• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicola said:
Just started The Lovely Bones and really enjoying it :D

I am reading it too. I don't know what can I think of it. Just wait and see when I read to finish it.

Changed my mind about Falling Sideways - I hadn't started it yet and, now that my husband has left town ahead of me to start his new job, and I've no one to talk to, I need a friendlier book to read. Not sure what book that is going to be though....

I am reading, Booked To Die . It's the 3rd in the Cliff Janeway mysteries. For those who are unfamiliar with this series. The main character, Cliff Janeway, is an ex-cop who becomes a book dealer of rare books. Great series.

dlrobert1 said:
I am reading, Booked To Die . It's the 3rd in the Cliff Janeway mysteries. For those who are unfamiliar with this series. The main character, Cliff Janeway, is an ex-cop who becomes a book dealer of rare books. Great series.

Don't mean to nitpick but I think you mean Bookman's Promise. I hope to read it soon myself. LMK if it's as good as his others, I'll bet it is.

RaVeN

hey Bobby, i loved Zen and the art, it's a perserverance book, one that you love for the journey not the destination, i read Douglas Couplands "Life after god" which i thought had a quite similar theme, though was much more accessible. maybe that was just me.

Finished "a wild ride through the night" - not recommending it to anyone. Started reading "survivor" Chuck Palahnuik. So far i like the book layout ;)

kskyhappy

had to look that one up, but no i haven't. looks interesting, though i usually need sugar on my bran flakes, can you recommend a good one (preferably short lol)

ksky

I'd recommend freedom from the known. all of his stuff is good, but this one is a good place to start. here's a quote to give you an idea so you can decide whether it's for you:

"if you think it is important to know about yourself only because I or someone else has told you it is important, then I am afraid all communication between us comes to an end. but if we agree that it is vital that we understand ourselves completely, then you and I have quite a different relationship, then we can explore together with a happy, careful and intelligent enquiry.

I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you--no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. all authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. you have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. you have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary. if you do not follow somebody you feel very lonely. be lonely then. why are you frightened of being alone? because you are faced with yourself as you are and you find that you are empty, dull, stupid, ugly, guilty and anxious--a petty, shoddy, secondhand entity. face the fact; look at it, do not run away from it. the moment you run away fear begins."

Don't mean to nitpick but I think you mean Bookman's Promise. I hope to read it soon myself. LMK if it's as good as his others, I'll bet it is.

Raven, you are right. I have a head cold and couldn't remember the title of the book. Thank you for setting me straight. This book is good.

For those who may want to read this series by John Dunning here are the 3 titles:

The Bookman's Wake
Booked to Die
The Bookman's Promise

He is working on a 4th.

I'm probably the last one one the forum to read it but I started Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird last night. I've been wanting to read it for some time now.

RaVeN

How are you finding it?

I have not had the chance to read it before, so you're not the last! lol

Regards
SillyWabbit

RaVeN said:
I'm probably the last one one the forum to read it but I started Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird last night.
Ooh, I read that when I was a kiddie. Really enjoyed it.

Finished The Line of Polity - Neal Asher, this lunchtime, and it was thoroughly excellent. Lots of fighting and aliens and terribly naughty people. Had everything in it that a good sci fi book needs. His next book is in hardboack and currently sitting in the bookshop taunting me, but at least it gives me something to look forward to.

So on the train home I started The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood. Only a ten minute train journey though, so real opinions yet, other than how much I enjoy her writing style.

SillyWabbit said:
I have read Gridlinked By Asher! Liked :) Same thing, lots of fighting and action!
The Line of Polity is essentially the sequel. So Dragon is back and so is Ian Cormac, but the venue has changed along with the bad guys. You should read The Skinner. It's a stand alone book but set in the same universe. It should definitely appeal to someone who likes pirates.

SillyWabbit said:
How are you finding it?

I'm barely even into it, only 15 pages. I started it with my eyes half shut but I think I'm going to enjoy it. It has a pretty heavy reputation to live up to though.

Before that I finished Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It's a fantasy with elves, dragons, etc. He started writing it when he was 15 years old. I think it was written for teenagers and there was nothing that probably hasn't been done before but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's part 1 of the dreaded 3 part syndrom though.

RaVeN

Litany said:
The Line of Polity is essentially the sequel. So Dragon is back and so is Ian Cormac, but the venue has changed along with the bad guys. You should read The Skinner. It's a stand alone book but set in the same universe. It should definitely appeal to someone who likes pirates.

Yeah, Skinner has been on my "to buy" list for some time now :)

Thanks for the recommendation yea wench!

jesus said:
I'm barely even into it, only 15 pages. I started it with my eyes half shut but I think I'm going to enjoy it. It has a pretty heavy reputation to live up to though.

Before that I finished Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It's a fantasy with elves, dragons, etc. He started writing it when he was 15 years old. I think it was written for teenagers and there was nothing that probably hasn't been done before but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's part 1 of the dreaded 3 part syndrom though.

I have heard a lot about Eragon. Not sure about that one. As alwasy im put off by it being 3 books long :) And for fantasy to interest me thease days it has to be something really different because I spent my whole childhood till about 25 reading mostly fantasy. Now im a bit bored with them, although I still read fantasy but it has to be REALLY good or different.

regards
SillyWabbit

I haven't read any fantasy for a year or so, it was just what the doc ordered. I'll have to do some online searching to see when the next one is due out. There's a website listed on the jacket cover for info but the site isn't up yet. :(

RaVeN

The last fantasy that I read was a few months ago, the broken sword I enjoyed that a lot. It was all based on Norse myth, even more so that LOTR.

regards
SillyWabbit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back