• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan: The Strain

Book two is currently in transit at the library for my hold on it. I cannot wait!

Will, did you have any character that you particularly enjoyed?

That's a tricky one given only Eph and Seraktrakian got any real in-depth coverage and whilst well written neither one jumped out at me in particular... I'd probably have to go for Vasiliy Fet. He has something of the survivor about him. ;)

I think that it's safe to say I am hooked on The Fall. Oh, the wait for the final book is going to be agonizing, isn't it?

I have The Fall sat on my shelf, patiently waiting for me to crack its spine. Hopefully that will be later today as I am quite looking forward to reading this. And yes, I think waiting for the third book will be something of an agony. Luckily though there's lots to read in the mean time :)

Okay, I just finished book 2. That was an intense read. And in true horror fashion anything that could have went wrong did. It was hard to put down and I am going to have a hard time waiting for the conclusion to come out next year.

Hey, I finished this last night. Awesome stuff, very enjoyable. What a year for the epic Vampire trilogies, Justin Cronin's The Passage and now this. The crown is being ripped away from the more romantically/gothic inclined Vamp-lit I feel and placed firmly on the head of the apocaplyptic action vampire horror novel. Great stuff.

Will, I couldn't agree with you more! I like my vampires scary and that's what we're getting! Have you read the collection of short stories called The Vampire Archives? You might like it.

Nora seemed to get a little more page time for this book, don't you think?

Will, I couldn't agree with you more! I like my vampires scary and that's what we're getting! Have you read the collection of short stories called The Vampire Archives? You might like it.

Nora seemed to get a little more page time for this book, don't you think?

I feel Nora still has some way to go as regards coverage compared to the other characters, but definitely got better treatment here than in the first book. In that one I felt she was treated (by authors) as just a bit of baggage to tag alone - here she was taking the 'baggage' along with. I did like the amount of time given to each character - especially Fet - it seemed just right. Liked Fet's 'micro-blog' that popped up here and there too. He's a cool character for certain, very rough guy with a heart of gold-type - I was wondering if he'd been written for Ron Perlman should this see a movie version? What did you think of the development and reveal of the Nazi vampire? I loved the tagging idea that cropped up. As well as the graffiti tag artist.

I shall check out The Vampire Archives in the near future. Have quite a reading pile at the moment (fiction and technical stuff) so ploughing through that as steady as I can ;-)

Ron Perlman as Fet? Interesting proposition. I could see that and they're definitely making Fet out to be a fan-favorite type of character. I thought it was interesting showing the woman in space and how she's watching what's happening on Earth. And it seems everything relates to the old professor's time spent in the concentration camp.

Did not like what happened to him in the end, even though you kind of know it's inevitable...

I was thinking, we'll likely see more of Setrakian via flashbacks and such. Possibly in order to reveal more of the bigger story arcs too. Can you believe we have to wait until 5th March 2011 for the next book... Eternal Night. Nice title.

That's not too long so I don't think I'll reach the point of going crazy wanting to know what happens. ;) I've been torn about whether or not to purchase these books, because on the one hand I rather like them but then again I don't really have the room for more books. But I realized that they're available in ebook formats so that is good news since I just purchased an eReader in an attempt to save space on my bookshelf.

Can you believe we have to wait until 5th March 2011 for the next book... Eternal Night. Nice title.

I'm just happy to hear the next one is due in March. I'm right in the middle of The Falland I'm enjoying it just as much as the first book.

I want to see this series turned into a movie. A good one! Nora and Eph may proceed with their relationship but it should be built on carnage and sacrifice. Zack may grow into manhood but not "pretty boy" manhood and his chest should NOT be hairless. And nobody better sparkle, dang it!!:D

A vampire-zombie apocalypse movie. Who's with me!!

I believe they are making this into a movie but I'm not 100% sure. I think I'm going to wait until March to read all of them back to back to back.

Good call. But I'd start now if I were you... that way you at least have a little bit of anticipation in the wait between 2nd and 3rd books (waiting's not always bad, right?)

I read 300 pages the last two days and have to say this book is great. I love the build up and I love how the characters and chapters come together and it doesn't drag. I can't wait to finish the last 100 pages.

Did anyone else know that Ron Perlman narrates the audiobook? I've been listening to a little bit of it... and he does a good job of it, I think.

Not that it's a huge difference, but Amazon UK has a Sept. 1st release date for this book in h/c.

My boyfriend is finished with his copy of The Strain audiobook. He gave it to me so I can listen to it now. He wants to read the second book. I'm glad that he enjoyed the first book. I would have hated to be raving about something to him and him not like it after all. I did that once before so now I'm more detailed about why I like something so he knows what to expect.

Back