• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anyone really read...

Literati

War & Peace?

I've started it 3 separate times and never have gotten past page 3. Any suggestions for making this an easier read? I REALLY want to conquer it.

lol if you dislike it so much that you cant get past page 3 why do you want to finish reading it?

lol if you dislike it so much that you cant get past page 3 why do you want to finish reading it?

I must admit, Chris, I was thinking this too.

If you're studying something for academic reasons, say, then that's a different thing. But otherwise, isn't life too short to struggle through something that really doesn't grip you from such an early stage?

That's not to say, however, that when any book becomes 'difficult', just to drop it. But if you're struggling from the start, then what is the point?

Yeah, don't waste time on it now if it doesn't engage. The chances are, in ten years' time, it may just click with you.

Yeah, don't waste time on it now if it doesn't engage. The chances are, in ten years' time, it may just click with you.

That's a really good point. I hated certain books when studying at school, but found them enjoyable 20 years down the line (Thomas Hardy generally and Lord of the Flies specifically were cases in point).

As to the original question, yes, I read it. Yes, I loved it. Everyone can't love the same things, but the fact that one person can't get into a certain book doesn't mean others can't.

I know someone who read the Spanish translation "Guerra y Paz" but that probably won't help you.

Why are you trying to master it? Personal reasons? Academic reasons? If it's personal than the advice above was good: walk away from it for a while, read some other things (maybe even read a book about the book) and come back to it.

If you're studying something for academic reasons, say, then that's a different thing. But otherwise, isn't life too short to struggle through something that really doesn't grip you from such an early stage?

I've never had to read a literary book for academic reasons. My academic area does not include this sort of reading, so whatever literary book I decide to read it will be always for self enjoyment. So I agree with you, Sybarite, life is too short for wasting time with something that will not be professionally or economically fruitful neither enjoyable.

That's not to say, however, that when any book becomes 'difficult', just to drop it. But if you're struggling from the start, then what is the point?

Sure. Leaving aside the professional or academic matters--if it's not the case--reading for fun presupposes enjoying everything about it, including the fact the book can be possibly difficult. So if the difficult factor does not please you, then I see no reason at all to keep the reading. By the way, what exactly do you mean with "difficult"? For me, "difficult" is kind of different from "boring". I've never read "War and Peace", but I've been reading about it once and as far as I know this book contain a huge amount of characters--more 500, just in the beginning! It means a lot of names to remember so the reader can understand better each one's place and actions in the story. I think this would be something that could make the book difficult (I don't know for sure, I've never read it...), but surely not boring.

I have read War and Peace, but not until a few years ago. I'm retired now, so have time to take on projects like that. It is just as well that I waited, since I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the book as much when I was younger.

War and Peace is not a book you can master, certainly not in translation. It is a book you inhabit: a wide and different world inhabited by people you would never meet in Florida or Iowa (but maybe a few in New York). Some people read for the romance and skip the battle scenes, but they are part of that world too.

It's a little like Dr. Zivago writ large. The world spins out of control and people - good people and not-so-good people - handle it as best they can.

... By the way, what exactly do you mean with "difficult"? For me, "difficult" is kind of different from "boring"...

And the same for me too. "Difficult" is perhaps perfectly illustrated for me by Thomas Mann – or at least some of his novels, which, being 'novels of ideas', take more time an concentration to read. The reward is different too, though.

Ahh, Ulysses and its random switchings to Latin. I got about 50 pages in and said "F this" I can honestly say that it is being shelved for a while. At least until i get a Latin dictionary.

I too have only started it. I read the first several hundred pages and I loved it. The reason I stopped reading it, is that it's just too darn heavy and I can't lug it to the coffee shop. For some reason I can only read one book at a time...

/sigh

maybe sometime this year...

Oh you mates are talking so much about giving a try in this "War & Peace"... I'm starting to have a notion to read it too! :) I know where I can buy it, I saw the book in a used book store a few days ago and I don't think it will be already sold when (or if) I come back there (people usually go to such stores to buy the cheaper editions, and the "War & Peace" I saw there, even thought it's used, is not a really cheap edition. It's one of those old books from the 60's, with leather covers and a very good translation work. As far as I know it was traduced directly from Russian--yes, unfortunately some translation works we see in bookstores are kind of re-translations.)

hi
well ,3 pages is not much.It's not even a taste of it.Some book ,specialy big blocks like this one take at list 50 page to get use to,the language ,athmosphere.I loved it and even more Anna karenin,he also wrote a short action one call the cozaks,very good if you can find it;
good luck anyway

I have the same problem with the movie "Casablanca." I know it's supposedly one of the greatest movies ever made but I can't get past the first 15 minutes of it. I record it every time it's on because I think maybe I can watch it, but so far I haven't been able to.

Try it again down the line...

I agree with what a lot of the above posters are saying. Sometimes you'll start a book, and it just won't appeal to you at all; you'll come back to it a month, a year, a decade later, and you'll find yourself unable to put it down.

So, if you don't find yourself enjoying the experience this time, don't ruin it by forcing your way through. Put it down, try something else, and maybe come back to it later.

Yes I've read it. I liked it too. I don't know if it can be made interesting...sometimes a person just does not like classics. I have a hard time getting interested in many modern novels.

When I read " War and Peace' I was very sick for a couple of months, so I had a lot of time to read with no choice but to lie still, which probably helped. It didn't pick up until you had been soundly introduced to the characters and understood their various personalities and motives.

Back