• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received Moyra Caldecott's Sacred Stones trilogy in the mail. Have 2 books on the go already, but couldn't wait and started it, too.

See my other thread about ithere

SillyWabbit said:
I have never heard of this author. Is he in English? What kinda books does he write? What is this Blindness about? :)

he is portuguese (spelling?) he won the nobel in 98, i just have read two novels from him, "the gospel according to jesus christ" and "blindness" which along with "the cavern" are his most populars (i think). i must recoment the two i had read, i like specially blindness, ill post a review i found on the net:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
In an unnamed city in an unnamed country, a man sitting in his car waiting for a traffic light to change is suddenly struck blind. But instead of being plunged into darkness, this man sees everything white, as if he "were caught in a mist or had fallen into a milky sea." A Good Samaritan offers to drive him home (and later steals his car); his wife takes him by taxi to a nearby eye clinic where they are ushered past other patients into the doctor's office. Within a day the man's wife, the taxi driver, the doctor and his patients, and the car thief have all succumbed to blindness. As the epidemic spreads, the government panics and begins quarantining victims in an abandoned mental asylum--guarded by soldiers with orders to shoot anyone who tries to escape. So begins Portuguese author José Saramago's gripping story of humanity under siege, written with a dearth of paragraphs, limited punctuation, and embedded dialogue minus either quotation marks or attribution. At first this may seem challenging, but the style actually contributes to the narrative's building tension, and to the reader's involvement. H. Armstrong, Resident Jose Saramago Scholar

Wabbit, pay attention, man, I only recommended Blindness, like, a million times.

Saramago is a brilliant author. Do check him out! Especially Blindness!

Cheers, Martin

Martin said:
Wabbit, pay attention, man, I only recommended Blindness, like, a million times.

Cheers, Martin

I guess I'm guilty of not paying attention either :rolleyes: Now I'm aware of it, the book does look interesting.

Blindness is absolutely amazing, I'm not kidding. It's one of the scariest books I've ever read because it's just so damn real. It's one of the best books I read last year.

Please, try it. I'll add it to the library soon and I'll try to write a review.

Cheers, Martin

Finished Gates of Fire a few days ago. It seems very padded IMHO (including the cliched beginning- boy witnesses village being razed, people put to the slaughter etc etc- it may not be that common with historical fiction, but the fantasy shelves are full of such tales). That said, Pressfield does write extremely impressive battle sequences, and the second half of the book reads well.

Started on Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex on Mile-O's recommendation. I like the writing style of this one thus far (though I'm only a few pages in).

Currently reading 'The Pursuit of Happiness' by Douglas Kennedy.

I'm only a little way in, but already the characters are lively and make me want to read more.

I just started Brick Lane by Monica Ali, soo soon to tell.
But i just finished "A million tiny pieces" by James Frey, and highly recommend it. About a multi-drug addict and alcoholic who gets clean without the 12 steps. Autobiographical.

:) Lynne

I've just started Henry Miller's "Tropic of Capricorn," Mr. Miller's anti-novel follow-up to his anti-novel "Tropic of Cancer." I expect it will be just as enjoyable, vibrant, and full of life as the its antecedent.

Irene Wilde

Litany said:
No, no, no. That's not what I said. Either you misheard, or it's a typo. I didn't say 'cook' at all. That was a 'c', not an 'o'.

Either way, I'm pretty sure that too many will still spoil the broth.

RaVeN

Currently reading Bright Starry Banner - A Novel of the Civil War by Alden R. Carter. I've only read a few pages, but it's good so far.

Reading The Companions byt Sheri S Tepper. Just over 100 pages in, and it's really upsetting. Set in a similar future to the one in Beauty, people are all squished in and over crowded on Earth. So the bonkers religious nuts want to kills the few animals that are left because they use too much air and they weren't created in God's image. So the preservationists have to look for somewhere else to stash all their critters. I know it'll all turn out ok in the end, but at the moment I keep looking up and gazing at my wee bunnies and sighing heavily. :(

Still ploughing through Abhorsen, and mighty bored with it I am too. :rolleyes: I've got 18 other books on my "to-read" pile, so I suppose I should get on and finish the bloody thing, then I can get to something more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back