• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Eye Of The Eye

A novel called Eye Of The Eye?

Whoever that someone is had better give credit where credit is due, not to mention a hefty percentage in the form of royalties to yours truly.

( i.e. Me )

Just spent an EVENING reading this thread...

Actually, never mind why you can't flip burgers at McDonald's. I can easily see you screaming at your manager that you cook burgers better than anyone else in the restaurant and that you should therefore own the company. :rolleyes:

No, it seems to me that he would cook the burgers declare that none should eat them!

Actually, has anyone actually considered that he may in fact be of Vogon origin? Look again at the original 'poem' it's a dead giveaway.

My origin

Actually, I'd like to think of myself of 'Vulcan' origin.

You know that race of people from the Star Trek series?
Emotionless and devoted to logic, yet feel an all too common human emotion called irritation when in the presense of others who are not as logical as they.

On the other hand, as I will describe in my autobiographic novel ( A/N )
I MOST consider myself a Stoic. Shedding myself of all useless and petty emotions while submitting myself to the devine will.

Keep in mind I'm paraphrasing, you idiots.

Someone once said, it is better to remain silent and be suspected a fool, than to open your mouth ( or stoke a keyboard ) and remove all doubt.

We should all be good 'Stewarts' (d) of wise and insightful quotes.

I'm not your enemy, but I just have to say it...

Someone once said, it is better to remain silent and be suspected a fool, than to open your mouth ( or stoke a keyboard ) and remove all doubt.

We should all be good 'Stewarts' (d) of wise and insightful quotes.

I'll be publishing my first novel before you, and I'm 15. Yea, and I'll send you some copies, then I'll roll around in all ze oh-la-la moneh and rub it all over myself, then wipe my rich egotistical ass with it and send you it in the mail. Then you can cry with your fancy smancy vocabulary and go back to watching your Star Trek shows. Dubious of your own online ego, you will continue to write boring "poetry," on a forum and continue to tell people of your soon-to-be novel that most likely exists in your head rather than on a sheet of paper or stored in some document. I had to type it. I don't know why.

A long lost idea.

Someone once told me a conversation either has reached a conclusion or 'lust for fervor' as it were - when comedy is brought to the forebear.
Never had I realized that true fate until now.

Lots of people write books, even more people publish what they want to.
That doesn't concern me. Why you ask? Because for as high as a person may want to prop themself up, there's always someone who can tear them down like the strawman that they are.

James Frey, Kaavya Viswanathan, Dan Brown and other outed literature frauds serve as just one example of living a short stint where people can recieve money and/or notoriety while waiting for the eventual rug to be pulled out from under them.

I think it's wrong to knock authors like Dan Brown. He's a "successful author" by his own definition of "success" I should imagine. Just as your own personal definition of "success" is your own.

Personally, I enjoyed the gentle escapism of his most famous novel (I don't dare speak it's name here), as well as a couple of others. Ok, they didn't tax my brain, nor did I foam at the mouth with delight or find any life-changing revelations within them... they we're just 'fun'.
Perhaps that was all he set out to achieve, to write a fun story based on some creative speculation, and a little bit of money... um am I going off on a tangent here?

Oh, come on now, you silly goose. You didn't really mean what you typed in there now did you?

Because for as high as a person may want to prop themself up, there's always someone who can tear them down like the strawman that they are.

James Frey, Kaavya Viswanathan, Dan Brown and other outed literature frauds serve as just one example of living a short stint where people can recieve money and/or notoriety while waiting for the eventual rug to be pulled out from under them.

Silly, silly, silly goose. The first paragraph defines you easily as ze scarecrow without ze brain (hardy har), and as for the authors; they're "succesful," because their books have sold. Their books have sold because people have enjoyed them. Let your overly-grown ego tinker with that idea for a bit, and then once again when you realize you suck, we shall meet at Starbucks and get down to editing your biography. You know, the one you've been working on.

Stupid People

Stupid people make up their own reasons for wasting money on books,
particularly when it turns out not to be what it was advertised as.

Stupid people make up their own reasons for why they were sucessful
at making money off writing garbage.

Those are not the issues at play here.

What is at play is the aftermath of a good deal gone awry. James Frey and Kaavya Viswanathan - a Harvard Law School student no less, serve as both perfect and fairly recent examples of just such a thing.

James Frey got a guest shot appearance on Oprah Winfrey, James Frey was long touted by others as having an inspirational book, James Frey also got an admirer on the internet who studied and researched his work so carefully that person found unusual inconsistencies, exaggerations, over embellishments and outright lies.

The wall as I say came crashing down, and in the aftermath he lost his agent, his publisher and his preacious fame. Reduced to just another 'Screech' lookalike.

( Screech from the tv show Saved By The Bell )

As for the little Harvard student, she got as far as a sweetheart advance payment which soon was ordered paid back in full. So you see why if you have a story to tell, you had better make sure it's really yours to tell and not something cheap you scavenge off the deep see blue and dress up.

Until these two examples came along, literary agents and publishers thought that they could get away with this nonsense while making it a rediculous proposition for anyone without a lot of money or some form of noteriety - to get published.

You know what...I couldn't resist. Sorry, I only have to ask one question.

I wanted to know if manuscriptx is saying that all books are crap and we're wasting our time learning to read in the first place. Certainly most of the popular fiction, particularly for my age group, is trashy, but such an odd stance for a writer to take, that all books are trashy...

Well, everyone has an opinion. And, Manuscript, while you may not like someones book, it doesn't make others stupid for liking it. Opinions lead to judgement, judgement leads to critics, and critics are essentially the public. In writing, your success is based on the public acceptance. As for your poems, not many people here like them. Does that make us stupid? If you say so. As for books like The Da Vinci Code, people loved it when it was making its run. You didn't, because I have a feeling you were reading Shakespeare thinking it somehow made you a literary genius. Anyhow, yea, until you publish a novel that sells well and is praised by both critics and fans alike, you should - in a beautfil phrase of the century - shut the **** up. Bluntness works better, and I didn't even use any fancy smancy words.

Eyes in the sky.

For their own reasons, I'm glad to see others still felt a need to keep an eye on this particular thread, no doubt posting their opinions. Insignificant although they may be.

Back