• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading three books at once- A Clockwork Orange, The Inferno, and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. School is so brutal.

The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith (nearly finished - brilliant)
Iris Murdoch As I Knew Her by A N Wilson (just started - interesting)
Memory and Identity by John Paul II (can only read a few pages at a time- dense but enlightening)

Wicked

Water Faerie,
Personally I think (I haven't finished yet) Wicked is a great book. This is just the kind of stuff I love to read; a well known story with a different perspective and angle. However, Wicked does contain lots of sexual parts, which are sometimes discreet, okay and other times where they are really disturbing, at least to me. But all in all, I think Wicked is an enjoyable book, so far at least.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

About 200 pages in and enjoying it immensely, lots of strange things going on which seem at the moment, unconnected.
But i'm assured by people who have read it, everything falls into place and makes sense by the end.

Cabrasopa :cool:

I cant believe at the age of 27 i am starting for the first time the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy,ive never got round to reading it and seing so many people reccommend it here ive decided to give it a go. First few chapters have been good.

I have two going: Math: Facing an American Phobia-Marilyn Burns, and The Codex -Douglas Preston.

BTW-I'm 44 and haven't read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet! Maybe one of these days. Its just not high on my TBR list.. :)

abecedarian said:
BTW-I'm 44 and haven't read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy yet! Maybe one of these days. Its just not high on my TBR list.. :)

Totally. I could understand someone saying, "my gawd, I'm xx and haven't read _Wuthering Heights_ or _Sound and the Fury_ our countless others...but Hitch Guide?, not really.
I read it when I was around 15 and it was pretty shallow and not very good then.

Anyway, reading a bunch of Amy Hempel interviews and just finished Puig's _Kiss of the Spider-Woman_

j

HHGTTG shallow??? It's a wonderful satire. You may not like the humour, but shallow is the last thing that it is! Maybe you should read it again now that some time has past since your first reading? Well... that is only if you really don't hate the book!

What did you think of Kiss of the Spider Woman? I loved it.

SillyWabbit said:
Maybe you should read it again now that some time has past since your first reading? Well... that is only if you really don't hate the book!

Nope, that one is well filed away under “immensely dislike”. Maybe hate.
Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too many other books to tackle, and even re-read, before that could ever be a thought.

What did you think of Kiss of the Spider Woman? I loved it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent stuff. While of course this books was turned into a film and then a Broadways-esque thing (not sure if it was a play or a musical), Manuel Puig is a hell of a writer.
If you haven’t read _Betrayed by Rita Hayworth_ and _Eternal Curse on the Reader of These Pages_ then seek them out.
Meanwhile, I believe they are OOP. But pap like Hitchhiker’s continue to be seen as worth killing trees for.

Cheers,
j

OK, I have not read those other ones. .. will have to check them out! I also have not seen the movie and I don't think I would like to.

I will say that I rate "Kiss of the Spider Woman" as one of the very best books I have ever read. The characters will stay with me forever. They were etched in my mind so realistically! The story was amazing, the writing was wonderful. I really admired his skill and the original/interesting way that the novel was told without description.

Regarding HHGTTG if you hate the book then you better really avoid the movie :D

No, but I was really impressed with Tigana. I do have another of his on my shelf but I have not read it yet! It's A song for Arbonne

I haven't read that one either but it's very nice to have a promising fantasy author who's actually completed a few series! Get tired of waiting all the time you know? (GRRM, Jordan, etc...) I've also been thinking I'll try Robyn Hobb soon. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back