• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
No apology necessary, Martin.
I finished Blindness yesterday and I did enjoy it. Very thought provoking. Now I am reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. It is written from the point of view of an autistic teen boy.

Yup, I read it, and liked it. Bit simplistic, though (and yes, I know that that's the entire point).

Thanks for the welcome, Martin.

Welp, I finished the Midwich Cuckoos, and went on to something not alltogether unrelated, though, judging by the first ten pages, nevertheless a very different affair:
Brian Aldiss' "The Malacia Tapestry"
I haven't read anything by this character in the past, but this one is quite intriguing.

Yesterday I started Jeffery Deaver's Garden of the Beasts.It's a fictional work about a 1930's mob hitman that's caught, then recruited by the U.S. government to go to Berlin and kill Reinhard Ernst, one of Hitler's masterminds.

It takes place while the '36 Olympics are going on and includes many real life athletes, Nazis & so on.

RaVeN

I'm reading Blood of Heaven by Bill Myers. Finished The Curious Incident... last night.

And welcome, Oystein (sorry, I don't know how to get that / through the O).

The Alienist/Caleb Carr really enjoying it and listening to The Poison wood Bible /Barbara Kingsolver its taking a while because I keep falling asleep.
LOL
bev the girl from OZ

Just finished Otherland: city of golden shadow and loved it so much I jumped right into Otherland: river of blue fire which I'm loving even more, up to now. Tad Williams is a genius!!!

Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene. I'm about half way through and the poor chaps lies are starting to catch up with him. It's a great book. Anyone with an uneventful job, an absentee manager and a requirement to fill in weekly timesheets will definitely relate. Until now I'd only ever seen the film which is probably a bit shameful. :eek:

Litany said:
Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene. I'm about half way through and the poor chaps lies are starting to catch up with him. It's a great book. Anyone with an uneventful job, an absentee manager and a requirement to fill in weekly timesheets will definitely relate. Until now I'd only ever seen the film which is probably a bit shameful. :eek:

I'm a fan of Graham Greene, mostly his non-S. American settings and books featuring more spies than priests. (The Human Factor, The End of the Affair).

I'm reading a Graham, too--Graham Swift (The Light of Day). It's a terse, stylish private-eye book, very skillfully written. Unfortunately, I'm going to finish it soon. Though it's a great read, feel like I didn't get much bang for the buck--I bought the new hardcover. Definitely recommend it, though.

I've just finished a Greene title as well, namely The Third Man, having watched the (excellent) film on Sunday. Very entertaining, he doesn't write beautiful prose but is an excellent storyteller.

I've just finished mine, and now I'm off to fiddle with the Dyson and see if I can construct any super destructive weapons.

I'm reading Anvil of Ice by Michael Scott Rohan. It's the first book in the Winter of the World trilogy which I am reading now.

I read thease books many years ago and they are wonderful. It's one of the best, i think, fantasy trilogies ever written. Really origonal. He creates a whole world of myth and magic. In this, the ice itself and the winter is the foe.

I was in the mood for some fantasy. I have not read it for a LONG time and thease books were great... so here I go :)

I've just started on Charles Maturin's "Melmoth the wanderer" and I suspect it's going to take a while.

Oh, and also nipping into stories from G.K. Chesterton's "Father Brown" series; basically going cover-to-cover on Wordsworth Classics' release "Father Brown - Selected stories."
I've never really read any mystery novels in the past, but was pleasantly surprised by these stories. I ended up picking this up because I was deeply impressed with Chesterton's novel "The man who was Thursday," and wanted to read more by him.

I'm currently reading A Terrible Beauty by Peter Watson and Ingenious Pursuits by Lisa Jardine.

The first is an intellectual history of the 20th century, which has some great quotes and stories in it, like Genet desecrating churches to see whether God existed or not – he wasn’t punished so he drew a negative conclusion. Or Chagall, when urged to emigrate to the US because of the impending arrival of WWII, asking whether America had cows in it. The way Watson describes these little cameos is really funny.

Regarding the second, it is a history of the origins of the Royal Society and its affects upon European thought of the 17th century.

Both quite good, though I’m preferring Watson’s book at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back