• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Eragon

Votes: 8 61.5%

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
Eragon by Christopher Paolini + sequel

At present, I am reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. It's a very good book except for the long decriptions of certain areas (towards the end which is only a personal opinion), but overall I find it a great read. For those of you have read this book and are planning to read the second book, what did you think of it and what are you expecting of the sequel?

I hope the sequel won't be so rambling.. I liked Eragon, and am glad to have bought it for my oldest son, who was a reluctant reader at the time..he's read it several times and now reads for fun.. so mission accomplished on that score! As a homeschooling mom, I am happy to see another home schooled kid do well-the author of Eragon is a home school grad- it's an encouragement to other home educated kids.

I'm not sure if you could call Eragon a hack-job, since the author was only fifteen when he wrote it, but it's well done for a fantasy novel by someone so young. He did ramble with description, but so do most new authors. Maybe his sophmore follow-up will be tigher.

I'm not sure if you could call Eragon a hack-job, since the author was only fifteen when he wrote it,

I don't know what an autho's age has anything to do with it. Is tehre na ydoubt he has read The Lord of the Rings, Pern, and EarthSea before writing Eragon?

His work is basically derived from those 3 novels IMHO; and clearly.

Yeah, this is one I'm very anxious about starting. I've heard a lot of "It's Star Wars written by a 15 year old, with dragons." Eh, I'll probably end up reading it anyway.

I agree. When I was reading Eragon I was like what the heck! this is just like LOTR with other bits and pieces from fantasy thrown in. You can see exactly whats coming: Eragon is the tragic-destined-hero with his enduring-soon- to-be-legendary love for beautiful elf, will go on a quest where he will face a battle for good and evil. However, I have no doubt that Eragon started off as kind of like a "fanfic" of stuff like LOTR. I do admire Paolini, considering he is still so young and most people his age could hardly figure out what to do next week, much less write a book.

I just saw the seconed book at Barnes and Nobles. I think it just came out last week. I've never read Eragon or Eldest, but I'm sure I will pretty soon. (Trying to Revive the Thread)

I picked up Paolini's Eragon and Eldest for a change of pace. I'm Just starting Eragon, so no comments yet.

I managed to read some of the book over my lunch hour. The story is good enough, but he isn’t holding back any information that might create a little suspense. The other thing I noticed is that his writing doesn’t flow as well as I’d like. Everything aside, I’m enjoying the story and can’t wait to see what’s going to happen next.

I really really don't like his first book, he just copy's everything from other writers, does the word originality rings a bell Paolini? I am not going to read the sequel, I'm too afraid I will read more feist, tolkien etc... in there

I finished the book earlier today. It was a good story, and a good first novel by a very young author. I find it hard to argue with anything said. There was a lot LOTR and even some Star Wars in it. Mr. Paolini should do well if he develops his writing and learns to be original. That said, I’m really looking forward to reading the second book.

I've read Eragon and have the 2nd book in the Inheritance Trilogy - Eldest (have not yet started reading it), and I must say I liked Eragon. I didn't care for the style of writing though, was choppy and a lot of it unnecessary. It also seemed a lot like LOTR, but I still enjoyed the book. Christopher Paolini had a book signing in Kansas City last Saturday and I missed it. Argh! :(

Oops, I forgot to add that the characters and their relationships with one another didn't have much depth to them either. For some reason I didn't care for one of the main character's personality - Eragon. My nephews act more mature than him, and they are half his age. It just seems like for a Dragon Rider he should be a little more mature and a lot less arogant and naive.

Back