• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic:

I've just finished Toby Litt's Finding Myself, which was great fun. I highly recommend it!

Am now 50 pages into Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Yup, I took the plunge and finally decided to give it a go. I have to admit, when I was six (six!!) pages in, I actually contemplated giving up, but I stuck in there, and am at page 50 now (I'm not a fast reader, as you may have gathered), and I'm starting to get into it.

I think.

Anyway, someone could have told me it's 900 bloody pages long! This is gonna take me forever!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I don't actually mind long/big books, heck, I read Mulisch'sThe Discovery of Heaven, which is 1000 pages, in under a week, and I read the entire Lord of the Rings-trilogy (including The Hobbit) in just over 2 weeks.

It's just that the first few pages had me struggling to keep up, and to understand it all. The prospect of almost 900 pages of that kinda stuff had me a bit depressed, I guess.

I'm hanging in there, though!

Just finished Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fannie Flagg...enjoyed it, but not as much as Fried Green Tomatos at the Whistle Stop Cafe or Standing in the Rainbow, both were wonderful. The ending however was sweet and made the book well-worth reading (of course, I'm a huge softie, so I fall for such endings).

Now, against Martin's better judgement, I'm onto Falling Sideways by Tom Holt...of course, it was already in my TBR pile, so I figured I ought to read it sometime, before my husband kills me for having too many unread books about the house. ;)

I find Tom Holt's books a bit hit-and-miss, i have enjoyed some of them, but others were a bit dull (i have read about ten of his, but im afraid they've all rather blended into one so i couldnt offer you a recommendation :()

Phil

Falling Sideways is an odd one. I think it's halfway to being too surreal to get through. It's the one with the bag of sugar as I recall. It's ok, got some laughs out of me, but not one of his best.

I'm currently reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. All the hype over this book had put me off, but I bought it as part of a "four books for £5" offer in a "cheapy" shop (and it's a first edition!)

I'm actually really enjoying this book! I didn't think I would, but it's a real page-turner, and being shown incidents from the point of view of an autistic person is quite fascinating. It's moving, sad and funny. I'm about halfway through, and so far I'd definitely recommend it. :)

I've now finished it - it was really good! :)

Good - I've got it on my shelf. I'll be sure to check it out soon.

Thanks for the head's up!

bobbyburns said:
just picked up zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance a few days ago ...

I didn't like it. I found myself identifying with the guy who owns the BMW rather than the nutter who had to stop every five minutes to retune his engine. Didn't strike me as zen so much as obsessive compulsive disorder.

Just started reading House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. So far, it's wonderful :)

Today is a nice day. Sitting with the door open. Sunshine, coffee and good book. mmmmmm :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back