• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not currently reading a book. Sinful indeed! I may end up reading a non-fiction book (maybe). I am in that real world frame of mind. Fictional novels will not fit my current mood. :rolleyes:

I am sure we all hate that gap between books! :eek:

AquaBlue said:
I am sure we all hate that gap between books! :eek:

I absolutely hate the gap between books. Especially when I'm not sure what I'm in the mood to read, thus making it difficult to pick out the next book. :(

I'm reading Archform: Beauty by L.E. Modesitt Jr. Falls into the usual cyberpunk trap of using too much bloody jargon, so it takes you far too long to figure out what's actually going on, and when you do you have to flick back to bits that didn't make any sense the first time round to see if they make any more sense now. It's all written in first person perspective of the various different characters, and one of them is a cop who seems to have trouble stringing a sentence together. Pair that up with all the nonsense words and it doesn't make for a very coherent experience. Still, it's slowly starting to improve and the plot is emerging (hmm, noir crime thriller, how unusual for a cyberpunk book :rolleyes: ).

I can't actually remember buying this book, but it's been in the pile for ages so I thought I should make the effort. I think it will probably be ok once I've got my slang dictionary all up to date.

As of yesterday, I'm reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx & Crake. I'm a hundred pages in, and I have no idea as to what the hell is going on - I love it!

Cheers, Martin

VTChEwbecca said:
Now reading Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe. My first introduction to this author...I hope its a good one.

I read some Tom Sharpe, it must be about 20 years ago now! I really enjoyed them, so I don't know why I haven't read any more. I think your reminder will make me look out some more of his work! :) I remember Wilt and Porterhouse Blue the most - very funny.

Halo said:
I read some Tom Sharpe, it must be about 20 years ago now! I really enjoyed them, so I don't know why I haven't read any more. I think your reminder will make me look out some more of his work! :) I remember Wilt and Porterhouse Blue the most - very funny.

I just managed to get a start today. Good so far, though I'm not very far into the novel. I'm glad to hear good about the author :) And I'll have to check out Wilt and Porterhouse Blue!

Martin, let me know how you get on with Oryx and Crake, i really loved it, although the ending kinda pissed me off (you know THAT ending ;)).

Phil

I really like David Blaine, his shows blow me away - never though to read a book about him tho. I "like" magik, too. Maybe I'll check that book out. I see those shows they do that tell the "secrets" of the magicians, but some of the stuff they say doesn't seem to explain very well. You ever notice that?

Right now I'm reading Darwin's Children. It's the sequel to Darwin's Radio. I enjoyed Darwin's Radio (but wasn't ecstatic about it) but Children is getting me down with all this scientific DNA speak. It's still pretty good, tho. Human evolution takes a major jump when babies with special senses are born resulting from a retrovirus in human DNA. Subsequent political and social chaos erupts as society can't figure out what to do with all the new children.

Well, I've temporarily mislaid Middlesex whilst moving, so I'm currently reading Micheal Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. I've been told some pretty nasty stuff about the ending.

So far, it's written well, and if you want something akin to 'slice of life' in 1850s London it's good. The opening is written well, and really draws you in. The book's good if you've lived in/visited London and its various streets, giving a sense of history. If only they'd labellled it as a tour guide.

However as a story it's a bit naff- nothing's really happening. A few hundred pages in, and I'm getting the impression it's teasing you without getting to the meat underneath.

fluffy bunny said:
Well, I've temporarily mislaid Middlesex whilst moving, so I'm currently reading Micheal Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. I've been told some pretty nasty stuff about the ending.

I quite enjoyed it. Not an awful lot really happens, but I liked the way it was written. Though the author seemed to forget himself part way through, and dropped that whole 'tour guide' style. The ending was a bit pants, but with me if I like the style it's written it then I can read anything and enjoy it.

Was by Geoff Ryman. It's a wonderful book. Read it before but am re-reading it. One of my all time favs. I recommend it highly :)

I'm working on two books at the moment...

Hunger of Memory by Richard Rodriguez, which I happened to see on a New Arrivals list at the library and thought might be interesting.

The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. It's about the massacre of 300,000 Chinese civilians (including a lot of children and infants) by the Japanese in 1937. Should be a difficult read. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back