• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

General Chat Divided - Yay or Nay

Should General Chat be subdivided?

• Total voters
Motokid said:
As a point of interest regarding Pigeon's thoughts, where would my "Admit it, you fart , and you love it" thread be listed? Would this be in the non-serious catagory, or the serious catagory?

You would need another poll for that and it depends on gender. Generally speaking, men think farting is hilarious, specially in bed. Women, who are usually the victims of the poisonous gas attack, consider it extremely serious. :D

So where do we stand on this?

The poll indicates 11 voted to divide it, and 10 voted to leave it as it is.

And I put it to 12 in the yay camp. One of the reasons I only venture rarely into the general chat area of the forum is that you can never guarantee whether a thread you're generally interested in has gone OT.

I like OT in a certain context. I like it when it kind of stems from the original topic.

I hate, hate, hate when it degenerates into mindless babble that seems just an effort to raise the posters' post count. I've been a member of this forum since last year and only managed to clock up just over 300 posts, but this is because I consider everything I post and try to make meaningful conversation. Other people have been here barely a quarter of the time than me and are already celebrating their 1000th post!! So there are quite a number of people who clearly celebrate the mindless babble and so I think an outlet forum for them is a good idea, so that they don't clog up the more interesting and valuable topics.

You know, Magemanda, that very much depends on time people have to kill, I think. It is very often that I feel uneasy about spending time here while I could use it for my business. So maybe I will have to cut my staying here some.
And many people do not have this problem - so why not to spend their time here and bubble? Really, if I could - I would be bubbling more, maybe...

I have over 1500 posts cause I'm havin' fun. :D

I dig being able to converse with people all over the world that I otherwise would never have the chance to talk to and have fun with...

I "talk" more here than anywhere else in real life. It's got nothing to do with watching my post count. It's all about having fun...

It's a great experience to learn about other people. I think you should post more magemanda....

Motokid said:
I have over 1500 posts cause I'm havin' fun. :D

I dig being able to converse with people all over the world that I otherwise would never have the chance to talk to and have fun with...

I "talk" more here than anywhere else in real life. It's got nothing to do with watching my post count. It's all about having fun...

It's a great experience to learn about other people. I think you should post more magemanda....

Yep. I could sign under these myself. It is fun to be able to talk to all these people. To know more. Now I know much more about people in the other countries because of this forum.
Due to my business I know mostly wealthy and highly successful persons all over the world. And, really, most Russians think that life outside Russian boundaries are very much different - people are rich, prefer TV to books, everyone owns at least one car etc.
And knowing this forum it is easy to see we all are essentially the same. Russians speak in exactly the same fashion on our forums, and are interested in exactly the same things, and I met people here who are not much reacher than an average Russian, I think... So... I am glad I am here. Too bad I have to work...

I agree that it's fun to talk to people and get to know people. I'm sorry, but I find not a lot of value in talking about sporks (?), penguins or hobnobs. None of those things help me identify with a person or get to know them. Talking to them in threads like those Motokid starts or in the film/TV section help me to start having fun with people.

magemanda said:
I agree that it's fun to talk to people and get to know people. I'm sorry, but I find not a lot of value in talking about sporks (?), penguins or hobnobs. None of those things help me identify with a person or get to know them. Talking to them in threads like those Motokid starts or in the film/TV section help me to start having fun with people.

point taken, noted, appreciated and understood...thanks...

A spork as I know it, is a nifty little item that combines a spoon and a fork. Basically it's a spoon with just enough of the fork prongs sticking out the end to be able to stab solid food, but still has the usual spoon capabilities too. Great invention....usually made of plastic so it's mostly disposable.

I think Wolhay nailed it.

Without which we're allowed to discuss religion or politics, what would be the point of the split?

I voted no. If R&P were going to be allowed on the non fluffy side, I'd say the opposite though.

I never realized there could be so many rules! I belong to a couple of forums which have no rules whatsoever, and they seem to get along get along just fine, and have done so for years.

Of course, they have a fraction of the members that are present here...

I'm not complaining -- I'm just sayin'

One I'm a member of has about 30,000 members and there's no rules - the members keep it going fine. :)

Stewart said:
One I'm a member of has about 30,000 members and there's no rules - the members keep it going fine. :)

Seems that if somebody gets too far out of line people just ignore them, and that's quite often punishment enough. Has that been your experience?

Or if a couple of people start bickering, other people just tell them to cut it out? And usually the worst offenders end up by going away mad?

BTW, what is the 30K one? Sounds interesting. Or is that where the bickerers have all gone off to?

:D

I voted nay, I like it as it is, but as I am probably one of the getting off topic and being non-serious offenders, I will be with jenn and whoever over on the bs section/smokers room/ espresso bar or whatever...

StillILearn said:
Has that been your experience?

Yeah, that's been it. In the history of the forum (since 1998, I think) only one member has been banned for being an asshole. I've had to ban a number of other members but that's only for spamming products and services or propaganda that have no place there.

BTW, what is the 30K one?

It's Access Programmers - nothing has really been tamed. We have American v Brit poltical/military fights nigh on constantly.

magemanda said:
I'm sorry, but I find not a lot of value in talking about sporks (?), penguins or hobnobs. None of those things help me identify with a person or get to know them.

Magemanda,

some of us need to talk about sporks, penguins, and hobnobs with total strangers. It is a great release, and an opportunity to explore an anonymous identity that you never knew you had before! While it may not be intellectual, or "cultivated" conversation, it is real.

My only concern with subdividing the General Chat forum is that I will then have another forum to track. It is hard enough for my uncultivated, bourbon-soaked brain to remember where the good threads are already! I guess I could just subscribe to the good ones, but then I miss the new good ones!

I voted "nay" (Nay now leads 16 - 13!).

And, amazingly enough, I have been having a blast here since last month, and I am nearing 500 posts! It certainly doesn't seem like that many!

Did I hapen to join in just at the end of some kind of forum-ly upheaval?

Do you mind recapping, for the benefit of those of us who mised all the fun, what happened -- or (if that's too painful), just telling us if it made anybody wonderful stalk off and leave for good and all?

I plan on sticking around, BTW. When I'm in, I'm in.

I voted no, I don't believe that the chat forum is of the size where it's really necessary. At the ame time, if there is a split, there should be some qualifying remarks as to what connotates serious posts and what constitutes social stuff. Personally, I never tire of 911 conspiracy theories. :p

Back