• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Current Non-Fiction reads

Genome: The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters by Matt Ridley.

A very insightful, facinating read!

Nazarbayev and the Making of Kazakhstan: From Communism to Capitalism by Jonathan Aitken

Escape from Camp 14: One man's remarkable odyssey from North Korea to freedom in the West by Blaine Harden.

The Prince

Machiavelli's The Prince. As much as this book gets demonized, I found it to actually be pretty reasonable advice for the most part. I listened to it on audiobook during my work commutes last week and I highly recommend it.

Stratigraphie Séquentielle - Histoire, Principes et Applications - Patrick De Wever .
Guide des méthodes de l'Archéologie - Jean-Paul Demoule, François Giligny, Anne Lehoërff, Alain Schnapp .

awww.unitheque.com_UploadFile_CouvertureS_T_9782711740680_stratigraphie_sequentielle_g.jpg

images

Last edited:
Hawaii Help

Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Freidman
Best guidebook on Hawaii I've come across.

I'm looking for a book about Hawaii that gives some historical and cultural background as well as what it's like today. Would the book that you mentioned do the trick? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Just finished Pearl Harbor Christmas by Stanley Weintraub. I really liked it as it contained some familiar stories about Churchill's stay at the White House.

41LrBgQPxdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I finished Carrie Fisher's Shockaholic not too long ago. Fisher has a sharp sense of humor, but only the book's final essay had any real depth.

Still reading up on The Beginning:

The Origin of the Universe - John D. Barrow

Cycles of Time - Roger Penrose

Just finished Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges. A very good book, one that I would highly recommend, though depressing.

51KMYekL6UL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished Death of the Liberal Class by Chris Hedges. A very good book, one that I would highly recommend, though depressing.

Thanks. Gotta read it! I have had the feeling they and I drifted apart a long time ago.

L'essor de la Géologie Française : Essais - Jean Gaudant .
Volcans de France - Frédéric Lécuyer .

Au commencement était le Poisson - Neil Shubin .

astatic.fnac_static.com_multimedia_FR_images_produits_FR_Fnac.com_ZoomPE_2_0_2_9782844949202.jpgaencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_a278586536c8806bb9aee9fb40ccc3cc._.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'm curious - are there actual live volcanoes in France, or are they all dead since millions of years? I have to confess the latter sound more interesting to read about than the former...

Now I'm curious - are there actual live volcanoes in France, or are they all dead since millions of years?
Well, in France there are the dead volcanoes and also the asleep volcanoes . In le Massif Central we can find the dead volcanoes as Le volcan du Cantal whose last volcanic activity is dated in 2 millions years ; and also the asleep volcanoes as le lac Pavin ( Monts Dore ) whose last volcanic activity is dated approximately 6700 years ago - A Nuance : some researchers say last activity of Pavin is much more recent which would make an active volcano , although this is still a controversy - .
In the Chaîne des Puys happens something similar , there was volcanic activity in the Quaternary and also 7000 years ago ... Nowadays, the only ones live and <<French>> volcanoes are overseas :D Anyway, I would give other kind of geologic details ( in french ) but I don't want to bore you ....

Last edited:
Because. You're an enigma, a mystery wrapped in a riddle.

Did I ever show you my purchases from the gem & mineral show a few months ago?

Non-fiction reads:

Quentin Bell, Virginia Woolf: a Biography
Vincent Sherry, The Great War and the Language of Modernism
Virginia Woolf, A Passionate Apprentice: The Early Journals, 1897 - 1909

More to come. :)

Back