• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

rockshow.jpg

I think the gold standard for Memoir is J. Walls "The Glass Castle". Also read another memoir that is dear to my heart, "Songs of My Families", a 37 Year Odyssey from Korea to America and Back."

I think the gold standard for Memoir is J. Walls "The Glass Castle". Also read another memoir that is dear to my heart, "Songs of My Families", a 37 Year Odyssey from Korea to America and Back."

Are you Kelly or Brad?

I'm having another stab at Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. The guy really likes his similes, which is probably a good thing - so far I almost don't feel stupid at all.

I'm reading Peter Ackroyd's London: The Biography. Very much recommended. He writes about the history of a living city, not in a strict chronological order but rather by uncovering layers, all the different aspects of 2,000 years of history, all the different cities existing alongside each other in time and place; one chapter about the merchants, one about the mapmakers, one about the theatres, etc etc etc.

I think I just read about that book in The Economist

Is it an e-book only? I think I just read a blurb about it in The Economist, which was rather intriguing. Last week's issue had a 'Special Report' on London (about 15 pages) that you might find interesting. Just a suggestion and thanks for the heads-up on the book.

Leonardo Noto

The one I have is a huge 800-page tome, so no, definitely not an e-book only. Peter Ackroyd has about two dozen acclaimed books under his belt, so he's not exactly self-published. :)

Thanks for the tip about The Economist!

Chef de Cordée - Riccardo Cassin .
Trois Curés en Montagne - Jean Sarenne .

amyboox.f6m.fr_images_livres_reference_0021_11_trois_cures_en_8bf16f86421aead7da82e824d329c537.gif aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_aa51e581c82a11f454e3e8f548de3982._.jpg

Last edited:
Change Your Life, Change Your Brain

Change Your Life, Change Your Brain, by Dr. Amen. A medicine/psychiatry book written for the general public but also a great read for anyone in the medical field. Great, no B.S. advice on how to improve your brain functioning and also an interesting discussion of functional brain imaging. I sent a difficult diagnosis to his clinic about a year ago and I was impressed with the use of functional brain imaging for psychiatric diagnosis. I fully expect it to revolutionize psychiatry in the coming decades.

Leonardo Noto

leonardonoto.com | Physician, Paratrooper, Boxer/Grappler Turned Grumpy Old Writer!

Sarah Silverman's autobiography, The Bedwetter. It has plenty of the raunchiness and edginess that Silverman is known for, but she also gets serious on several occasions. I find it a really enjoyable read so far!

Le Singe en Nous & Primates et Philosophes - Frans de Waal .
El Antropólogo Inocente - Nigel Barley .

El puesto del Hombre en el Cosmos - Max Scheler .

a1.bp.blogspot.com__1PQC5WG940A_TfPeOchywiI_AAAAAAAACtg_QQg2d7UPLQY_s1600_Imagen.jpg

Last edited:
Gilded Lives, Fatal Voyage: The Titanic's First-Class Passengers and Their World by Hugh Brewster (Author). I really enjoyed this book. It gives you a window not only on the tragedy itself but on the gilded age and the lives of various personalities involved. Brewster brought the names to life for me in a new way other books I've read on this theme have not. Unfortunately it makes the event even more tragic.

Alexandre de Humboldt: Historien et Géographe de l'Amérique espagnole, ( 1799-1804) - Charles Minguet .
ISLANDE - Splendeurs et colères d'une île ( Volcanologie/ Géologie ) - Michel Detay...
Temps de la Terre, temps de l'Homme - Patrick de Wever .

awww.confrontations.info_wp_content_uploads_2011_04_islande_300x261.jpg
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51pSaQaFMRL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked it up yesterday, soon to be my second string read next to the Tom Wolfe book I'm reading now.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31z42m7Ky_L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Higgs by Jim Baggott, Introduction by Steven Weinberg. "The Invention and Discovery of the 'God' Particle."

On Dialogue: David Bohm.
Bohm is always very readable. Brings up some interesting points: a good part of communication is tacit understanding. He posits we are forgetting this and thus despite all the different means of communication available to us, we are struggling with dialogue. Actively creating a conversation is the way to build tacit understanding instead of the usual passing of information and instructions back and forth. There is more, but you should go read the book yourself to find it.

Back