• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter Seventh Book Pre-Sales Speculations and Discussions

Will Harry return to Hogwarts for a 7th year?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Yes, but he will not stay the whole year or he will just visit

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
Carica said:
But as I mentioned above, the 7th of July was the date of the London Bombings last year and will be commemorated as such for some years to come. I can't imagine JKR deciding her book release would be on such a date.
i didn't know that. u have quite a point then.

I think regulus would be a really great guess n yea the "uh" thingy made it seem better but Sirius made him out to be some dim witted fool so do ya think a dim witted fool would be able to get across that lake and all the obstacle courses around it?

Some of the most intelligent people in the world are also the ones who make the most foolish decisions. I'm sure at the time, joining the Death Eaters sounded like a really good idea to Regalus. By the time he realized the mistake he had made, it was too late. He wasn't necessarily stupid, he just made an extremely bad choice that contributed to his demise.

I heard last night that it is supposed to be out in June 2007. Might not be true, but I hope so. I want to finish the series bad.

Fidelius Charm--Secret Keepers *spoilers*

I'm re-reading the series, and I came over something and I wondered about this. It has to do with the Fidelius Charm, the one that needs a Secret-Keeper to protect the people or place the spell is cast upon from being found by anyone who isn't supposed to.

We first learn of it in the third book in The Three Broomsticks when Madam Rosamerta asks about the Potter's death and how Sirius is involved. Professor McGonagall answers that a Fidelius Charm was used to protect them, but Sirius, their Secret-Keeper, betrayed them and led Voldemort to kill them. We learn that Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew) was in fact, the Secret-Keeper.

In the fifth book, we find that 13 Grimmauld Place is the secret headquarters for the Order of the Pheonix. The Secret-Keeper is Dumbledore.

Also, in the fifth book, before Grimmauld Place is discovered by Harry, the Howler from Dumbledore to Aunt Petunia says "REMEMBER MY LAST, PETUNIA!" And she makes Harry stay. Could it be that, on the night Dumbledore dropped Harry off at 4 Privet Drive with a note that may have told them about all he was going to do, he cast a Fidelius Charm and made himself Secret-Keeper to where Harry was hiding? This way, if Voldemort ever came back with strength, as he sort of does in book four, Harry would still be hidden from his eyes.

But in the sixth book, (if it's true) Dumbledore dies. Would the Fidelius Charm be lifted? If so, does that mean, that maybe, in the seventh book, Voldemort will become powerful enough to find and kill Harry now that he is not hidden by the Fidelius Charm?

This is just a theory, but all I've read says it may be true, and it would be like J. K. Rowling to end her series with something that she hinted at in the previous six books. She always hints at things like how Hermione knows about Lupin being a werewolf (book three) and how Ginny is pale and weak, but not sick like everyone else in school (book two).

Tell me what you think, and don't be afraid to criticize my idea, because that's all it is, an idea.

I don't think Harry is the last Horcrux, because why would Voldemort want to kill his own Horcrux??? How would he have made Harry a Horcrux when he was almost destroyed trying to kill him? I don't think that would be possible.

I still think Dumbledore isn't dead.

Why does Madam Pomfrey start crying when she hears Fawkes crying in the background. As we know, phoenix tears have healing powers, and she may be the only one that understands that Dumbledore could be alive, being healed by Fawkes. He was close to her.

Why does Fawkes keep crying? It would be understandable if JK only mentioned it once, but she mentions it numerous times. Healing???

Why do we not see a body at the burial?

Why is Dumbledore's wand not found? Could he still need it?

Just because his portrait is in the headmaster's office, doesn't mean that he's dead. It just means that he's not headmaster anymore. Where does it say that they have to die to be put on that wall? Don't mention Umbridge to me. She wasn't really a headmistress; she was appointed by the Ministry of Magic to run the school because the Ministry thought Dumbledore was a barmy old codger.

In the second book, Dumbledore says, "I will not have truly left this school as long as there are some loyal to me." This may mean that he isn't dead. Might be an excellent use of foreshadowing, like JK uses alot, to prove what comes later. Examples: "Mars is bright tonight" book one and the Mars in book five. Hermione knowing that Lupin is a werewolf, and acting annoyed when Harry and Ron don't understand. (book three) Ginny being pale and sickly when the flu is going around, but Pepperup Potion doesn't help because she is afraid of her blackouts where she doesn't know what's happening. (book two)

I think it'll probably be announced winter 07 and released summer 08. I can't wait to finish it though! I didn't go to any of the other release parties, but I'm definately going to go to this one.

I remember reading that when the secret-keeper dies, the secret goes with them. Meaning that if Dumbledore was secret keeper for Harry then when he died nobody would be able to find him with the Dursley's because he would never be around to reveal Harry's location. I think that there is no charm on Harry because the Dementors were sent to Harry's street. How would Umbridge be able to send the Dementors there if she didn't know where Harry lived?

emmajo08 said:
but Sirius made him out to be some dim witted fool
Maybe you are misinterpreting Sirrius' feelings, I think he is displaying more bitterness and resentment but most of all disappointment towards Regalus' choices.

I never remember anything about what happens when a Secret-Keeper dies...I'll go look it up. I think that the Ministry, including Umbridge, knew where Harry's house was because they sent him notices when he improperly used magic outside of school. (Well, it was really Dobby and his anger) I think Dumbledore may have given them the information to keep Harry secure, and because the Ministry would want to know where they're savior from Voldemort was at all times. It was only a theory that I thought I'd run by; I'm not sure if it will be true...I doubt it really.

Vespertilio91 said:
I never remember anything about what happens when a Secret-Keeper dies...
Sorry I forgot where I found it! It was on her website, not in a book:

"What happens to a secret when the Secret-Keeper dies?
I was surprised that this question won, because it is not the one that I'd have voted for… but hey, if this is what you want to know, this is what you want to know!

When a Secret-Keeper dies, their secret dies with them, or, to put it another way, the status of their secret will remain as it was at the moment of their death. Everybody in whom they confided will continue to know the hidden information, but nobody else.

Just in case you have forgotten exactly how the Fidelius Charm works, it is

"an immensely complex spell involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find -- unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it" (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)

In other words, a secret (eg, the location of a family in hiding, like the Potters) is enchanted so that it is protected by a single Keeper (in our example, Peter Pettigrew, a.k.a. Wormtail). Thenceforth nobody else – not even the subjects of the secret themselves – can divulge the secret. Even if one of the Potters had been captured, force fed Veritaserum or placed under the Imperius Curse, they would not have been able to give away the whereabouts of the other two. The only people who ever knew their precise location were those whom Wormtail had told directly, but none of them would have been able to pass on the information."

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_poll.cfm

Vespertilio91 said:
But in the sixth book, (if it's true) Dumbledore dies. Would the Fidelius Charm be lifted? If so, does that mean, that maybe, in the seventh book, Voldemort will become powerful enough to find and kill Harry now that he is not hidden by the Fidelius Charm?

I don't think it would matter, even if the Fidelius Charm were lifted (and it looks like JKR said that was not possible anyway). Harry's protection that comes from staying at the Dursleys ends when he turns 17. He only has a month or month and a half left from the end of the 6th book, and then it's basically open season for Voldemort and Harry has to be ready.

Back