• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you buy, borrow or take out from the library?

Do you buy your books or borrow them from the library?

• Buy from the Bookstore

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Borrow from the Library

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Both

Votes: 31 42.5%

• Total voters
I think of my book transactions as recycling. The only books I keep are old favorites, reference books and ones that I am using for courses. My books mostly come from the library book sales or the Good Will. Spending $15-20, I usually come away with 10 or 12 books, including some interesting discoveries.

I also use Internet book exchanges. For a while I used Zunafish, but they only exchange paperbacks. Now I am using Bookmooch and have gotten some very worthwhile books that way.

I'd rather if I could buy all my books in (new)bookstores. But it's not always possible to find some books I look for in such places so when that happens I skip to the next option, which is to buy from used bookstores. It's cheaper and I can find used books in good conditions. The oldest book I bough from such stores was "Ways to Katmandu" (1969), written by Barjavel, a not famous french author. I would never find such book in ordinary bookstores like those we see in the shoppings for example. Anyway, It's always better to acquire a never-used book... Oh, and if none of these two options is enough to find what I'm looking for, then I go to a library.

I buy. Library books have a smell.

lol
what you mean?? Would it be old paper smell?

Both but if I can get the book from the library I usually do. If I bought every book I read I'd be broke and wouldn't be able to afford the second house I would need to buy just to store books.

Although I still buy, mostly second hand, I have enough for re-reading.
But, I don't have enough in comparison to my library system. I request books from different branches of the county library if it is not found in my local library. I don't mind the wait. :cool:

I borrow what I can and buy what I cannot borrow. This method has saved me bajillions in book costs. Now my bank account doesn't cry as often.

I borrow from the library almost exclusively. I only buy second-hand and only authors or stories or subjects that are familiar enough to be a sure thing. This year I bought new twice; used, about eight; and borrowed sixty plus.

Librarians, I heart you.

I buy all my books, that way I am not rushed to finish reading by a certain date. I can also leave the book sit on my shelf for awhile until I get around to reading it. I do buy about 99% of my books at the used bookstores, so it really doesn't cost much. I can pick up anywhere between 3 and 6 books for the price of a new one.

Wow.. I wish I could find a decent enough used book store to find those sorts of books. I have yet to find a decent book store.. and one with decent prices as well!

Wow.. I wish I could find a decent enough used book store to find those sorts of books. I have yet to find a decent book store.. and one with decent prices as well!

oh I think I'm lucky I can not complain about the used book stores in my city. The are two good ones only in my neighborhood. If I'm in home, I just have to walk about 15 minutes and I reach them. I can find many titles there I would never find in a not-used-books store. It's great. And there are other used book stores around the city. But for getting to these other ones, I must drive if I want to reach them in less than a hour…

Both for me, though I mainly borrow from the library. However, if there is a book that I can't wait to get my hands on, then I'll buy it.

angerball said:
However, if there is a book that I can't wait to get my hands on, then I'll buy it.
I truly think I have a problem because I view just about any book as one I can't wait to get.:eek: If I'm reading a few at a time, I'm not quite as anxious and will amazon or B&N them, but if I finish what I have, I need another book STAT. I reread a few in the interim, but find myself in the bookstore usually the day following my finishing of the previous book.

Canker said:
If I bought every book I read I'd be broke and wouldn't be able to afford the second house I would need to buy just to store books.
My husband keeps telling me this is going to be a necessity for us soon. I have a guest bedroom that is nearly full of books (we don't have many guests that stay with us and those that do always crash on the futon in the office). I also have boxes upon boxes in my attic, 2 full bookshelves in my home office and another in my office at work. I also have 3 bags of books in the back seat of my car. Hello. My name is BeerWench and I'm a bookaholic.

I went through a huge book-buying phase earlier this year. I was buying 4 or 5 books a week for a while, and I've got the to-be-read stacks to prove it (not to mention the diminished bank balance).

I'm trying to read everything I've bought before I go crazy with more purchases, but with the holidays coming up, I'm sure I'll get some more books as gifts.

My goal for the new year, though, is more trips to the library, less to Half Price Books.

We'll see how it goes.

Both. I go to the library about three times a week for storytime for my two small children. I am always at my checkout limit (which is 30) and then start using my husband's library card also. I love the library for children's books (to pre-test them to make sure my kids like them before I buy).

I do love owning my own books (I have the bookshelves to prove it). Something about looking at my collection just makes me all warm and fuzzy. I go to a local thrift store about once a month and pick up around 15-30 titles each time. This is a great money saver. I take some disinfectant wipes and clean off the covers and they look good as new.

I do buy new books as well, usually ones that I am in a hurry for and can't wait to find them at the thrift store. And I usually buy all my children's books new, I don't savor the idea of buying previously chewed on books.

I buy books, I love to open a new book to be greeted with a new book smell rather than greeted with a used/don't know what its been through smell with some pages stuck together and stains inside the book.

I buy them. I read series so I want to be able to have the books on hand to look up bits and pieces of previous books when I'm curious about something or want see it from a different perspective when I know more of the plot. Periodically I'll trade in books that I don't want to re-read or keep so I can buy more books. Our local library is small but I used borrow alot from there, so I have read all the books I wanted to. When I moved towns a few years ago I donated 60 books, mostly fantasy, to the library, which quadrupled their fantasy section.

I buy all of my books mainly for two reasons:

1.) I don't borrow from friends because most of my friends wouldn't have anything I would like to read (I'm rather picky).
2.) My local library has very little to choose from (I am from a small town).

So since our local bookstores has more than twice the selection of the Library I just buy everything I read. Also the used bookstore is cheaper and you can trade in books you are finished with for store credit. Although since I can never bring myself to get rid of any of my old books it doesn't help me much (if I don't get rid of some soon I'll have to move to a larger apartment :) ).

I used to buy, but once I've read the book, it sat on the shelf or in a box gathering dust. Has almost no resale value to talk of. Usually goes to charity after a few years.

So now I try to borrow when I can. :)

Back