• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Deep Fryers

Motokid said:
...but what is it that the frying adds that would not be there otherwise?

ice cream, whipped cream, banana's, strawberry topping.....all sounds great....what's the fried layer on the ice cream do for the exprience?

A delicious crunchy shell.

leckert said:
over 90% of your body.

Haha. I can't help it if I'm braver than you are! ;) Perhaps you need a little Fry Daddy. :D

Just thought I'd mention the marvelous banana fritters I made for dessert tonight. They went over very well. Would have been better with whipped cream, but my guests and I were able to deal.

Leckert

Hey, Thanksgiving dude....got any fryin' plans????

I must re-stock the oil. Thinkin' about using plain old canolla oil over the peanut again. Hope the wind and the weather allow me to fry outside and not undercover of the garage....

MOTO!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too!

I'll be carrying a five gallon jug of peanut oil to my Father-in-law's next week. Maybe we can burn his house down instead of mine!

I highly recommend sticking with peanut oil. It doesn't burn as quickly as canola, and you can't beat the taste! It's a little more expensive, but T-day is only once a year!

leckert said:
I highly recommend sticking with peanut oil. It doesn't burn as quickly as canola, and you can't beat the taste! It's a little more expensive, but T-day is only once a year!

I don't know that the peanut oil adds much taste. Canola has much less fat, and I inject the bird with some melted butter before I fry it.

Plus I then reuse the oil for other things for the next few months. Onion rings, mushrooms, Freedom Fry's :rolleyes: , chicken, and I will be doing some fried Snickers bars too.....still have not tried that, but what better time than when the oils already heated after the turkey?

Motokid said:
... I will be doing some fried Snickers bars too.....still have not tried that, but what better time than when the oils already heated after the turkey?

That's what I call dessert!!!!

No, and I'm not sure how that would work. (short answer)

The turkey by itself is hollow (you don't fry with stuffing in it :) ) so part of the awesome cookinf process is the bird is cooked from the outside in, and from the inside out by the hot oil.

I think a Turducken would have to cook longer since the cavity is stuffed full which might mean over cooking the turkey?

That's the longer answer. ;)

We attend a reunion every September and they have a deep fried turkey. I must say that I enjoy my wife's oven roasted turkey at Thanksgiving much better. :)

Motokid said:
The turkey by itself is hollow (you don't fry with stuffing in it :) ) so part of the awesome cookinf process is the bird is cooked from the outside in, and from the inside out by the hot oil.
Apparently you dunk the whole thing in a huge pot of oil - outside only because of the danger of a grease fire. Some friends of mine looked it up recently when they were considering it for Canadian Thanksgiving, but it was just too dangerous to do without the proper equipment! Regarding the stuffing and so one, I have no idea. Muggle - what do you do?

We had a traditional turkey on the Sunday and beer-butt turkey on Monday - that's where you shove a can of beer (Fosters is good, not for the fact that it's Fosters, but because of the shape and size of the can) up it's bum and let it balance on that. The heating process causes the beer to evaporate and moisten the turkey from the inside out. We didn't have a big enough oven so we did it outside on the BBQ under a make-shift hood. Fan-damn-tastic! No deep frying, though, so perhaps this is off topic...

Kookamoor said:
Apparently you dunk the whole thing in a huge pot of oil
Yep, that's why it's called deep frying. :p

Here's the thing. The oil is supposed to be maintained at around 375 F. You cook the turkey for about 4 minutes a pound and then add another 5 minutes or so to the total cooking time depending on the size of the bird.

That's for your standard regular turkey.

A turducken would obviously weigh more, and since the cavity is filled pretty much solid with meat from the duck and chicken the cooking time would have to be increased. Plus, since there's not really any cooking from the inside out (because the cavity is filled) I would think this would add to the time also. So my concern would be the turkey getting really really really cooked in order for the duck and chicken to be cooked as well.

My thinking is it would be better cooked in an oven at lower heat, but for a much longer period of time. I guess we'll have to google this to find out for sure.

muggle said:
We attend a reunion every September and they have a deep fried turkey. I must say that I enjoy my wife's oven roasted turkey at Thanksgiving much better. :)
Really? I've found that a deep fried turkey is so much more moist and flavorful. In fact, one Thanksgiving, we had a particularly large family gathering and had two turkeys, one fried and one oven-roasted. The fried turkey was picked to the bone and the oven turkey was still about 2/3 intact by the end of the meal. What is it about the oven-roasted turkey that you like better?

Many people inject their fried turkeys with all kinds of stuff. Cajun seasoning (no pun intended :D ) is one that comes to mind. There are all kinds of things (really anything liquid) that can be used to flavor a fried turkey.

My guess would be that muggle had a turkey that was flavored in some fashion not to her liking.

Oh, yeah, you can take anything you like, even if it is too chunky to inject, just whip that puppy in a food processor and off ya go! Trust me, my hubby likes to experiment with chicken.

Kookamoor said:
Apparently you dunk the whole thing in a huge pot of oil - outside only because of the danger of a grease fire. Some friends of mine looked it up recently when they were considering it for Canadian Thanksgiving, but it was just too dangerous to do without the proper equipment! Regarding the stuffing and so one, I have no idea. Muggle - what do you do?

We had a traditional turkey on the Sunday and beer-butt turkey on Monday - that's where you shove a can of beer (Fosters is good, not for the fact that it's Fosters, but because of the shape and size of the can) up it's bum and let it balance on that. The heating process causes the beer to evaporate and moisten the turkey from the inside out. We didn't have a big enough oven so we did it outside on the BBQ under a make-shift hood. Fan-damn-tastic! No deep frying, though, so perhaps this is off topic...
We just like the traditional oven roasted turkey taste over that of the deep fried in ALL THAT OIL. If done correctly the oven roasted is not dry. The stuffing helps to keep the turkey moist. Turkey roasted to the correct temperature with stuffing in it is moist and very flavorful. Deep frying a turkey means you have to forego (spelling) the stuffing which to me is a wondeful part of the meal......and no, the turkey that we have at the reunion every year does not have any extra injected stuff in it, and of course, no stuffing. :) We do have plenty of beer though, not in the turkey, but rather iced down in coolers. :)

The other thing might be the oil it's fried in. Many people use peanut oil which flavors the turkey a bit.

I use canola oil which does not flavor it, and is very low in fat and cholesterol (spelling?).

The stuffing can, and is in my house, made seperately using some broth from the giblets.....very very tasty.....

Enjoy your oven roasted turkey....different tastes is what makes the world go 'round...:D

muggle said:
Deep frying a turkey means you have to forego (spelling) the stuffing which to me is a wondeful part of the meal......

Be very careful with your stuffing! Most people don't know it, but stuffing is very dangerous, especially when you're cooking the turkey to the "right" temperature. If you overcook your turkey, the stuffing is safe, but who wants to do that? We cook the stuffing in a cassarole dish and it comes out just as good.

mehastings said:
We cook the stuffing in a cassarole dish and it comes out just as good.

Oooh, but you don't get the wonderful flavour from the turkey juices!

Back