purity:Robespierre and the French Revolution " by Ruth Scurr. It's a historical account of Robespierre's life and his influential rule in the revolution , especially during The Reign of Terror.

It was an excellent read :star5:

Currently reading "The Days of the French Revolution " by Christopher Hibbert.

Back