• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Halloween Reads?

cheese

Anybody reading anything just because it's October? I was in the book store and I picked up a copy of The Horror of the Heights & Other Strange Tales by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as a Halloween treat to myself. Great book so far! I love short horror stories.

Just downloaded "The Box - Uncanny Stories" by Richard Matheson from Audible. Love to listen to horror stories. :)

October's an all-horror month for me. Right now I'm in the middle of Edward Lee's Incubi and Dan Simmons' Children of the Night.

How are you liking Incubi? I didn't think it was that great, however Succubi is a fun read, check that one out if you get the chance. I didn't dig Children of the Night that much either. My October reading has been entirely taken up by the first 2 volumes of The Strain trilogy.

How are you liking Incubi? I didn't think it was that great, however Succubi is a fun read, check that one out if you get the chance. I didn't dig Children of the Night that much either. My October reading has been entirely taken up by the first 2 volumes of The Strain trilogy.

So far I like Incubi. The dream sequence with
that melting corpse
was so gruesome. He really has a knack for thinking up nasty situations. I think I'll try Lucifer's Lottery next.
I'm also enjoying CotN as well, even though it feels more sci-fi than horror.

Yes, Lee does go for the gross out! Of those 4 books that he wrote that take place in hell, City Infernal and Lucifer's Lottery are the best.

October is most definitely dedicated to chillers. I started with Adam Nevill's Banquet Of The Damned. I'm now in John Harwoods The Seance. Next is Susan Hill's A Woman In Black. Then comes The Chronological Man by Andrew Mayne. I may still be working my way through the list at Thanksgiving. So many books, so little time.

Finished the Doyle. Fantastic stories. I really like the way he writes.

Moving on to Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror & Fantasy.

I have considered collecting some of Edgar Allan Poe's works and reading them on Halloween night. His solitary aptitude can bestow quite a frightful demeanor and I find his allegory purely enticing.

Back