• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^I have that book,but after reading a couple of pages,I got bored, so let me know when the thrill begin,I might re-read it again.
I'm reading right now..
A Family For Tory by Margaret Daley

I just started Farhenheit 451. I first heard about it here in the book forum. It is great so far, and not too far from home in my opinion.

I'm almost finished and I am delirious from it. Truly, I was walking around my front yard unaware of the pollen and silkworms drifting all around me. Just pacing back and forth with the book opened in my hands while the traffic swooshed and neighbors' dogs barked. I'm going back.

graydaisy said:
I'm almost finished and I am delirious from it.

What a wonderful way to describe it :)

Glad you are liking it so much. Bradbury is a great author. I really urge you to read "Dandelion Wine" if you haven't! It has some of the most beautiful prose in it's pages!

This is the first Bradbury book I've read, but it will obviously not be the last. Thanks to you I will try Dandelion Wine next.

«FickleMinded» said:
^^I have that book,but after reading a couple of pages,I got bored, so let me know when the thrill begin,I might re-read it again.

I didn't even finish it myself. I got about 160 pages into it and realized it will never get interesting so I returned it. lol

I'm reading Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock. Disturbing novel.

I am reading Birds of Prey by Wilbur Smith. I read a few of his books, and I found that I have to keep reading, once I finish one I start on another. So far the book is captivating and it keeps the reader interested. The book is fast paced and it's really hard to put down. If anyone has not read any Wibur Smith books, I highly recommend his novels to all.

Yesterday i started to read **** Machine by Charles Bukowski. It's a short story collection, originally a collection of stories from Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness, 1967-1972.
So far it's my favorite short story collection by Bukowski.
Funny. Unusual. Surreal.

I happen to know someone who knew Bukowski -- and yes, in the biblical sense. He was not actually the nicest man on the planet.

Tell me what to look for in order to better appreciate his writing, please?

:confused:

StillILearn said:
I happen to know someone who knew Bukowski -- and yes, in the biblical sense. He was not actually the nicest man on the planet.
Tell me what to look for in order to better appreciate his writing, please?
:confused:

He’s certainly someone that comes across as a…unique individual, which is part of his appeal. He fell into the ‘tough guy’ imagine and started living that life. It became cool to act like he wasn’t well read (which he was) and just be the drunken bum. How such an image can still be maintained while driving (I think it was) a BMW and living (somewhere around) Hollywood is beyond me but…we create own myths (i.e. Jesus, god(s), the “acting” ability of, say, Jack Nicholson)…

His fiction and essays _can_ be pretty humourous, but I was reading that stuff in high school.
His poetry, at times, can be very good, but he’s wayyyyy over-published. Seemingly *any* words he put down on paper got published. In each pretty large collection there are always a few strong pieces and then you’ll have a bunch that read as just amusing or uneventful. Or repetitive.
Definitely not everyone’s cup o’ tea.
j

My friend had several very tender and, one might say, loving letters from him. In fact he used the word love, but when he wrote about my friend in one of his books, his words were dismissive and cruel.

A man to steer clear of, in my estimation. I find his work to be depressing in the extreme.

StillILearn said:
My friend had several very tender and, one might say, loving letters from him. In fact he used the word love, but when he wrote about my friend in one of his books, his words were dismissive and cruel.

Yes, no doubt the man was capable of compassion and “love” -I think emotions come in extremes; to feel extreme hate (which I am very capable of) – it’s kind of a form of just being really sad that things aren’t the way they should be, which makes you ‘love’ (not a word I like, hence I keep playing with it).

Anyway, sure, Buk’s fans would probably blanch at too much kindness in a poem, they expect the:

‘I told the broad to
hit the street.
The bed still warm.
She was good
damn good.

But now I need Mahler.
Alone. ’

Kinda thing.

jay said:
‘I told the broad to
hit the street.
The bed still warm.
She was good
damn good.

But now I need Mahler.
Alone. ’

Kinda thing.

Still, laughing!

In one letter I believe he used the expression "the love feeling" in respect to the emotion he held for my friend.

I guess Buk had a bit of trouble with the word, too?

StillILearn said:
Still, laughing!

*you're* laughing, you should see the email I just got back from The New Yorker after I sent them that pseudo-pome for consideration! (joking)

I guess Buk had a bit of trouble with the word, too?

I guess I'd say who in their right mind _doesn't_ have some trouble with such a word that has been hammered into the ground, amplified over too many radio airwaves, used in false context more often not, and may very well be just a synonym for "temporary neurological imbalance"

But at least the sun is shining…
j
(rerouting to On-Topic: so far the Faulkner bio is good, although I’m not sure there is anything new in it)

(rerouting to On-Topic: so far the Faulkner bio is good, although I’m not sure there is anything new in it)
Did you read William Faulkner: the Man and the Artist? That, I thought, was a great biography...but, it isn't like I have read too many biographies of him either.
Anyway,
The Sound and the Fury; just finished, loved it lots
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; excellent, so far
The Grapes of Wrath; kind of mediocre, actually...pretty unengaging
Also, I'm trying to scap any of Euripedes' plays; I'll probably start Medea anytime now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back