• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Guinness

Yes! That's the guy! Thank you!

Been bugging me all night now. Of course, it would have taken four nanoseconds to look up on the internet, but hey, I'm a lazy guy.

Cheers

The cozy wood-paneled walls of the Tottenham where I first had a real, luke-warm, thick as soup pint thereof. Followed by the slightly acidic, though very colorful, memory of my chum Anthony surprising me with a Guinness with a cheerful head of pink foam. He'd thought, mistakenly, that for a change of pace I might enjoy a Guinness mixed with courrant juice. :(

But mostly, what comes to mind are my wonderful chums in England and how much I miss them (yes, Mr. Oblivion, that includes you).

Irene Wilde

Martin said:
Yes! That's the guy! Thank you!

Been bugging me all night now. Of course, it would have taken four nanoseconds to look up on the internet, but hey, I'm a lazy guy.

Cheers

Obi Wan is the least of it. I guess no one's ever seen the awesome Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Smiley's People or The Man in the White Suit or Great Expectations or The Ladykillers (unsurpassed original), to name a few? The passing of Sir Alec was one of the great losses to British theatre. Completely irreplaceable, subtle, and pure magic.

you got a point there
sadly young people either dont have the chance or simply dont care to watch old movies other than the ocasional flick on cable.
this way actors/actreses are remembered by their more commercial work, or their last ones
quick quizz for every one (dont check the net please)
movies by
Ben Kingsley
david niven
marlon brando
peter o'toole
donald sutherland
jack lemon

dont need to post your answers, (if you want to its ok to me) dont want to take the thread way to offtopic
just answer and then check the imdb o whatever site you like to see how wrong or right were you (also you can check the awards or nominations he got for what movie)

edit on a second thought dont really care about going off topic, after all its a thread about beer, just beware, the beer testing lady could get angry

novella said:
Obi Wan is the least of it. I guess no one's ever seen the awesome Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or Smiley's People or The Man in the White Suit or Great Expectations or The Ladykillers (unsurpassed original), to name a few? The passing of Sir Alec was one of the great losses to British theatre. Completely irreplaceable, subtle, and pure magic.

You guess wrongly. :mad: He was a very fine actor indeed and Star Wars really was one of his least impressive roles.

mr_michel said:
on a second thought dont really care about going off topic, after all its a thread about beer, just beware, the beer testing lady could get angry

I am indeed angered! :mad: Mr Michael, you're making my life one long nightmare lately.

When you mention Guinness, I think about something that tastes very nasty indeed and would rather drink some warm puke on a hot summer day! Yuk!

guinness - i remember taking a sip sometime when i was younger, and almost fainted. :)

i'm from malaysia, and i don't know if any of my friends take guinness to be honest. a colleague said something quite memorable about guinness that for some reason stayed with me: he said "urgh!"

i hardly drink, and when i do it's usually just beer.

ds

Litany said:
You guess wrongly. :mad: He was a very fine actor indeed and Star Wars really was one of his least impressive roles.

I am sadly forced to agree with you. Although I absolutely love Star Wars and think that Alec Guinness was marvelous in it, it pales in comparison to his other performances. I've been dying to see Kind Hearts and Coronets. has anyone here ever seen it?

Just for the record, I've seen all of Alec Guinness's movies many times and probably drank some Guinness stout at some point while watching one. From the looks of things here, I might comparably be an expert on Guinness, having had it many many times, draft and bottled and the new-fangled gassed-bottled available in US.

The reason it tastes different and better in UK is that it is still real beer there, hand pulled, not gassed and pressure kegged as in US. It is not my preferred real beer, though, which is something more along the lines of Bateman's or Young's ordinary. Also, real beer (live beer) in Old Blighty is never really "warm", but served at cellar temperature, near 50 F, which is cool to the taste.

novella said:

Kind Hearts and Coronets? Was that him too?

Yes it was. I haven't seen it yet only because I haven't been able to find a copy of it anywhere. My family watched it the day after I left home for college and told me all about it. Of course they rented it from a store that has since gone out of business. :rolleyes:

"Guinness" reminds me of a night, back in my salad days, when I got stuck drinking the stuff in a bar in Hoboken. I really only wanted one, but an over-anxious bartender kept refilling my glass the moment it touched the bar. I think I ended up drinking 8 or 9.

Freya said:
OK. When I say Guinness, tell me what springs to mind. Give me as many ideas as possible. I'd really like it if you stated roughly where you were from in the world too :D

Cheers.
Pub and pub food! :p

dele said:
Yes it was. I haven't seen it yet only because I haven't been able to find a copy of it anywhere. My family watched it the day after I left home for college and told me all about it. Of course they rented it from a store that has since gone out of business. :rolleyes:

Always wanted to see that movie, thanks for reminding me. Just added it to my netflix queue.

To keep on topic, I guess Guinness reminds me of McGonigel's Mucky Duck, a lovely pub with incredible music. They also make a Guinness Beef stew that is excellent.

Back