• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, probably quite a few :D

DragonBane by Barbra Hamly ( sp? - don't have time to check. Will check later ) is another wonderful fantasy novel. Bit different to most.

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy ( although the last part is split into two books because of size issue ) by Tad Williams is brilliant and one of my all time faves.

Sorry, in a rush. Will be back to add more details :)

I have the first Tad Williams in my giant "books to read" pile and I'll definitely look into Dragon Bane. Thanks! I'll look forward to some more suggestions. Have you read His Dark Materials by Pullman or Weaveworld by Clive Barker? Like you said, different than your usual fantasy but both very good!

Here is the correct title and name. I got it slightly wrong in my previous post :)

Dragonsbane by BARBARA HAMBLY

Book Description
When the Black Dragon seized the Deep of Ylferdun, young Gareth braved the far Winterlands to find John Aversin, Dragonsbane -- the only living man ever to slay a dragon. In return for the promise of the King to send help to the Winterlands, Aversin agreed to attempt the nearly impossible feat again.
With them, to guard them on the haunted trip south, went Jenny Waynest, a half-taught sorceress and mother of Aversin's sons.

But at the decadent Court, nothing was as expected. Rebellion threatened the land. Zyerne, a sorceress of seemingly unlimited power, held the King under an evil spell, and he refused to see them. Meantime, the dragon fed well on the knights who had challenged him.

In the end, Aversin, Jenny, and Gareth had to steal away at night to challenge Morkeleb, largest and wisest of dragons.

But that was only the beginning of the perils they must face.

I havent read the ones you mention but another one I can't recommend enough is the Broken Sword! The writing is beautiful Again, if you are looking for something a bit differnt. This takes insperation from the Nordic myth to create a wonderful action packed novel with some of the most beautiful in any genre!

The Broken Sword (Fantasy Masterworks S.) by Poul Anderson

Synopsis
Thor has broken the sword Tyrfing so that it cannot strike at the roots of Yggdrasil, the tree that binds together earth, heaven and hell. But now the mighty sword is needed again to save the elves in their war against the trolls, and only Scafloc, a human child kidnapped and raised by the elves, can hope to persuade Bolverk the ice-giant to make Tyrfing whole again. But Scafloc must also confront his shadow self, Valgard the changeling who has taken his place in the world of men.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I always like to have a long line of possibilities ahead of me and those sounded very intriguing! Have you ever read anything by Gene Wolfe or Mervyn Peake? I haven't but have read great reviews of both.

I have tried to read the Gormenghast books but could not. I just could not get into it. Although, I do know many people like them :)

I've also had my eye on The Crimson Petal And The White. Are you enjoying that one so far? I've read the first chapter or so and it seemed very well written. Another book I recently read and really enjoyed was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel. Have you read it? It is paced fairly slow but it builds gradually and wonderfully to a great climax! Her writing style is very Dickensian and she is very good at characterization. Also, the mood of the novel is very dark and magical. I would highly recommend it!

I've been reading Solaris.
It is excellent but breaks my heart in more ways than one.
So, I tried to read as slow as I can.

I'm trying to read The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner, so far it's making my head hurt. I can't figure out quite who any one is or what's going on, everything comes in tiny bits and pieces and some of the pieces contradict the bits. I am wondering is the whole book like this or does it start to come together eventually?

Sound and the Fury

Ronny said:
I'm trying to read The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner, so far it's making my head hurt. I can't figure out quite who any one is or what's going on, everything comes in tiny bits and pieces and some of the pieces contradict the bits. I am wondering is the whole book like this or does it start to come together eventually?

**slight spoilers** but an aide to the confused.

It will come together…keep in mind that Benjy has *no* concept of time. From sentence to sentence he may change tenses or time narration.
The trick to staying with this is his caretakers were with him at different times: Versh when Benjy is a small child, T.P. when Benjy is about 15 years old, and Luster when Benjy is 33 years old.
Benjy relives approximately 15 events from the past.

Faulkner at one point mentioned that maybe he would print an edition with different coloured inks differencing the different periods. Then he added that he himself doesn’t know.

Quentin’s section will be easier, as long as you come to terms with the fact that he’s, um, dead while telling you his story.
At some point you’ll comprehend that there are TWO Quentins, a male and a female.

What a great book. A masterpiece. I really must reread soon…

Good luck,
j

I just started Sailing the Wine Dark Sea by Thomas Cahill. I'm only on page 11, but I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this book very much. In looking at the other titles in the Hinges of History series, I think I'll be adding them to my Reading Candidates list(you know, the one that never ends). ;)

Choke by Palahniuk. So far, so good. I enjoy his style and I look forward to reading more from him in the future.

I've been in a reading slump lately. Nothing I pick up has held my attention for too long, but I just borrowed a copy of "The Magician's Guild" and so far is good. Hopefully my slump doesn't disagree with this book as well.

Crow Killer, The saga of liver eating Johnson by Raymond W thorp.

Synopsis
A fictionalized biography of a Rocky Mountain fur trapper who single-handedly defeated a band of Crow Indians during the 1840s.

Cabrasopa :cool:

The Life of Pi isn't one of those books that you will forget the moment you put it back down -- I think everyone who's read it will agree with me on that.

I'm currently finishing up one of Joyce Carol Oates's older books, American Appetites. (I'd recently finished Oates's new book, The Falls, and was hungry for more of her.)

Oates never disappoints me, but I think I may be ready for something a bit more cheerful next time out.

Alexander McCall Smith is cheerful!

I'm currently reading Shame - Salman Rushide. Very good book, almost finished. Before that I read Brick Lane which I enjoyed even more, althought it did take about 5 chapters before I got into it. I'll probably go onto The Di Vinci Code after this - I had the Special Edition Hardback copy for Christmas, and everybody's still banging on about it, so it's worth a go I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back