• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter Seventh Book Pre-Sales Speculations and Discussions

Will Harry return to Hogwarts for a 7th year?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Yes, but he will not stay the whole year or he will just visit

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
I think Harry is going to first learn something of importance from the Dursleys, as he'll no longer need to stay there and will probably have a big row with Aunt Petunia. This may lead him to Godric's Hollow, as she may relate some information to him about things she might have seen or remembered from there; yet it could lead in a heretofore unforeseen direction, as she might relate something unexpected.

I think, too, that he'll have to "move in" to #12 Grimauld Place and, perhaps, bring along Ron as a roommate!! Kreacher may get the boot, but doubtfully since he knows so much. Dobbie may take up residence there, as the school's future is still dubious. One thing that makes me think Hogwarts-whether running or not-will play a major part in this last book, is the fact that Voldemort/Tom is madly in love with the school and associates it with some of his happiest memories. I personally wonder if he'd try to make the school itself, or part of it at least, into a horcrux? That way he'd cover all four founders. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bluraven- I can see your first paragraph holding true, because Harry will probably go back to GH but I don't know what will send him there. As for your second paragraph, I can believe that Harry will move into 12 Grimuald Place or at least go there in search for where to continue his search for Horacruxes, maybe that is also his reason for returning to GH. But Dobby coming to live with him? I doubt it and if you don't remeber Kreacher is working at Hogwarts. I don't think that Hogwarts will close, ever. But if it does there are bigger problems then just what will Happen to Dobby or Kreacher.

I think Ron and Hermione will talk Harry in to going to Hogwarts. He will stay there for a while and then leave, like Fred and George did (he won't leave in such a rebellious fashion, though)

I can't see Rowling endorsing kids with as much potential as Harry dropping out of school. Fred and George were clearly cut out for a trade, so this was appropriate, but I just can't see her letting Harry fall short of the best education. I also don't see him being made the DADA teacher - possibly that will be his future following this year, though. I don't think it would be appropriate for someone so young to be teaching his peers. I think they'll have someone from the Ministery do it.

What will happen to the school? No idea, possibly some kind of ministery guards? I think we'll find out why the school was so safe with Dumbledore there, though - perhaps that safety hasn't disappeared with his death? I also hope to find out why Voldemort was so frightened of him. I can't help but think that Dumbledore may be doing a "bit of a Gandalf", though... maybe that's just me hoping :eek:. Oh, and it's very different that Rowling killed off an old man as compared to a child.

Oh, and I think speculation is fun. When I get sick of it I'll stop reading the thread, but having just watched the Goblet of Fire movie my interest has been peaked again :).

Kookamoor said:
I can't see Rowling endorsing kids with as much potential as Harry dropping out of school. Fred and George were clearly cut out for a trade, so this was appropriate, but I just can't see her letting Harry fall short of the best education. I also don't see him being made the DADA teacher - possibly that will be his future following this year, though. I don't think it would be appropriate for someone so young to be teaching his peers. I think they'll have someone from the Ministery do it.

What will happen to the school? No idea, possibly some kind of ministery guards? I think we'll find out why the school was so safe with Dumbledore there, though - perhaps that safety hasn't disappeared with his death? I also hope to find out why Voldemort was so frightened of him. I can't help but think that Dumbledore may be doing a "bit of a Gandalf", though... maybe that's just me hoping :eek:. Oh, and it's very different that Rowling killed off an old man as compared to a child.

Oh, and I think speculation is fun. When I get sick of it I'll stop reading the thread, but having just watched the Goblet of Fire movie my interest has been peaked again :).

I can't see her endorsing talented kids dropping out either, not just Harry but Hermione, as she's already offered to go with Harry. Maybe they can repeat the year so that Rowling can squeeze another book deal out of the series ;) I don't think Harry will become DADA teacher immediately, but later as an adult if they have some kind of epilogue chapter to show how they all grew up or something along thouse lines. It's is home, he should return

And I really don't think Dumbledore should 'do a Gandalf', and I doubt she will because Rowling seems to have the courage of her convinctions and we still get a sense of him from his portrait so he's not lost completely...

mojo said:
And I really don't think Dumbledore should 'do a Gandalf', and I doubt she will because Rowling seems to have the courage of her convinctions and we still get a sense of him from his portrait so he's not lost completely...
I hope so. It's not that I enjoyed Dumbledore's death, but I always admire an author with the courage to do that, and I'd feel a little cheated if it was just a tool to suck the reader in.

Kookamoor said:
but I always admire an author with the courage to do that
I agree! At first I was mad, although the funeral was lovely, but after a while you can't help but admire the way Dumbledore was killed and his beautiful funeral with EVERYONE paying their respects.

h_carnahan said:
I agree! At first I was mad, although the funeral was lovely, but after a while you can't help but admire the way Dumbledore was killed and his beautiful funeral with EVERYONE paying their respects.

Absolutely, I think dying for the greater good and sacrificing himself for others is the noble sort of death that a character like Dumbledore deserves. I was mad at first too, but I think we'll appreciate his sacrifice when we find out what happens in the last book...

How many pages will book 7 be?

Any guesses on how long book 7 will be?

I'm thinkin' at least 1,000.. hopefully more. If it isn't super long, I think i'll be half-blood prince length.

Occlith said:
I read that Rowling has decided to write it in less pages than the first HP book!
Really? Are you serious? Or is this a mean joke..

lol well if that's true it's fine I guess, though I'd think it'd be tricky to wrap everything up in such a short amount of pages. Maybe Harry will die in the end..

I'll be disponited if the book has less then 300 pages. Would loved a mamut book with about 800 page. Think all the loose ends needs about that space.

I thought he made it pretty clear in the end of the sixth book that he was not returning. If Harry says he isn't returning, he probably isn't.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I thought he made it pretty clear in the end of the sixth book that he was not returning. If Harry says he isn't returning, he probably isn't.
Yeah, and Peter Parker wasn't going to endanger Mary Jane, either, and he still married her. (Movie-wise, at least ...) There is a death thread, so I'm going to reluctantly let go of that and stick with the "will Harry return to Hogwarts ... "

I am torn ... Rowling has really gone through as many permutations of Hogwarts as possible and really seems good about not repeating situations, so maybe we aren't going to see classes and Quidditch tournaments per se. Seeing Hogwarts from the teachers' point of view hasn't been covered, however. Harry has taught DADA, and unless the Ministry completely takes over the school, McGonigle and other OotP staff were aware of it, and that might be the only way to compell Harry to go against this vow. It will take some time, though, and that's why the making his home at Grimaud Place becomes significant.

HOWEVER, the Ministry could take over Hogwarts, in which case, the whole Order of the Phoenix is free to explore the rest of the Wizard world, and wouldn't that be wild to read? McGonagal would probably avoid getting entangled in that debacle, so we get to see her in a fresh perpective. Hagrid has enough on his plate with his brother, so why not go off on some quest? It's a shame the kids all fall through the cracks in the educational system, but the wizarding world is different ...

I don't think rowling wpuld allow the kids to "fall through the cracks in the educational system" as you put it Oberon. Can you imagine the grief rowling would get from angry parents saying that rowling is encouraging children to drop out of school and go on your own quest? I don't even think she has the strength or guts to take on that quest with the number of little fans that she knows she has. I thought that it was ridiculous when she was attacked for supposably jeering at obese people by some fan's parents (because the dursley's were fat). This reaction would be out of hand.

Back