• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Let me know if you decide to convert! :D
I'm sorry to be boring, but I didn't :lol:

The book itself was really interesting as I didn't know much behind the writing of the gospels and now have a fuller knowledge of that, but the arguments employed were quite shaky and had numerous holes. Their justification of why a caring, good God would send people to hell was especially weak, and that's one of the problems that I would have to overcome before I could ever consider converting.

Their justification of why a caring, good God would send people to hell was especially weak, and that's one of the problems that I would have to overcome before I could ever consider converting.

MonkeyCatcher,

I reached the same conclusion when I read, God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer by Bart D. Ehrman.

I've lost all my religious/spiritual faith and I think I'm now at the point of no return.

MonkeyCatcher,

I reached the same conclusion when I read, God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer by Bart D. Ehrman.

I've lost all my religious/spiritual faith and I think I'm now at the point of no return.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm taking a Philosophy of Religion course this semester, and I've been trying to get my hands on good non-fiction in the area of religion. I find it fascinating.

I am reading conversations in the cathedral, (mario vargas llosa). Must admit am finding it a little dizzying, just gone through the first hundred pages but progress is slow cause its not making a lot of sense. Is it just me or is it cause the translation from Spanish to English didnt really work.

Did that book cause you to convert from Atheism to devout Christianity?

I'm not certain which sectarian group would hold the title of "devout" but perhaps that would describe all of them. My only point was that it's good to consider "the other side" when reading about a contentious issue. Quite frankly, I read enough "preaching to the choir" books, it's much more enjoyable to pick apart arguments that you don't necessarily agree with and the one that I selected offers an ample opportunity to do so. I particularly love how the second law of dynamics is morphed into an argument that says evolution can't possibly occur. On the other hand, their argument regarding the law of causality is more solid than I would readily admit.

Just checked out; The Enemy Within; 2,000 years of witch-hunting in the western world by John Demos. It really makes me curious about the Malleus Maleficarium.:cool:

Travels with Charley in Search of America by John Steinbeck.
An early 60s portrait of America as he circles it in his camper truck with his elderly dog, Charley.

It will take a slightly more in-depth review than that to convince me.

Well I am still halfway through the book but I know already that it's a gem. It is about all the great philosophers this world has seen. The book talks about the philosopher and then talks about their philosophy. It covers from Plato, Socrates till Burtrand Russel and more.
I was expecting the book to be boring but it is anything but that.
I can tell more once I am done reading the whole thing.

Two autobiographies-
Marguerite Yourcenar-Souvenirs Pieux (Dear departed)
Sandor Marai-Confession d'un Bourgoies

I started Yourcenar put it down and started Marai,then i realize that both birth are about the same time(1900). I have this extraordinary parallele of two writers lives (i admire) at the start of the century and there intake of history, their progression,the slowy becoming of great authors.

And then i started The master by Colm Toibin(not really a non fiction) about the life of Henry James.I'm getting slowly mixed up betwin their 3 lives and hope i'll manage to disociate them in the future.

The Forger: An Extraordinary Story of Survival in Wartime Berlin
by Cioma Schonhaus

What a great book.

Back