• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Snape seems to be afraid of humiliation. His childhood probably had a lot to do with it. He was always humiliated at Hogwarts and, from what Harry saw when he penetrated Snape's mind, he didn't have a pleasent home environment.

K-Dawn said:
Snape seems to be afraid of humiliation.
I can believe that. It seems true too now that I think about it. But would that be his boggart? I think the Snape-Lily relationship was one sided. Snape had a crush on Lily and she might have returned it if James didn't have to show up and ruin everything (at least thats how Snape probably sees it).

Oh and another thing, while we are on the topic of Snape did anyone understand the Significance of the Half Blood Prince? I mean the whole book I wanted to know, but at the time it was finally revealed, it wasn't important to me. I didn't care anymore because there were far more important things happening at the time. Was that just me?

h_carnahan said:
Oh and another thing, while we are on the topic of Snape did anyone understand the Significance of the Half Blood Prince? I mean the whole book I wanted to know, but at the time it was finally revealed, it wasn't important to me. I didn't care anymore because there were far more important things happening at the time. Was that just me?
I felt exactly the same way. It was revealed and I just thought, 'oh yup, makes sense', and then kept reading on. There was no anticipation built up in this regard, and
the death of Dumbledore
overshadowed this revelation.

h_carnahan said:
I think it was the way it was built up. By the time I read it, I was like "oh, big deal." It wasn't really important to the plot in the end, was it? I mean, to me it felt kinda tacked on.

h_carnahan said:

That whole thing about the Half Blood Prince turned out to be nothing. What a let down.

Robert said:
That whole thing about the Half Blood Prince turned out to be nothing. What a let down.
While it seems that way now, do you think that it could be significant in book seven? Maybe shed light on Snape, he is such a mysterious character...I love it!

h_carnahan said:
While it seems that way now, do you think that it could be significant in book seven?
That's my suspicion. It seems a little odd to name the entire book after this plot devise and then for it not to go anywhere.

h_carnahan said:
While it seems that way now, do you think that it could be significant in book seven? Maybe shed light on Snape, he is such a mysterious character...I love it!

I really don't see how it could be significant, but you never know..

What about Dumbledore, was his fear ever mentioned? and in the second book, was Dumbledore telling Harry the truth when he said that if he looked in the mirror of erised he would see himself holding a pair of warm wool socks?

h_carnahan said:
What about Dumbledore, was his fear ever mentioned? and in the second book, was Dumbledore telling Harry the truth when he said that if he looked in the mirror of erised he would see himself holding a pair of warm wool socks?
Of course he desired so much more than socks. But would he really tell an 11 year old he's trying to shelter that he hopes the boy will grow up and kill someone someday?

h_carnahan said:
mayby he actually hopes for warm feet lol:D

maybe Dumbledore realizes that the best pleasures in the world are the simplest and most basic ones.

h_carnahan said:
, do you think that it could be significant in book seven? Maybe shed light on Snape, he is such a mysterious character...I love it!

I'm going for this theory.

To me Snape's power and position increased with every book. First he was a double agent: obviously fooling either Dumbledore or Voldermort - both are great wizards so that must make Snape pretty good too wouldn't you say?

then we find out about the half-blood prince stuff. Maybe his background will have a significance on how things work out. If not the fact he could make his own spells and potions again suggests he's a very clever wizard!

Although its pretty far fetched I couldn't help thinking Snape Is harry's father. Although he looks like his Dad James doesn't he. Think theres going to be a bombshell - and that it will relate directly to Snape's fear!

Why cant it be released early?!

claire29 said:
Although its pretty far fetched I couldn't help thinking Snape Is harry's father.
You're approaching my Snape theory here a little, Claire. And I'll cover this with a spoiler tag because it uses crucial info from all the books including the 6th.
I think (and my fiance should be credited for coming up with the basics of this theory) that Snape loved Lily, Harry's mother, while they were in school. When she married James Potter, Snape probably thought, "Screw it," and went over to Voldemort. Later, when Snape told the partial prophecy to Voldemort, he probably asked that Voldemort spare Lily's life, and that's why Voldemort gave Lily the option to live... thereby giving Harry his protection, because of course Lily died for Harry. Because Lily died (and Snape was partially to blame), Snape was devastated, went to Dumbledore, told him everything and offered to be a double agent. That's why Dumbledore always trusted him so much, because he truly believed in Snape's remorse.

So... Snape's biggest fear is probably seeing Harry dead, and having all his work and sacrifice come to nothing. That would be a shocker huh? :D

P.S. And the reason why Dumbledore never gave Snape the Defense Against the Dark Arts position for all those years was because he knew he'd lose him after a year because of Voldemort's curse. The fact that Dumbledore gave Snape the job in the 6th book indicates, in my opinion, that Dumbledore knew Snape would have to kill him to keep the Unbreakable Vow, and would have to leave Hogwarts anyway.

Oh I love this theory!!! It makes sense in twisted ways. I guess that you would explain Snape's hatred for Harry because he was James' son and because Lily died sacrificing herself for him instead of just letting Harry die?

I like it Kristocat! Think we might be getting somewhere!

Just think - it'll probably turn out to be soemthing we didn't expect, but I think some of our ideas would be just as good as J.K.Rowlings! Lol. i really cant wait to find out about Snape. he's always been my favourite charcter, but having read all these theories I'm routing for him even more. I just know it's gotta be good!

h_carnahan said:
Oh I love this theory!!! It makes sense in twisted ways. I guess that you would explain Snape's hatred for Harry because he was James' son and because Lily died sacrificing herself for him instead of just letting Harry die?
Yes, that might be it, but it might also be a front, at least partially. Snape is incredibly good at deception and I think he might have purposefully transferred his hatred and resentment of James Potter onto Harry, and allowed that attitude to become his public face towards him.

claire29 said:
but I think some of our ideas would be just as good as J.K.Rowlings!
Or at least as intricate! J.K Rowling must have planned out the whole storyline before writing the first book, because the way that this has taken off and twisted and turned, there is no other way that she could have done it! But as usual we are probably searching in all the wrong directions...

Yeah we are probably searching in totally the wrong direction.

I remember hearing an interview with her and she said that she had written the ending early on and that it was locked away in a safe! Plus I also heard she has lots of notebooks with lots of details about characters that we will never know about! She's got this whole world inside her head that she's shared with us. I wish I had talent like that.

Whatever the plan with Snape is, it has to be relevant some way to what has already happened. It's just us baing able to solve the clues...

Do we even know for sure if Snape is on Voldemort's side? He did kill Dumbledore but that does not mean that he has full loyalty in Voldemort. It MIGHT be possible that he made the unbreakable vow to malfoys mother infront of bellatrix to gain more trust from her and other death eaters, and he finally was forced to kill dumbledore because being that the selfish man he is, if he did not he would die.

Back