• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dean Koontz

Robert said:
I enjoy his books but I have to wonder if he has ever written a book without using the word twilight?

LOL! Other favourites are "coruscating" and "recombinant DNA" which seem to crop up an awful lot. :D

LOL. It's going to be difficult for me to read one of his books and not look for some of these things.

Sofia said:
dang, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Velocity had a dog in it....? Not that I can think of right now anyway.....

I can't remember a dog in By the Light of the Moon. I don't have my copy handy to confirm.

ions said:
I can't remember a dog in By the Light of the Moon. I don't have my copy handy to confirm.

It's just that all the books by Koontz that I have been subjected to have had dogs in them. I also recall seeing him with a dog in a picture on the inside flap thingy of one of his books.

CDA said:
It's just that all the books by Koontz that I have been subjected to have had dogs in them. I also recall seeing him with a dog in a picture on the inside flap thingy of one of his books.

It seems to me that I've seen a picture of a dog on one of his dust covers, too. I just can't remember which one.

I suppose, although I added it to another thread, I'll add it here too, that Dean Koontz describes every streetlight as sodium.

Stewart said:
I suppose, although I added it to another thread, I'll add it here too, that Dean Koontz describes every streetlight as sodium.

maybe he's got a problem with his colour vision...

I really liked his books about the blind guy ... forget that series titles ... but I picked up Frankenstein. It was verra strange, veering wildly in tone from character set to character set ... and I kept hoping the short episodic style would smooth out ... then it ended with the promise of another book. I took it up and despaired of it ever going anywhere ... My biggest problem, among several big ones, sadly, as much as I like the overaarching premise of this modern recasting of the Frankenstein mythos, is I hate the two main characters!! :eek: :( The guy is just too quip happy and that the girl doesn't pistol-whip him into a better sense of himself loses my respect. The villain, despite his genius, has no control of his situation, which I suppose is different ... but I will not read the third volume if it had a $100 stapled to the fourth page!

Seems about right, with the exception of the one about about the boy who murders his friends. The Voice of the Night, perhaps?

Not bad, but he missed out the lengthy descriptions of the local flora and a golden retriever dog. ;) And the word "coruscating".

SFG75 said:
The last Koontz book I really enjoyed was Intensity.
Why did you like it? I couldn't get beyond
the bit where the girl is stuck in the back of the van with the body of her friend. He stopped at a gas station, she got out, and watched the van speed away
. It was just too disturbing for me. Too real perhaps? I didn't like being inside the head of such an evil man. Perhaps that is why it appealed to you? Because the writer was able to do that?

Has Koontz written anything that I might like? I don't like too much graphic violence in a novel. In fantasy it's okay, but in a novel I just find it scares me by being too close to reality. But I can't deny that he had talent to be able to make me so uncomfortable regarding Intensity. Is all his writing like that? What book would I like that doesn't involve such topics?

Kookamoor said:
Has Koontz written anything that I might like? I don't like too much graphic violence in a novel. What book would I like that doesn't involve such topics?

Without searching through my books, I would suggest Watchers (I think that's the title). The one with a super-intelligent golden retriever dog that escapes from a laboratory, anyway. There is the odd nasty description of what has happened to someone from what I can remember, but it isn't centred on a serial killer and there's a love story and quite a lot of heart-warming moments. :)

Hi everyone!

Back again. I'm back into my reading frenzy.

I just finished "Intensity" by Dean Koontz. Definitely one of the best books I've read in a loooong time. I'm reading "Life Expectancy" right now and man, this guy is really impressing me. One of my all time favorite authors now.

I liked Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. You have to read them in that order, they are a set.
I also liked Coldfire.

I've always seen Dean Koontz books in used book stores and thrift stores and just labeled him as another worn out best selling author (along with the other authors filling the thrift store shelves like Danielle Steele, Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton...blah blah blah). But after reading this thread, I'm thinking about heading out and picking some of his stuff up. I like really graphic, haunting, intense stuff. Any suggestions??:)

Back