• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Movie

i know when i watched azkaban i left with a feeling of...that's it? it has been awhile since i read the book and so i know things were left out, i'm just not sure what. there was a lot of snape back history left out, but what else?

jenngorham said:
i know when i watched azkaban i left with a feeling of...that's it? it has been awhile since i read the book and so i know things were left out, i'm just not sure what. there was a lot of snape back history left out, but what else?

The whole Maurder's Map thing was downplayed alot; and I thought that it was very important for Harry to know all the history between Snape and Sirrius and James because that explained so much about Snape's hatred for Harry. I also thought that he needed to know that James and his friends wrote the map, that really bothered me that it was not said because it wouldn't take long to say that but yet it would add so much....

ok right. now that you said that it is coming back. i was looking for more explanation of moony wormtail padfoot and prongs, in the movie. and also harry's patronus was really down played and that to me was huge. a huge connection for harry to his dad.

There were a lot of things left out of Prisoner that were important to the development of the story. I think I came out of the movie with a list of almost a dozen things.

What's worse, IMHO, Prisoner was done so poorly that it didn't even stand up on it's own very well. The story didn't flow. It just jumped from scene to scene. Bad movie all around.

Robert said:
But you know, that even most adults don't like going to see movies that exceed two hours.
Not the Indians though. Maybe we should all just wait for a Bollywood Harry Potter... ;)

i don't mind long films at all. my only wish is an intermission to pee and get new refreshments. the goblet of fire is such a long book that i don't see how they will deal with all of the plot points. not to mention it isn't the happiest ending. i hope they don't sweeten it up.

I agree, I have absolutely no problems with long movies - I'm more than happy to watch a 3 - 4 hour movie in one go :)

In GOF I don't mind if they cut most of the Quidditch out (it's not my favourite part) but feel that if they shorten it too much the plot will be lost. POA was probably my least favourite movie so far (probably due to the fact it is IMO the best book coupled with the fact I do not like Thewlis :rolleyes: ) I felt they missed out a lot of information in POA that was part of the main plot (such as the history of the marauders map and more of Snape's personal history).

jenngorham said:
i don't mind long films at all. my only wish is an intermission to pee and get new refreshments.
I hate intermissions. It brings you back to reality halfway and that's not what I'm after when I go to the theatre.

i know, i love, love alan rickman. he is soooooo sexy in sense and sensibility and they are wasting him!!!!!!! not to mention that as the books progress so does his character, i think he is going to be an even bigger part of 6 and 7, and the movies will have lost that aspect and will lose some of the flow because of it.

lies said:
I hate intermissions. It brings you back to reality halfway and that's not what I'm after when I go to the theatre.

but isn't it worse when you have to pee sooooooooo bad and so finally you think ok, this might be a safe moment and you run out and when you come back everyone is laughing or gasping and you are like WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!

jenngorham said:
i know, i love, love alan rickman. he is soooooo sexy in sense and sensibility and they are wasting him!!!!!!! not to mention that as the books progress so does his character, i think he is going to be an even bigger part of 6 and 7, and the movies will have lost that aspect and will lose some of the flow because of it.
I know, Snape is probably my favourite character (especially now they have ruined Lupin by casting Thewlis in the role). He appears to be a complex character (well complex for childrens fiction) and felt more time should have been devoted to describing his past. They can come back to it in the movies but then it won't follow the flow of the books, so I doubt this will be an option.

jenngorham said:
but isn't it worse when you have to pee sooooooooo bad and so finally you think ok, this might be a safe moment and you run out and when you come back everyone is laughing or gasping and you are like WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!
I make it a point never to go to the toilet during a movie, even if it hurts like hell. Just try not to drink too much before the movie and you'll be fine.

(When I went to see The Return of the King, I bought a litre of water during the break and drank it all immediately. Little did I know that they had made eight different endings for that particular movie! I could've run out, because I really didn't like the movie, but I stayed put. When I finally went to the toilet I almost couldn't pee anymore. Heheh.)
Ice said:
I know, Snape is probably my favourite character (especially now they have ruined Lupin by casting Thewlis in the role). He appears to be a complex character (well complex for childrens fiction) and felt more time should have been devoted to describing his past. They can come back to it in the movies but then it won't follow the flow of the books, so I doubt this will be an option.
You're right about the Snape thing, but I really didn't think Thewlis did a bad job, on the contrary. I liked him.

lies said:
I make it a point never to go to the toilet during a movie, even if it hurts like hell. Just try not to drink too much before the movie and you'll be fine.
The rule went ... well, down the toilet, during the last half of Titanic! :eek: :D :D

lies said:
... but I really didn't think Thewlis did a bad job, on the contrary. I liked him.
Oh no don't get me wrong - there was nothing wrong with his acting. I just don't like him and would have preferred for him not to be cast in the role (everytime I see him i'm reminded of Dinotopia :rolleyes: )

Hehe. I remember Dinotopia.

I'm always remembered of DiCaprio, which isn't fun either, but what can you do? I still like Thewlis.

Yes, POA was my least favourite movie - far too short. At the end I was thinking - is that it? I hadn't read the book in over a year and it seemed like a really 3rd rate kids movie that was very linear, not really connecting to the other movies at all.

The thing is - the HP movies are going to draw a crowd no matter how long a movie is. Why not just be truer to the book and capture its magic and some of the ongoing threads rather than just capture the main plot?

Oh, and despite the fact that I just adore Alan Rickman, I can't say that 'sexy' is the word that comes to mind. 'Slimy' or 'greasy' are the two that I can think of where Snape is concerned, and he was simply fabulous in Dogma.

PS: Wolhay - I like the new avatar. I wasn't a fan of the old one, really :eek: .

Thanks Kookamoor, I designed the old avatar myself, the one I'm currently using I just stole, fitted and changed the background to.

Nothing against the old one's design. It just kind of reminded me of a swastika, which was a little offputting. I never said anything because I figured it was just me!

Back