• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dan Brown

Martin said:
Bad news for the lot of you, but I have caved, and I've put this on my wish list.

All you guys made me want to read this.

Cheers, Martin

Yup, I read all this and promptly added some Dan Brown stuff to my wish list.

Honestly - I think I'll really enjoy The Da Vinci Code. Sounds like a great read.

Cheers, Martin

Ashlea said:
Yep - I've lost 5 lbs. already, and Wolf lost 15, in 2 weeks. The point you are trying to make is -?

I used to refuse to read anything on the best seller list, and I thought I was supercool. Now I've mellowed and realized that just because something's popular doesn't mean it's bad. Doesn't mean it's good either, but at least should be evaluated on its own merits.

Read up on your diet before you stay on it to long. Atkins and South Beach have been shown to be extremely unhealthy over time for your body.

True@1stLight said:
Read up on your diet before you stay on it to long. Atkins and South Beach have been shown to be extremely unhealthy over time for your body.
But at the same time other people have shown benefits. I think it depends on existing health conditions and what you want out of a diet. Even Atkins himself said to take a vitamin supplement when you're in the phase where you aren't eating much fruit. It's been shown to be beneficial to diebetics and people with high cholesterol, but only this week there's been more research saying it's not too good for your fertility.

I don't think it's a great lifestyle choice, but neither's being obese (not calling Ashlea a porker) and if it's a straight choice between the two then you're probably better off on the diet.

Where I work, one of the research groups is taking part in the diet trials being run by the Beeb, and they say you're just eating fewer calories and it's nothing to do with ketogenesis at all. I think it's probably a lot to do with it being so much easier to make toast than to cook sausages every time you fancy a snack.

Ya, but why risk conditions like that and not just eat healthy and workout. It's really not that difficult to do the latter. Lol and I applaud the use of the word porker in a sentence :).

Sort of off topic now :eek:, but I think the problem is that what we in the US call "healthy eating" i.e. the food pyramid is completely skewed. 6-11 servings of bread/pasta/etc. a day? That is a bunch of empty calories. And that combined with the complete proliferation of refined flours is the reason Americans are such porkers. (fun word!)

Trust me, I've done my homework. Per the diet, I'm eating lean meat, lowfat dairy, fresh veggies (except the starchy ones), nuts in moderation, and now fruit (after 2 weeks.) I'm also reading labels, and avoiding anything where the 1st ingredient is "bleached enriched white flour." It's easy to lump together all the "low carb" diets, but they aren't the same.

The only downside is the amount of cooking I've had to do.

At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, True, wait until you hit 25 and the metabolism changes start. It's harder than it sounds by a long shot.

True@1stLight said:
Ya, but why risk conditions like that and not just eat healthy and workout. It's really not that difficult to do the latter. Lol and I applaud the use of the word porker in a sentence :).

Again, more off topic, but I don't like the topic anyway. The topic sucks. :p

There are a lot of people who can't do healthy diets. I know people like this. It just doesn't register with them what they are eating and just how many calories there are in things. I know someone who was complaining about how healthy she ate and yet she never lost weight. I would point out the biscuits she had at coffee and the doughnut she had with lunch, and then she'd remember, but even so she didn't think there could really be that many calories in one jam doughnut. :rolleyes:

So, while it's obvious that you just don't eat more calories than you use and then you don't get fat, there are people that can't get their heads round it. So a diet that comes with a really clear list of what you can eat and what you can't eat and that lets you eat these things whenever you feel like it is an absolute blessing. And you can do Atkins in a healthy way. You can eat tons of vegetables, it's just that the people who are most likely to be obese are the same people who are least likely to be eating all their veg and so the diet gets a bad reputation.

But faced with the choice of Atkins and its associated health risks, or clinical obesity and its associated health risks, I would choose Atkins as the lesser of two evils.

Litany said:
I know someone who was complaining about how healthy she ate and yet she never lost weight. I would point out the biscuits she had at coffee and the doughnut she had with lunch, and then she'd remember, but even so she didn't think there could really be that many calories in one jam doughnut. :rolleyes:

Someone thought a doghnut was healthy :D I love humans.

Enough of the diet stuff. You're making me hungry!

I read Angels and Demons and whilst the chase around Rome following the clues was good, I thought the ending was weak, predictable and pretty unbelievable. It reminded me a bit of a Bond film. Starts good and develops, but then gets a bit silly and far fetched towards the end. Maybe they'll make a film of it :)

I picked up Digital Fortress as part of a three for two offer. I started reading the first few pages, but then thought hang on, I've read this before! The opening sequence is almost identical to Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. Maybe that's his trademark formula?

I think I'd summarise Dan Brown as mindless entertainment. Something to pass away a few hours without having to think too much. Reminds me of most of the Hollywood Blockbusters. Can a book be eye candy?

Darren.

Now I'm definitely gonna go get that book! :D

It's nice to alternate between heavier and lighter books.

Cheers, Martin

Darren Lewis said:
Enough of the diet stuff. You're making me hungry!

I read Angels and Demons and whilst the chase around Rome following the clues was good, I thought the ending was weak, predictable and pretty unbelievable. It reminded me a bit of a Bond film. Starts good and develops, but then gets a bit silly and far fetched towards the end. Maybe they'll make a film of it :)

I picked up Digital Fortress as part of a three for two offer. I started reading the first few pages, but then thought hang on, I've read this before! The opening sequence is almost identical to Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. Maybe that's his trademark formula?

I think I'd summarise Dan Brown as mindless entertainment. Something to pass away a few hours without having to think too much. Reminds me of most of the Hollywood Blockbusters. Can a book be eye candy?

Darren.

Hail our leader!!!

Back