• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Quotes

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper." Quentin Crisp

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde[/i]

My dear,.. dear Sybarite, not only am I quite sure that you were amiss in your wording of the quote,...... I am also quite...quite sure that you've attributed this particular quote to the wrong Oscar. For I do believe in fact that it was Oscar the Grouch who did first spout this fine maxim, though his wording were more fine, as it were, mayhaps.

You see, there is an Oscar of England, an Oscar of the gutters, and an Oscar of the stars.

"Squeak". - The Death Of Rats, Discworld novels

"Humans need fantasy to be humans. To be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape." Death, The Hogfather

"First comes smiles,then lies, last comes gunfire." - Steven Deschain, The Dark Tower

"Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would… and then someone passed me a bit of some sweet stuff, and suddenly I realized that I had been to China. So to speak. And I'd forgotten it. It was the taste of the sweet stuff that brought it back? I think it was marzipan." - Some character from His Dark Materials

Ah, now next to a good book, quotes are something I really enjoy. I put two of my favorites in my signature, other than that here are a few I like.
"When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me."-W. Somerset Maugham
"Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."-Jeanne Moreau
"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow."-Jeff Valdez
"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function."-unknown
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."-Aesop
You can't get 8 chihuaua's to do that either.

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Good evening."

~Bill Hicks

OK, I'm going to type a very weird thing...

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Good evening."

~Bill Hicks

Actually this idea from the quote above is not wrong. If it was possible to create a robot or a microchip that was capable to realize that it was only a simple robot or a microchip, this device would not feel so different from us. Maybe it would see that being a robot or a microchip is kind of humdrum and then this thing would start to think even more and create answers to the questions "why am I a microchip/robot?"; "how was I created?"; "who did create me?". If this device, after crafted, were left alone, in a box in the corner of the laboratory, it would have no clues about the engineers that have created it. So this device would start to figure out a whole story of its own creation process. "Wel, something must have created me", it would think.

In our case (I mean humans) it's called religion.

So, if we certainly were created by something or someone, probably all the religions are supposed to explain why and by who we were created, and the answer would be by same thing or individual (or god) for all the religions. Just like the device knew it was created by something, but did not know exactly its creators were the engineers from the laboratory.

LoL Did someone understand it? :confused:

"The plan was elaborate. Drive past the scene several times, approach the motel on foot, swivel my head to look peripherally into rooms, locate Mr. Gray under his real name, enter unannounced, gain his confidence, advance gradually, reduce him to trembling, wait for an unguarded moment, take out the .25 caliber Zumwalt automatic, fire three bullets into his viscera for maximum slowness, depth and intensity of pain, wipe the weapon clear of prints, place the weapon in the victim's own blood as evidence of his final cult-related frenzy, take his supply of Dylar, slip back to the car, take the expressway to Blacksmith, leave Stover's car in Treadwell's garage, shut the garage door, walk home in the rain and the fog."

~White Noise by Don DeLillo

Actually this idea from the quote above is not wrong. If it was possible to create a robot or a microchip that was capable to realize that it was only a simple robot or a microchip, this device would not feel so different from us. Maybe it would see that being a robot or a microchip is kind of humdrum and then this thing would start to think even more and create answers to the questions "why am I a microchip/robot?"; "how was I created?"; "who did create me?". If this device, after crafted, were left alone, in a box in the corner of the laboratory, it would have no clues about the engineers that have created it. So this device would start to figure out a whole story of its own creation process. "Wel, something must have created me", it would think.

In our case (I mean humans) it's called religion.

So, if we certainly were created by something or someone, probably all the religions are supposed to explain why and by who we were created, and the answer would be by same thing or individual (or god) for all the religions. Just like the device knew it was created by something, but did not know exactly its creators were the engineers from the laboratory.

LoL Did someone understand it? :confused:

How would the creator know the robot was self-aware?

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."

"Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well-known fact."

Granny Weatherwax, via Terry Pratchett

"The radical notion that women are people"
cant remember where i read that but it was while doing some research for a essay on feminism.

Well its not my favorite quote. But off the top of my head its all i could think of. And i like it alot. Ive always been very much into womens rights. I actually mark alot of quotes i like in books, leaving my books looking like a college text book. But didnt take the time to go through any.

Favourite Quotes or Descriptive Writing

Sorry if it's been done before but do you have a favourite quote or descriptive passage from the book you're reading now,or one of your all-time faves?

Walking blindly out into the street,stumbling around a broad puddle lying like a filthy mirror,the moon imbedded in it like a vandal's rock.

from The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux

Back