• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dean Koontz

CattiGuen said:
I've always seen Dean Koontz books in used book stores and thrift stores and just labeled him as another worn out best selling author (along with the other authors filling the thrift store shelves like Danielle Steele, Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton...blah blah blah). But after reading this thread, I'm thinking about heading out and picking some of his stuff up. I like really graphic, haunting, intense stuff. Any suggestions??:)

Intensity was pretty intense. Try that one.

Also, if you have a fear of clowns Life Expectancy will double it. Not as scary as it was funny though. Good book.

Dean Koontz question

I know that Koontz wrote a book titled Tick Tock but didn't he have a character also named Tick Tock in another book?

djipson said:
I know that Koontz wrote a book titled Tick Tock but didn't he have a character also named Tick Tock in another book?

Do a search on play or a google i am sure you will find your answer on one of them :)

I was looking through some books today and picked up Life Expectancy. The main character is Jimmy Tock, is that what you meant by any chance?

Yes, I've read Life Expectancy and Jimmy Tock is the main character in that book.

Also, I think in dragon tears a hobo keeps telling this detective 'tick tock, tick tock... they're coming for you at midnight' or something like that.

Am i the only one who finds his use of similies annoying and moronic? i've read one book and tried to read another of his and couldn't stand it.

I've only read Intensity and Velocity. Intensity was great, Velocity was awful, and I bought a hard back version! I doubt I would read any more now because of that.

i read by the light of the moon and i tried to read odd thomas. it's just the fact that he has to compare EVERYTHING to describe something. i think we can make sense of it without comparing it to darth vader.

I've read several of DK's novels and I must admit that I enjoyed the storylines. However, I do agree with the comments made about his use of metaphors and similes. Another thing I always look out for in his novels is the use of a particular word. He seems to have a favourite word that will crop up several times throughout the novel and it always makes me smile and I wonder if he has a 'word for the day' link going on:)

I liked him a lot when I was younger, but these days I find his writing to be irritating. :rolleyes: Mind you, I just borrowed Life Expectancy from the library yesterday - I just keep on trying to find something I like by him. :rolleyes:

Pinecones360 said:
Am i the only one who finds his use of similies annoying and moronic? i've read one book and tried to read another of his and couldn't stand it.
I was actually thinking about buying one of his newer titles I saw in the bookshop the other day. But my girlfriend just told me that she agrees with exactly what you have said in this forum Pinecones. And she also thinks that he is ripping off Stephen King.
I won't get that book now.
Thanks for the tip...
:)

I think he definitely peaked with Intensity; it's by far his best book. Whispers was pretty good too. But I have tried a few of his others, and didn't find them captivating at all.

i must say it would probably do me good not to make this assumption before i read more than one of his books the whole way through, i just despise authors that take it for granted that you as a reader are a moron. sometimes it is alright, but when it really comes down to it description is better than a comparsion. a comparsion of something so well know as night. and choc you're welcome, glad i could be helpful.

I liked two books by him (The House of Thunder and Watchers), but I could not stand the third book, Odd Thomas. Watchers I quite enjoyed; The House of Thunder was pretty crappy until the ending, which was good one; Odd Thomas was just - for lack of a better word - bleh, the way he described things and all of his stupid gags every paragraph was annoying, it was so bad that I only read like 30 pages.

Back