• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Movie

h_carnahan

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Release Date: November, 2005 (wide)

Release Date Notes: (3/23/03) Because of the length of this fourth 'Harry Potter' novel (734 pages), there have been reports that it may actually be produced as two separate films at the same time (like Lord of the Rings and the Matrix sequels) and then released in the same year. Warner Bros. has made no official annoucements yet about a year of release, but because the films are being made quickly while the kids are still kids, 2005 seems the most likely target. The third film, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is scheduled for release in June, 2004. (7/5/03) In conjunction with the media hype for the fifth book, a Warner Bros. spokesperson recently announced that the target release for this movie is November, 2005.

I got this off of:
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808475609&intl=us

What do you guys think will be the seperation point; what will be in each of the movies if they make two?

delete subplots? lemme see

trim the quidditch world cup - 50 pages (roughly)
completely eliminate blast-ended skrewts - 40 pages
trim the lectures(as they already did in the 2 films) - 70 pages
delete some Rita Skeeter's articles - 40 pages
Yule Ball - 25 pages
endless Harry-Snape antagonism - 30 pages

that cuts around 250 pages:rolleyes: or maybe i am bad at math

there wont be any continuity if the film is halved. the first half will be suddenly terminated as the book was intended to be one. you cant compare it with the matrix or LOTR which was already divided into six parts

Actually, the director has decided that it will definately only be one film now, not two - dont know how they're gonna squeeze it all into 3 hours though - still it should be funny to see Ron wandering round in a dress at the yule ball.

Phil

PS: You know we dont actually have a Prisoner of Azkaban thread yet :D

I've heard about that... but I've also read something about (like what Phil said) that it would be all in one movie already.

I won't even mind if the movie ended up 5 hours long :p

Seeing as the forth book is probably the best of all the Harry Potter books so far, I wouldn't mind if it were 5 hours either. I do think they need a new Harry though. Daniel Radcliffe isn't the best actor. He looks the part perfectly, but watching him act drives me crazy.

Maybe I am being a cynical old bunny, but I smell money. If they turn this into 2 movies they get twice as much money. I think they released the rumour to test reaction to the idea... but then maybe, just maybe, I am a cynical ol bunny :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

Mike Newell has recently stated that he will simply be cutting out as much plot as possible to make it into one workable film. Sounds horrible :-(

Agreed. This is my absolute fav. book out of all of them, and cutting enough plot out to make it into one movie is going to rip out of the story everything that makes Harry Potter Harry Potter. If he does that, we'll have another priz. of askaban on our hands...and we dont want that.

Watched the trailer...gives away nothing. Of course, I read it, so I figured out what they was going on, but my husband was totally confused.

Piedro, not a bad scene selection to remove, but they have to at least keep part of the Quidditch world cup...the death eaters end up there and that's kindof important.

I also agree that the way Prisoner was cut wasn't the best, it was frustrating to see my favorite book of the series dismantled and with significant parts removed. It is a new director, though, so maybe he'll do a better job than the last guy.

Although the trailer doesn't give anything away, I thought it was kinda cute how they show how every main character has grown up. Ron and Hermione look cute dressed up for the ball! I always wondered what they would do for Hermione for that, because in the book they take her as being an ugly charcter and then turning beautiful for the ball, but Emma Watson is not an ugly actress..

I liked the growing up, as well. Its hard to believe how much they've changed :) I didn't think the trailer was bad, just vague as to what happens in the movie.

There is something that could be done related to the handling of LOTR and that is film with the intent of having an Extended version for DVD. It's dicey for theaters to handle four-hour movies in terms of lesser ticket sales versus a two-hour movie no matter how much the audience is "built in."

I disagree completely that Prisoner was "ruined" however. Chris Columbus spolied everyone by doing such detail-oriented versions, and he really handled the actors poorly with all the "reaction" shots. No wonder someone wants Radcliffe replaced. I think he was much better in prisoner than the first two movies because the director gave him a chance to act. Malfoy is the one who's rather forced ... Newell will deliver an abridgement, but given the chance to overshoot on a four-hour movie budget and cut the release to three hours could serve both audiences, with a DVD for the afficianados ...

I bet that they release a DVD with extra fotage after all have been put out on DVD with all the movies and make it a gift set or special edition pacakge for like $200

The length of the movie is limited because it's considered a children's movie, and children have short attention spans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the DVD version released with extra footage.

As it is, I really don't expect that I'll be very happy with the movie because they'll have to cut a lot of material out to limit the time. I hated Prisoner of Azkaban because Cuarón left so much stuff was out, then put stuff in that wasn't even in the book. That movie looked like a bunch of scenes just stuck together.

Robert said:
The length of the movie is limited because it's considered a children's movie, and children have short attention spans.

You'd be amazed what children would do for HP

h_carnahan said:
You'd be amazed what children would do for HP

Probably not when it comes to Harry Potter.

But you know, that even most adults don't like going to see movies that exceed two hours. The books are getting longer, they have to cut more out even if they do make the movie a little longer.

Back