• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Global deal for novel by girl, 11

Stewart

Global deal for novel by girl, 11 (Source: The Guardian)

A fantasy novel about tribes of warring birds, written by a gifted 11-year-old girl who lives in the southern-most province of China, is to be published worldwide in English.

The young author, Nancy Yi Fan, won the extraordinary opportunity by simply emailing her manuscript to the chief executive of HarperCollins, Jane Friedman, at the publisher's New York office.

Fan has since been hailed as a prodigy by her editors who will use her book in a new attempt to establish the firm in China . Her story, Swordbird, is an epic allegory about the struggle for peace and will be printed in this country in the new year. Those who have seen it talk about it as the product of a mind as imaginative as some of the greatest names in children's writing.

Fan wrote the novel in response to learning of the war on terror, and it is described as 'an action-packed tale of birds at war', set in the once-peaceful Stone-Run Forest. It tells how local woodbird tribes, the Cardinals and the Blue Jays, find themselves pitted against each other in a search for precious food supplies - some of which have mysteriously gone missing. Fighting breaks out and an evil hawk, Turnatt, turns the tribes against each other as part of a plan to take over the forest. He enslaves captives from surrounding tribes and is forced to build an impregnable fortress in which to confine all the woodbirds.

Born in Beijing in 1993, Fan lived in New York with her parents from the age of seven, graduating 'with excellence' from an elementary school there in 2004. When she was in sixth grade, at the age of 11, she was taught about terrorism and the events of 9/11. That night, she explains, she had a startling dream all about birds at war and the next day she started writing Swordbird in her bedroom as a way of trying to convey her worries about violence in the world. She now lives back in China, on the beautiful Hainan Island with her parents and their three pet birds. The girl, now 13, is a compulsive writer and reader who spends most of her time in the library, but she also loves bird-watching and martial arts.

The hero of Swordbird is an escaped 'slavebird', Miltin, who leads the woodbirds once they learn of Turnatt's strategy. The title refers to a legendarily heroic bird of peace. The Swordbird is the only one who can save the forest, so young birds Aska and Miltin fly off on a dangerous mission to find the Leasone gem. This stone, paired with an ancient song from the 'Old Scripture', will conjure Swordbird's help. The story has been chosen to launch the publishing house's new push into China.

This summer HarperCollins announced it would be publishing a series of Chinese works overseas, as well as bringing out Swordbird in the United States, the UK and China and launching Cidian.cn, an online Collins English-Chinese dictionary.

The publishers also linked up with the Chinese People's Literature Publishing House to collaborate on a scheme for both new and classical works by Chinese authors to be translated and published overseas. Initially, five classic Chinese titles will be published for the English-speaking market.

Commenting on the agreement at the time, Liu Yushan, president of the People's Literature Publishing House, said, 'It is our goal to enable people around the world to appreciate and enjoy works of Chinese literature.'

While I have no interest in reading it when it comes out, I wonder if it is as good as is said here. The cynic in me sees it as one of those hype things where the publisher is seeking to break into the Chinese market so a book where an 11 year old making headlines might help to solicit further manuscripts for the company in the if-an-eleven-year-old-can-do-it-then-so-can-i mentality. Or, on the other hand, it might just be good enough.

Are you a racist?

You don't believe Chinese people can write? :mad:

Nothing Stewart said was racist at all. What he questioned is the veracity of the claims that this book is A. Written by an 11-year old and B. Is as wonderful as they say.

I think I'll treat that comment with the contempt it deserves.

Abec, I don't doubt that it was written by an eleven year old. I'm happy to accept that. I'm more interested in whether it will bring more Chinese writers out of the woodwork as a way of helping Harper Collins make inroads to the Chinese market.

I think I'll treat that comment with the contempt it deserves.

Abec, I don't doubt that it was written by an eleven year old. I'm happy to accept that. I'm more interested in whether it will bring more Chinese writers out of the woodwork as a way of helping Harper Collins make inroads to the Chinese market.

We can sure hope, can't we?

There are probably fantastic Chinese novels that haven't been translated. Why not start with them? The cynic in me, the realist really, thinks the child angle is nothing more than a gimmick.

There are probably fantastic Chinese novels that haven't been translated. Why not start with them? The cynic in me, the realist really, thinks the child angle is nothing more than a gimmick.

Considering the age of Chinese culture, and the lack of Chinese novels we've seen, it is a shame so few have been translated.

Born in Beijing in 1993, Fan lived in New York with her parents from the age of seven, graduating 'with excellence' from an elementary school there in 2004. When she was in sixth grade, at the age of 11, she was taught about terrorism and the events of 9/11. That night, she explains, she had a startling dream all about birds at war and the next day she started writing Swordbird in her bedroom as a way of trying to convey her worries about violence in the world. She now lives back in China, on the beautiful Hainan Island with her parents and their three pet birds. The girl, now 13, is a compulsive writer and reader who spends most of her time in the library, but she also loves bird-watching and martial arts.

Graduating with excellence?....it's elementary school!. I honestly hope that she is very talented and that it isn't a case of her parents being super pushy, determined to make her succeed in the world of writing. For some reason, I think this may very well be the case.

I am inclined to agree here. I'm rather pesimistic when it comes to books written by children. There are undoubtedly dozens of excellent Chinese authors that we don't have access to, yet this child gets translated into English. It just doesn't seem right.

I am inclined to agree here. I'm rather pesimistic when it comes to books written by children. There are undoubtedly dozens of excellent Chinese authors that we don't have access to, yet this child gets translated into English. It just doesn't seem right.
I completely agree. I don't think that this is anything but a publicity stunt. The plot that was outlined in the article above doesn't seem all that "imaginative" to me - most child writers write a book along similar lines (and even many adults).

"The publishers also linked up with the Chinese People's Literature Publishing House to collaborate on a scheme for both new and classical works by Chinese authors to be translated and published overseas. Initially, five classic Chinese titles will be published for the English-speaking market."

No doubt that it's a gimmick for publicity, but if it brings good, lesser known authors to light, more power to them.

I completely agree. I don't think that this is anything but a publicity stunt. The plot that was outlined in the article above doesn't seem all that "imaginative" to me - most child writers write a book along similar lines (and even many adults).

Whilst I agree with the posts on the thread regarding the fact that this is a publicity/ marketing stunt but may have some longer term benefits for writers in general I do feel slightly sorry for the author.

If she has genuinely sat down and written a book, even if it is a relatively short one of 150 pages or so, then assuming that only the usual edits are required to get it into a publishable and readable format, I personally feel that this is a great achievement for an 11 year old. I agree that many children can and dow write stories but a book is a different kettle of fish.
(Lot of "ifs", "buts" and "maybes")

If this book is to be used in such a manner then she will be set up as nothing but a figurehead and moneymaking machine by the publishers and exposed to all of the criticism which a mature author could expect (including all of the doubts and cynicism justifiably expressed here). which just seems a bit of a shame.

The Young Visiters was written by a 9 year old and that's fantastic. Only around 80 pages though I think.

Hey, if 10-year-old girls can be popstars and movie stars, why not writers too? After all, the "tween" market is where the money is these days. And if Britney Spears can write a novel...

...Or maybe it's part of Rupert Murdoch's (owner of HarperCollins) latest brown-nosing initiative to ingratiate himself and his companies with the Chinese authorities - like when he cancelled HarperCollins's publication of Hong Kong governor Chris Patten's memoir East & West as it contained criticisms of the Chinese regime.

Ahhh I didn't know Rupert owned Harper Collins. I don't like the idea of anyone's politics influencing what is available to read. It's worse when it's him. Or those of his ilk.

Ahhh I didn't know Rupert owned Harper Collins. I don't like the idea of anyone's politics influencing what is available to read. It's worse when it's him. Or those of his ilk.

I don't know who Rupert Murdoch is, but I felt the same way when I saw the post about politics influencing what gets published. Then I thought, "why be so shocked?" This is certainly nothing new. Unfortunately.

Back