• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greatest Americans

i'm not american, but i would definetly put Charlie Chaplin in my top twenty, maybe even top ten... about the rest i inform you later.. have to think...

Stewart said:
Alexander Graham Bell in a top ten Canadian list? :eek:

Were they struggling for a list of ten Canadians and thought they'd use a Scot because he lived in Canada for a while? :D

no we just have an affinity for scotsmen. :D

and @ kenny, no doubt it was something british first. we canadians also love to flaunt our britishness. if you're doing it, we most certainly are doing it.

Numbers six through eight on my list would be:

Jane Addams.

Frederick Douglass.

Henry Thoreau.

6-10? off of the top of my head...

Rosa Parks
Ronald Reagan
Jimmy Carter
Neil Armstrong
Thomas Edison

(maybe not in that order)

jenngorham said:
kenny, no doubt it was something british first. we canadians also love to flaunt our britishness. if you're doing it, we most certainly are doing it.
Then you can brace yourself for more Brit-TV imports, Celebrity Ballroom dancing, Celebrity Love Island, Celebrity Javelin catching etc.. oh and for some reason Sir Ian McKellan on Coronation Street….

Kenny Shovel said:
Then you can brace yourself for more Brit-TV imports, Celebrity Ballroom dancing, Celebrity Love Island, Celebrity Javelin catching etc.. oh and for some reason Sir Ian McKellan on Coronation Street….

we already have the ballroom dancing. the americans grabbed that first. i did read about sir ian being on corrie. i will have to wait up to 8 months though , we are waaaaay behind. i cheat all the time though and check out the episode updates.

Kenny Shovel said:
Celebrity Javelin catching etc..

That would be worth a watch.

And we Americans could do with a few more celebrity imports from across the pond:

Celebrity Articulated Lorrie Dodging?
Celebrity Canyon Jumping?
Celebrity Toaster Bathing?
Celebrity Oven Breathing?
Celebrity Light Socket Licking?
Celebrity Noose Testing?

:D

Well, we've already had Celebrity Wife Swap (I kid you not), which wasn't the end of civilisation as we know it, but was f#@king close...

Kenny Shovel said:
...Celebrity Wife Swap (I kid you not)...

That would be even funnier if they were swapping their wives for a Mountain Gorilla, or a Saber Toothed Tiger Shark!

We have a show here now called "Trading Spouses", where wives or husbands switch families. Apparently, the auditions to be on this show are only open to gap-toothed, mullet-wearing rednecks, or gangsta' thugs. I have never watched an entire episode of any "reality" show, and I am sorely disappointed in the availability of "traditional" programming. You know, where they actually pay professionals to be entertaining.

My wife watches all the "Survivors" and "Real Rules" and I have to leave the room. There is only so much I can stand of a stupid whiney kid crying over what someone said about them, or whatever.

Makes me sick!

leckert said:
We have a show here now called "Trading Spouses", where wives or husbands switch families. Apparently, the auditions to be on this show are only open to gap-toothed, mullet-wearing rednecks, or gangsta' thugs.
Unfortunatly that’s another reality TV format you got from us. "Trading Spouses" is the American version of "Wife Swap" a show on Channel four over here. The format is pretty much the same; take one middle class, slightly square couple, and one Chav (Brit version of Trailer park trash) couple. Swap wives, film ensuing chaos, then bring all four together for one last slanging match at the end. It’s basically an updated version of the Victorian freak shows for people who can’t be arsed to switch the TV off. I find it almost hypnotic.

so really we have the uk to blame for all of the reality tv shows. it's the new british invasion.

btw kenny, what is your hamster holding today? a film clap board thing? wasn't he holding a camera before?

One of the best comedies to come out of England lately is the fake reality show where Bill Nighy plays a fly-on-the-wall journalist visiting different professions. Called People Like Us.

The Office is built on the same principle.

I love this man::

anews.bbc.co.uk_media_images_39864000_jpg__39864189_nighy_afp.jpg

He's in Shaun of the Dead and the new Hitchhiker's too, among many many great things. The show State of Play, where he plays a newspaper editor, is also great.

jenngorham said:
so really we have the uk to blame for all of the reality tv shows. it's the new british invasion.
The birth of reality TV really comes from Big Brother, which was originally a Dutch TV show based on MTV's ‘The real world’. But yes, we do seem to be churning out some real reality based crap at the moment. I'll give you my bottom three poor taste reality TV formats, heading your way from the UK....
3) There's something about Miriam...
Twelve guys fight it out for the chance to spend a luxury holiday cruise with beautiful Latino goddess Miriam. Only on the last show does she reveal to the winner (in front of the eleven losers) that she is actually a post-op transsexual.
2) Celebrity detox....
Featured a colonic irrigation session where one brave? Celeb got to examine his ‘stool quality’ with an ‘expert’.
1) Celebrity extreme detox...
Featured several groups of Celebs, one went to South America and took hallucinogenic drugs, one went to a hippy run programme in Thailand where they are taught holistic masturbation and one group based in the Himalayas who had to drink their own urine. The last got off lightly, they just had to go mountain climbing with Jack Osbourne.
I’m sure you’ll look forward to your versions of that..

jenngorham said:
btw kenny, what is your hamster holding today? a film clap board thing? wasn't he holding a camera before?
He’s always had the clapper board you see now...well unless I change my avatar to the sleeping otter pic...

oh i could have sworn he was once holding a camera.....

so the dutch are too blame huh? too bad martin wasn't around to disput this. :rolleyes:

novella said:
One of the best comedies to come out of England lately is the fake reality show where Bill Nighy plays a fly-on-the-wall journalist visiting different professions. Called People Like Us.
Actually the voice behind the journalist in People like us is Chris Langham:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/imagedump/2662.jpg
although he does sound, and perhaps look, like Bill Nighy.
You are right about People like us being an inspiration for the Office and it's a shame this series isn’t as well known. If you like the humour of it, then Langhams latest show "Help" would probably be to your taste too, it has a very similar feel:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/h/help_999050224.shtml

As for Bill Nighy, he comes across in interviews as an intelligent, thoughtful man with a nice laconic sense of humour. I believe he has ‘a certain effect’ on the ladies as well...

jenngorham said:
oh i could have sworn he was once holding a camera.....
No sorry. Unfortunately my collection of pictures of Hamsters holding Film Equipment isn't as extensive as I would like... Any contributions gratefully accepted...

jenngorham said:
so the Dutch are too blame huh? too bad martin wasn't around to disput this. :rolleyes:
Well Big Brother was devised by a Dutch Company called Endemol. Their UK arm Endemol UK run the one over here as well as other reality TV shows. Which reminds me of number 4 on the poor taste reality TV format list:
4) The Farm
Celebs work as farm hands and learn 'real farm skills'. The first series, yes we've had two lots of this crap already, featured a woman previously famous only for sleeping with David Beckham (England Soccer Captain) masturbating a pig so the semen could be collected. Comparisons in the press were made.

Mmm, another TV classic heading your way from the UK.....enjoy.

Back