• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Goodreads

Both there and the other. One for discussion the other for catalogging. Both bargains at their prices.

I like a couple of the groups on Good Reads, they have extremely civilized discussions, but stopped listing my books there, it's too much trouble to list on both sites, and Good Reads didn't have what I was listing about a quarter of the time, so I'd have to input the information manually. Library Thing has a better data base evidently, and really, 25 dollars for a Lifetime Membership isn't too shabby.

That's my main gripe about Goodreads - lack of images for the covers of most of the books I have put up so far. I blame the esoteric subject matters. :p

That's my main gripe about Goodreads - lack of images for the covers of most of the books I have put up so far. I blame the esoteric subject matters. :p

Hah. They didn't have the cover I have for Harlot, by Norman Mailer. It's an interesting sort of cover, and the one in hardback. Shouldn't be too difficult to have on file. I wanted to download a copy of my cover, and the "powers that be" said I couldn't, I'd have to get one of their "librarians" to do it. Gak.
Frankly, that's more trouble than it's worth to me, when on Library Thing, all I have to do is upload a cover for myself if they don't have mine. And that's only happened to me once on LT.

As I mentioned, better database, also friendlier management, more willing to extend themselves to coordinate with their contributors.

Hah. They didn't have the cover I have for Harlot, by Norman Mailer. It's an interesting sort of cover, and the one in hardback. Shouldn't be too difficult to have on file. I wanted to download a copy of my cover, and the "powers that be" said I couldn't, I'd have to get one of their "librarians" to do it. Gak.
Frankly, that's more trouble than it's worth to me, when on Library Thing, all I have to do is upload a cover for myself if they don't have mine. And that's only happened to me once on LT.

As I mentioned, better database, also friendlier management, more willing to extend themselves to coordinate with their contributors.

Ok, I'm there. I still have a lot of books to put in but I already had that same problem. They don't have the book edition I own and I can't upload it myself. So this is a plus for LT.

But I do enjoy the shelves system very much so I may keep listings in both...

You guys must read a lot or being unlucky because out of the 60 or so books i entered this years as read and about the same has to read 5 or 6 didn't have the right covers.And i don't mind switching for a better one if the one i own is uggly.
Of course 25 dollard isn't much but i'm sure some people live in places where you can't pay with credit card for currencies raison(including me) .This is often ignored but is the case with many countries.

You guys must read a lot or being unlucky because out of the 60 or so books i entered this years as read and about the same has to read 5 or 6 didn't have the right covers.And i don't mind switching for a better one if the one i own is uggly.
Of course 25 dollard isn't much but i'm sure some people live in places where you can't pay with credit card for currencies raison(including me) .This is often ignored but is the case with many countries.

Label me a heretic, but I don't care so much if the edition matches perfectly, since I usually read libary copies anyway.

Heretics! Both of you!!!

I really don't mind if the edition doesn't match mine, but I like the covers to be the same as the ones I own. I have a very visual memory and although I may not relate the title to the story some times, I can relate the book cover to the story immediatly...

And yes, I also collect stamps :whistling:

Heretics! Both of you!!!

I really don't mind if the edition doesn't match mine, but I like the covers to be the same as the ones I own. I have a very visual memory and although I may not relate the title to the story some times, I can relate the book cover to the story immediatly...

And yes, I also collect stamps :whistling:

It's ok, we'll still save you a place at the table:flowers:

Well, you all convinced me. I signed up. But I have a question. Is it considered bad form to ask someone to be a “friend” there based solely on the fact that you like their book selections? The reason for doing this is it makes it easier to follow people with similar tastes and makes it easier to decide what you might want to read next as well.

Ok, I'm there. I still have a lot of books to put in but I already had that same problem. They don't have the book edition I own and I can't upload it myself. So this is a plus for LT.

But I do enjoy the shelves system very much so I may keep listings in both...
The shelf system is nice, but truth be told, I don't take that much advantage of it.

Regarding the currencies, LT only accepts PayPal, don't they take different currencies?

Label me a heretic, but I don't care so much if the edition matches perfectly, since I usually read libary copies anyway.
The library is nice, but they have one feature I really don't appreciate.
For some reason beyond my ken, they want the books back! Now, if I didn't like the book, that's fine and dandy, OTOH, if I liked it, I want it. :D :whistling:

Seriously, I have a peculiar quirk that I want the actual book I read for the first time. I may have multiple copies of books, but the original is special.

I don't visit Listal much for books anymore. I mainly use that site for keeping track of movies and video games. Maybe I'm the real heretic, hehe. ;)

Well, you all convinced me. I signed up. But I have a question. Is it considered bad form to ask someone to be a “friend” there based solely on the fact that you like their book selections? The reason for doing this is it makes it easier to follow people with similar tastes and makes it easier to decide what you might want to read next as well.

I'm not sure. I've befriended one or two people that way, and it has gone well..nobody showed up at my door with uzis and grenades. If you're worried, you can always include a message with your 'friend' request, and say something about choosing them based on similar reading interests as seen by browsing their shelves. Since I use my first name on GoodReads instead of my forum usernames, I will send a message identifying myself by the name that person would reckognize.

I add friends on GoodReads based upon similar reading material too. But it usually has to be several similarities before I accept friend requests from others. I declined someone not too long ago because the only books that we had in common was the Harry Potter series.

What? No Peter Hoeg?

I want to recommend miss smila's feeling for snow by peter hoeg. he's danish and its about a half-danish/half greenlander woman exisiting on unemployment bebefits who tries to solve why a greenlander boy fell from the roof of an apartment block.

its written in first person present tense and it works great, real tension. and its well-written.

(There's a movie version from 1997 with julia ormand - not as good as the book, but still worth a look.)

I want to recommend miss smila's feeling for snow by peter hoeg. he's danish and its about a half-danish/half greenlander woman exisiting on unemployment bebefits who tries to solve why a greenlander boy fell from the roof of an apartment block.

its written in first person present tense and it works great, real tension. and its well-written.

(There's a movie version from 1997 with julia ormand - not as good as the book, but still worth a look.)

That book's great. I LOVE Smila Jaspersen, she rocks. She's so cynical and vulnerable, like the ice that she studies. Julia Ormond played her really well, although I felt that the film should have explored her world more.

And the book's really well written. I didn't like the present tense at first but got really into it.

Back