• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Discussion

phil_t said:
Perhaps you should consider that maybe we just enjoy have fun, non-sensical conversations, and that in GENERAL chat maybe we dont have to take things so seriously?

lol, like you take anything seriously here. ;p

warm_enema said:
From what I've noticed, most people cannot talk about politics or religion without the conversation getting heated.

In my experience with forums, I've found that the politics does get heated. It's not a route I like to go down either. On the religion side I've seen it as more interesting - an example being this: wit, theory, passion, and ignorance. :)

SillyWabbit said:
There is a simple relpy, and I promise you that I'm not being snarky :) If you don't like it... leave :)

Oh, but I do like it. ;)

Having said that, you are also very rude and arrogant, and insulting.

I'll admit I can be abrupt and this can be open to interpretation. Self assessment would deny that accusation. :D

You seem to go to great measures to prove to people know you are how clever you are. I wonder if you are insecure?

No measures. If I'm not sure on something I'll look it up - that's the greatest measure. I'm not insecure; I've got no reason to be.

With this posting you insulted and alienated almost every person that posts to this forum. Half of them that post fun stuff you call "childish" and the other half you claim are idiots because they like to read things that you class as stupid or for kids, such as Dan Brown of Harry potter.

Right, let's tackle this. The first half should not feel alienated as I never said anything against the pictures, links, movies, and games posted in numerous threads here. I, without knowing anything about the forum's users, suggested that there was an element of youth. I did not say they were young or immature. There was even a joke there. ;)

As for the other half. They can read whatever they like. On the Dan Brown thing (hopefully this will be the last time this is even bothered with) I've said he was a bad author, and I've said his book was full of errors. The first is my opinion; the latter is, simply, fact. Others liked it. Okay, I'm happy with that.

And I've never said that Harry Potter was bad. :mad:

Basically, milo-0, you need to get some people skils dude! :D

I've enrolled in college for Introduction to Interpersonal Skills.

Litany said:
This is a discussion forum about books, and I joined it to talk about books. Mostly. But, if it was my only forum then I think I would get a bit fed up with not being allowed to discuss politics and religion. But I can get that fix elsewhere, so I don't miss it too much here.

I understand that. It's nice to be able to discuss things with a different range of characters/personalities every now and then.

Other than that, I would love to have an actual discussion/debate. But it's quite hard to think of subjects that won't start or end with politics and religion.

Understood. I can think of some. Not debates though; discussions.

Ashlea said:
people tend to have trouble identifying irony or sarcasm and so forth and get all worked up over nothing.

Funnily enough, I get that all the time. :rolleyes:

tugger said:
I enjoy the more deep intellectual discussions and often learn a lot from them. But, at the same time the banter between Wabbit and Martin and Phil_T and Raven often has me rolling on the floor in stitches. :D

Agreed. There's always space for both. Phil's ass is wearing thin though. I wonder what he's been doing to it. :D

Silly Wabbit - I agree totally with the two points you made in post 12. I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

lol, like you take anything seriously here. ;p

Well, to be perfectly honest, i find that fairly offensive - there is much i take seriously about books, on the forum and off - have a look at my posts within the actual Book Discussions and maybe you might find a more serious side to me? ...

There's always space for both. Phil's ass is wearing thin though. I wonder what he's been doing to it

Well im glad for that comment actually, because i agree .... so, expect an announcement on that front soon ;)

Phil

NO! PHIL NO! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I LOVE YOUR ARSE... I LO... what am I saying????

Regards
SillyWabbit

Martin said:
If you wanna post a funny pic, post a funny pic. It's all allowed.

Then why not have a thread for funny pics, a thread for links to games, a thread for jokes, etc. instead of numerous in the same vein?

It's just that every time I go to the General Discussion section there's threads with unspecific titles that I open only to find more of the same.

I'll admit that I do find some funny; others lacking. Of course, this is a case of each to their own. I just think that there should be threads for these 'genre' of post.

As I said at the start of this thread, I'm not intent on change. Just interested overall. :)

I enjoy most discussions, but not greatly interested in politics or religion and would avoid both; the light-hearted stuff – well, depends on my mood. The interaction is good. If I was at a party with you all, I wouldn’t say a word – too quiet. But I feel I can join in this particular party. I like trying to analyse you all: wonder what you look like: judge how you will react to topics; guess your personalities. Everytime I’m fed a new piece of information, I have to re-assess. You are all on a see-saw, and I push you from one end to the other depending if I’m feeling good or bad about you on a particular day. :)

Third Man Girl

third man girl said:
I like trying to analyse you all: wonder what you look like: judge how you will react to topics; guess your personalities. Everytime I’m fed a new piece of information, I have to re-assess. You are all on a see-saw, and I push you from one end to the other depending if I’m feeling good or bad about you on a particular day. :)

The Book Forum. Not just a place to discuss books. We also boast excellent facilities for stalkers and scary people. Join now and we'll send you a free pair of night vision goggles.

:eek:

I really would like to have the opportunity to finish the discussion about Bush. I've got frustrated when it was abruptly stopped. ;) Furthermore, I don't think that style of discussion depends on its topic. Politics and religion can be talked about with calm and respect for the views of others, while chat about favourite flavours of ice can be turned into the fight. It depends on the people involved.

Litany said:
The Book Forum. Not just a place to discuss books. We also boast excellent facilities for stalkers and scary people. Join now and we'll send you a free pair of night vision goggles.

:eek:

LOL :D

Third Man Girl

Mile-O-Phile:
Then why not have a thread for funny pics, a thread for links to games, a thread for jokes, etc. instead of numerous in the same vein?
Well, simple, actually. As I've said, and I'm sure you've noticed, this is a bookforum, with a number of subforums (fora?) for each genre. Besides that, there is the General Chat-Forum. When you enter that one, you know there's going to be, well, General Chat, don't you? And generally speaking, you can make out the contents of a thread by looking at the title. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about; if you don't wan to see something, just don't look.

TMG:
I like trying to analyse you all: wonder what you look like
So, tell me, what do I look like?

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Martin said:
TMG:

So, tell me, what do I look like?

Tall, slim, big feet, long fingers; sort of lopey, like a big puppy. Light-brown, soft, collar-length hair. Round face. Clean shaven. You don't walk, you stride; but haphazardly, not purposefully. Ninety percent of the time happy, occasionally can be huffy-grumpy. Short attention span. Devoted in love.

Marks out of ten? ;)

Third Man Girl

First off, apologies to Mile, for stealing his thread. Your much desired discussion will commence in a minute.

TMG:

Tall, slim, big feet, long fingers <--- spot on, but I've told you that.
sort of lopey, like a big puppy <--- don't really know what 'lopey' is, but have been called 'puppy' more than once.
Light-brown, soft, collar-length hair. <--- nope. Short and black.
Round face. <--- if by 'round' you mean 'ugly', you're spot on.
Clean shaven. <--- most of the time, yes.
You don't walk, you stride; but haphazardly, not purposefully <--- true, up to a certain degree.
Ninety percent of the time happy, occasionally can be huffy-grumpy. Short attention span. Devoted in love. <--- yes, yes, yes and yes.

So, out of ten, I'd give you a ... 7. Not bad.

Now, proceed. Discuss.

Martin said:
Tall, slim, big feet, long fingers <--- spot on, but I've told you that.
sort of lopey, like a big puppy <--- don't really know what 'lopey' is, but have been called 'puppy' more than once.
Light-brown, soft, collar-length hair. <--- nope. Short and black.
Round face. <--- if by 'round' you mean 'ugly', you're spot on.
Clean shaven. <--- most of the time, yes.
You don't walk, you stride; but haphazardly, not purposefully <--- true, up to a certain degree.
Ninety percent of the time happy, occasionally can be huffy-grumpy. Short attention span. Devoted in love. <--- yes, yes, yes and yes.

Yes, I knew you were tall, don't remember reading slim, long-fingered, big feet. Lopey probably isn't a word, but I was thinking of the verb 'to lope' - to kind of bounce around like Wabbit. Okay, wrong about the hair (surprised, to be honest). I didn't mean ugly when I said round. I meant 'not angular'. I don't picture you as being ugly, and I refuse to. So there. :) :)

Third Man Girl

Blue and pink and full of custard. Neurotic. Dangerous. Attention deficit disorder. :D

Seriously? Sandy haired, you enjoy a laugh but can be cynical at times. Prone to scruffiness, but you tidy up when you have to. Lots of crazy thoughts running around your head when you SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION. Medium height. Lots of casual friends, no particular close one. Idealistic, and angered by the constrictions (oops maybe I mean restrictions :eek: ) you are bound by.

I'm not so confident this time. You're harder to read than the Dutchman.

Third Man Girl

Am I that easy? Really?

I don't picture you as being ugly, and I refuse to. So there
Shucks .. Tha't's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.
bigblush.gif

Back