• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I ran out of new books to read, so had to make do with borrowed ones. Read "Two sisters" - Nancy Livingston. Quite liked this one. Then "Tooth and Nail" - Ian Rankin. Never read any of his stuff before but I really enjoyed this. Then "Honest" - Ulrika Jonsson, an autobiography. Quite enjoyed that too, I like a good nosey into other people's lives! Just started "Dead Air" - Iain Banks, but I'm having difficulty getting in to it. Bit boring for me so far.

I'm just about to start The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. Looking forward to it highly if it is anywhere as good as Consider Phlebas was.

After this I think I will give the Night's Dawn trilogy a bash. I'm brave enough, I've read The Stand.

igkuk7 said:
I'm just about to start The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. Looking forward to it highly if it is anywhere as good as Consider Phlebas was.

Let us know how you find Player of Games. I read this in '96. IIRC, it started being written earlier than Consider Phlebas, though was released later. Personally, I found 'Player of Games' better than Consider Phlebas (which I'll admit had me getting bored in places towards the end), though Player follows a more predicatable approach.

I'm still plowing through 'More than Human' by Theodore Sturgeon. It's well written, but a little abstract in places. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm keen to see what's going to happen next.

igkuk7 said:

After this I think I will give the Night's Dawn trilogy a bash. I'm brave enough, I've read The Stand.

I found Player of Games to be a much better book than Consider Phlebas. I think you'll enjoy it. It's a fine read. And as for Night's Dawn, if you stop reading about 100 pages before the end of the final book and make up your own ending in your head it'll probably turn out to be one of the best sci fi stories you've ever read.

In other words, the ending to this huuuuge book, which you will be building up to for days and days and maybe even weeks and weeks, well ... kinda stinks.

Good luck, Igkuk.

Cheers, Martin :D

In other words, the ending to this huuuuge book, which you will be building up to for days and days and maybe even weeks and weeks, well ... kinda stinks.

Well that's one way of putting it :D Whilst reading it's difficult to see where this all ends. The setup was awesome however, and more than makes up for the deus ex machina approach the author finally took to end the series.

Well, after finishing Legend I think I can handle a bad ending. Man that ending really stunk. This Night's Dawn one isn't that bad is it?

igkuk7 said:
This Night's Dawn one isn't that bad is it?

Oh it's pretty bad. Not only Deus Ex Machina, but imagine this particular god is holding a huge big lump of cheese. The biggest piece of cheese you've ever seen. And then little fairies come out to dance with him, and they all sing a happy song and eat ice cream, and more cheese.

I have to admit the ending actually sent me into a rage. I was livid. I felt completely cheated. Up till that point these books were some of the finest I've ever read. Really fecking brilliant books. And I was expecting something fantastic. Now, I know it would be pretty difficult to come up with quite the ending most people would be expecting by that point. But what he did come up was, quite frankly, insulting. I wrote about it in a different forum just after I'd finished it. I was quite angry and the red mist had descended. I'm being much kinder this time.

. . . imagine this particular god is holding a huge big lump of cheese. The biggest piece of cheese you've ever seen. And then little fairies come out to dance with him, and they all sing a happy song and eat ice cream, and more cheese.

That bad, eh?

Have fun, Igkuk.

igkuk7 said:
You guys really know how to get a guy excited about a book don't you?
You just need to stop before you get to the end of the third book. Then all will be well. I only wish someone had warned me.

And if someone warned you about that ending, would you have stopped 100 pages from the end?

I think not.

Martin said:
And if someone warned you about that ending, would you have stopped 100 pages from the end?

I think not.

Most probably not. But I would have prepared myself for the worst. Then when it came, I would be able to let the whole experience wash over me like rancid cream, which can be easily rinsed off in the shower. I would then block the whole experience from my memory and proceed to make up my own, much better ending. But as it was, the whole thing was so much of a shock that I've been left with emotional scars so deep I doubt I'll ever be able to forget.

I'm reading Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett. So far so good - am about one quarter of the way in and is as funny as the rest.

Night Watch is my favourite Discworld novel. It's just as funny, the story was great and you got to see all the characters when they were younger.
:D

Martin said:
Brace yourself, man.

I'm reading it pretty fast coz It's great :) I'm over half way now but Eric is still not home yet! Love the phone calls lol The whole book is filled with dark humor :)

<----takes advice and is braced

Regards
Silly ( head between legs ) Wabbit

Currently reading Apollyon, which is the 5th book in the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye & Jerry Jenkins. So far, the series has been easy reading and there's a fair amount of suspense which makes me want to keep reading and not put the books down.

I have the last book in the series on hold at the library, but I'm nearly 300th in line and there are 100 copies to go around. I'm hoping to have the 11th book read by the time the last book is ready for me to pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back