• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Films about books

Will

Okay, so I know this is the non-book discussions, but after watching the Ninth Gate recently it got me thinking about great films around which books are a major/central theme.

The Ninth Gate is Roman Polanski's film version of The Club Dumas and is a border-line thriller/horror movie, or definitely thriller/supernatural heavy. It revolves around an antique bookseller played by Johnny Depp who is hired to verify the authenticity of a book, and the dangerous adventures he undertakes trying to do so. Definitely one for the bibliophiles among us (and which hints to the dangers of obsessive book collecting).

84 Charing Cross Road - About a relationship via mail between a customer in the U.S. and a bookseller in London, England that develops over the years. Okay, I must admit to not having watched all of this, as it was a little too sentimental for my tastes, but the half I did see was fairly enjoyable, and my other half enjoyed the film a decent amount.

okay, that's two off of the top of my head... anyone else got any more they can recommend... thinking about books about books I'd like made into films, one that comes to me is Shadow of the Wind (if done properly).

Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!

Shutter Island
It
The Green Mile
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Jaws
Jurassic Park
Lost World: Jurassic Park
Amityville Horror

(Pretty much all of Stephen King's stuff has been turned into movies...)

Anywho. I've read/seen all of those listed above. Amazing.

By the way, in The Evil Dead, the book is called Nyturan Demonta. It's the second movie where they start calling it it Necronomicon. :)

Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!

Also, I think you mean Clatto Verata Nicto :)

You know, I love The Club Dumas, but I don't much care for its film adaptation. Am I alone?

Thank you for getting this thread back on topic. And yeah, I didn't like The Ninth Gate very much either. I found it to be dull.

Back to movies about books, the main characters in You've Got Mail own bookstores. I don't know how often they discuss books since I haven't seen it.

Also, I think you mean Clatto Verata Nicto :)

Actually, I meant to quote the movie.

Staying on topic, John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness is certainly a movie about a book. Well, at first. Then it becomes a movie set in that book, and then it just gets weirder from there.

I watched The Book of Eli recently. Not bad at all. A post-apocalyptic world in which a book can become the most powerful weapon there is.

Over the weekend, I had the chance to watch Eat Pray Love.

Given its insane top seller status as a book, it makes sense that the film receive a huge blockbuster adaptation. I originally viewed its release as a negative, and figured that the adaptation wouldn't do the book justice. Very soon though, I found myself warming up to the film, feeling more than satisfied to watch Julia Roberts as Liz. I thought she did a great job. Likewise, the all-star supporting cast members did an excellent job. My fav character from the film was by far "Richard from Texas," who she meets in India (played by Richard Jenkins, one of my favorite actors).

One thing in particular that struck me was the film's score. I thought it was scored beautifully. The cinematography was also beautiful. It obviously helps that you're filming on location in various paradise destinations.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the film and I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering watching.

Actually, I meant to quote the movie.

Staying on topic, John Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness is certainly a movie about a book. Well, at first. Then it becomes a movie set in that book, and then it just gets weirder from there.

I watched The Book of Eli recently. Not bad at all. A post-apocalyptic world in which a book can become the most powerful weapon there is.

Oh! Nis...Nis...haha.
What does that mean?
Party down!

Carrie
I don't think I mentioned that one before...The book was better, definitely, but slightly confusing whenever they'd break off and start talking about the court scenes...I did like the remake of the movie better, because it was closer to the book. The one thing that urked be about BOTH of the movies was the fact that, in the book, Carrie's fat. In both movies, she's this teeny little skinny girl. You would think that they'd be consistant on the size of the girl...

Once again, the thread is on films about books, not films based on books...

Does Stranger Than Fiction count? I can't stand Will Ferrell, but he was actually good in that one.

And then of course there's The Neverending Story. Apparently they're remaking it. As much as I hate that idea, I have to admit that the special effects in the original really weren't very good...

Ah Good Ol' Yumiko Readman.

I need to catch up on Read or Die. I watched the first episode a few years ago and never got round to watching the rest of the series.
I liked the series until about the middle of it, then it lost some of its appeal for me.

I do have a Yomiko PVC figure. :whistling: Not a geek at all! ;)

Back