• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Euro 2004

No, I think that would ruin the game :( Football is essentially supposed to continue uninterrupted for the full 45 minutes of each half - if you start inroducing video replays, soon the game will be held up for every minor infraction and nothing will get played at all! All people can make mistakes, and referees are no exeption to this, but it isn't that often they make mistakes that change the outcome of the game. They're contemplating using two additional referees as it is, to stand behand each goal - to avoid having to resort to technology.

Saying that, I was livid at a decision made by Peter Mikkaelsen is Euro 96 where by the ball crossed the line by at least a foot before bouncing out - the whole world saw the 'goal' but it wasn't given as the two people that mattered, the referree and the assistant referee didn't see it - and thus where the game should have ended in a draw, the team who had 'scored' ended up loosing (though overall the result didn't affect the standing of the teams).

I see what you mean but with technology today it doesn't need to take that long - it can be checked in seconds. It also wouldn't need to be checked for every infringement - maybe just things in the box (especially where the linesman disagrees with the referee as was the case last night).

They used to have unlimited replays in American Football, and they finally had to stop because the use was so overboard. We were forced to wait for the ref to watch every play over. Now the teams get a limited number of replays, which is quite refreshing (they had been banned outright for several years). I like the idea of a few, as some calls really do need to be reviewed, but the replays don't really prevent bad calls from being made. Sometimes the refs watch the replays and still make calls that appear to be wrong to every other human being watching the game.

ControlArmsNow said:
That's not what I said hobitten, in fact just the opposite. Any team which found itself a goal up with a minute remaining, and so in the next round, would do everything to protect that lead - deliberately conceding a goal in those circumstances would never happen, regardless of history.

I am so sorry, Neil. I wasnt' referring to you specifically, but to the general idea of a hoax.

Sorry.

Hobitten

hobitten said:
I am so sorry, Neil. I wasnt' referring to you specifically, but to the general idea of a hoax.

Sorry.

Hobitten

Don't worry Hobitten, my mistake. Good luck with the rest of the tournament; as an Evertonian I hope that Tommy Gravesen scores the winning goal in the final (now that The Roonster can't - boo hoo!) :)

What a tremendous shame, England won't be the best in Europe at kicking a pig's bladder through a metal frame for another 4 years. Excuse me if I don't slit my wrists right away.

Themistocles said:
What a tremendous shame, England won't be the best in Europe at kicking a pig's bladder through a metal frame for another 4 years. Excuse me if I don't slit my wrists right away.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"? Yes, and "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." ;)

It just hit me - France out, England out (sorry, guys), Italy out, Spain out. If it wasn't for Portugal, this would be a shoe-in for Holland!

Cheers, Martin

Fluff, did your 'bro' even watch the match between Holland and the Czech Republic last saturday? You know, the one which the international press dubbed 'one of the best matches ever'?

Well, did he?

Cheers, Martin

I'm not saying it was something you'd seen already, but it was certainly not boring.

I mean, it was only the best game of the tournament, 's all.

Cheers, Martin

Blog?

Anyway- all these teams failing to go the distance.
I'm betting a few virtual chocolates that Holland'll be knocked out by the end of the semis.

Back