• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hey Ice Hockey Fans !!!!! Deal?

It was slow and didn't have the skill that I would like to have seen for that level of play.

I think that one of the problems with the lower leagues is that they just fill skates to get under a salary cap. But overall, I still enjoy the game no matter the level.

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
For example, when I lived in Denver I went to a number of D.U. games (a subtle hint to pwilson) and the enthusiasm that the college kids showed was equal to that of any pro player.

And last, having lived in Denver (and being a Sakic/Forsberg fan....and miss Sir Patrick) GO AVS! :cool:
RaVeN
Actually, Raven I used to live down in the Springs so consider myself a CC fan first and foremost but definitely pull for DU the rest of the time. You're right, college hockey games (and football for that matter) have such a fun, unique atmosphere that everyone should go at least once.

I am a little worried about the new rule changes. I don't mind them opening up the game a little but I hope the sport is still recognizable. I was watching some classic Avs games last night on Altitude and it definitely whipped me into a frenzy! Now we just have to hope and pray that Lacroix figures out a way to get everyone back!

pwilson said:
Actually, Raven I used to live down in the Springs so consider myself a CC fan first and foremost but definitely pull for DU the rest of the time. You're right, college hockey games (and football for that matter) have such a fun, unique atmosphere that everyone should go at least once.

I am a little worried about the new rule changes. I don't mind them opening up the game a little but I hope the sport is still recognizable. I was watching some classic Avs games last night on Altitude and it definitely whipped me into a frenzy! Now we just have to hope and pray that Lacroix figures out a way to get everyone back!

I love the Springs area. One of the last jobs I did in CO was for the Air Force Academy, and Garden of the Gods is a great place for a stroll.....but I regress. :(

I agree with you on opening up the game by getting rid of the red line. What can it hurt to try it for a while to see if it creates more scoring? And the downsizing of goalie equiptment doesn't matter to me much one way or the other. What bothers me is the limiting of an area in which the goalie can play the puck, AND the possibility of adding shoot outs to decide the winner of a tied game.

I've been witness to hundreds of shoot outs and can't stand them. :mad: That's like deciding the winner of a basketball game by taking turns at free throws. It's a team sport. Let the TEAM decide who wins!

As for Lacroix, I'm sure that all of the owners will be scrambling to find ways to keep their key players now that a cap is in place.

Should be a fun season though. Drop the puck, already! :D

RaVeN

We've got a ways to go before they finally drop the puck. Lots to do.

- Hopefully, the PA and the league will ratify the agreement on Friday.
- The draft lottery/Crosby sweepstakes on Friday.
- July 23: Buyout period begins; also begins the period to negotiate with 2003 draft picks and teams' own free agents.
- July 28: 5 p.m. EDT deadline for signing 2003 draft picks
- July 29: 5 p.m. EDT deadline for player buyouts.
- July 30: NHL entry draft in Ottawa.
- July 31: 5 p.m. EDT deadline to extend qualifying offers to own free agents.
- Aug. 1: Official free-agent signing season begins.
- Aug. 10: Players notify teams whether they've elected salary arbitration.
- Aug. 11: Clubs notify players whether they've elected to bring them to salary arbitration.
- Aug. 12: NHL and NHLPA schedule arbitration cases.
- Aug. 15: Qualifying offers expire automatically.
- Aug. 22-Sept. 1: Salary arbitration hearings.
- Doesn't the league still need an agreement with the European community so teams can sign their prospects?
- The NHL will need to publish the schedule
- Then there's prospect camps, and a prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich.
- Then training camp
- Then the puck can drop.

Did I miss anything?

Hey Robert,
I've been reading some fairly dire predictions out of Detroit as far as money goes. How do you think they're going to handle it? Supposedly they're only around $700,000 below the cap with most of their star players unsigned. Get rid of Hatcher? What do you think they're going to do?

Raven,
I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Colorado. I'm a native and absolutely love it here! Like you said, I'm not a big fan of the shootout either. It's a team game and shouldn't come down to an arbitrary skills competition at the end. I had season tickets to the Gold Kings in the WCHL for a couple of years and watched plenty of shootouts. Sure, it's exciting for a few minutes but it just feels so gimmicky! I did read that they're still going to give both teams a point though. I'm still nervous but I guess it's impossible to judge the one-ice product until it's.....on the ice. Let's get going!

Go AVS!

pwilson said:
Hey Robert,
I've been reading some fairly dire predictions out of Detroit as far as money goes. How do you think they're going to handle it? Supposedly they're only around $700,000 below the cap with most of their star players unsigned. Get rid of Hatcher? What do you think they're going to do?

The talk is that Cujo is gone and Hatcher, MaCarty & Whitney will likely be brought out. Kronwall will brought up from Grand Rapids and Franzen may be signed from Sweden, and there is a remote possibility Filppula may be signed.

Goaltending is the real issue. I hear the Wings would like to get their hands on Khabibulin, but might settle for the return of Osgood. If either is signed, then many wonder if the Wings might part with Legace to save money, and bring MacDonald up from Grand Rapids.

What's going on with the Avs?

There is some hope among fans for the return of Lapointe to add much needed size and toughness, especially if MaCarty is gone.

Robert said:
Did I miss anything?

Yep. Shitcan Gary Bettman & Bob Goodenow

And I think it would be a mistake for the Wings to get rid of Legace. Let 'em cut costs with other guys. Osgood, though IMO over rated, and Legace make one of the best combinations anywhere. MacDonald's a good minor league goalie, but the NHL is out of his league.... see what I did there? :D

I'll tell you who I think is one of the better goalies around. Kevin Weekes. Keep him healthy & give him a defense , the guy can pull rabbits out of his ass. And 2nd place on my list of rabbit pulling would be Patrick Lalime.

RaVeN

Yeah, especially Goodenow. Boy did he screw the players or what?

I don't care for Osgood, either. At times, he seems as good as the best, at other time .... as good as the worse. I don't care for Lalime either. Unless the Wings pull something out of their hat, the Wings won't have a true #1 until Liv or Howard is ready for the move to Detroit. I would be very confortable with Legace as #1.

MacDonald might be a capable backup at the NHL level, no better then that.

Robert said:
What's going on with the Avs?

From what I've heard, they're actually in pretty decent shape. Basically, Forsberg and Foote are the main unrestricted free agents, while Tanguay, Hejduk, and Aebischer are restricted. According to the speculations I'm hearing, they basically should have around 20 million to divvy up between them. Tanguay, Hejduk and Aebischer are the givens while Foote and Forsberg are the question marks. Some say they may only be able to keep one of the two but others say that as both are nearing the end of their careers and have spent the whole time in Colorado they might be willing to take less to stay here. I've got my fingers crossed as you can imagine! Either way, I hope that both Colorado and Detroit maintain their places near the top cause it would be terrible to see the rivalry dwindle.

Robert said:
I would be very confortable with Legace as #1.

I'll bet there are plenty of teams that would love to have him as their #1. Besides that he's a nice, humble guy off the ice too. He'd be some PR guy's dream come true with the right team.

For your sake, I hope the Wings can hold onto him for a while.

RaVeN

pwilson said:
. Either way, I hope that both Colorado and Detroit maintain their places near the top cause it would be terrible to see the rivalry dwindle.

Two words.

Claude Lemieux :eek:

RaVeN

pwilson said:
From what I've heard, they're actually in pretty decent shape. Basically, Forsberg and Foote are the main unrestricted free agents, while Tanguay, Hejduk, and Aebischer are restricted. According to the speculations I'm hearing, they basically should have around 20 million to divvy up between them. Tanguay, Hejduk and Aebischer are the givens while Foote and Forsberg are the question marks. Some say they may only be able to keep one of the two but others say that as both are nearing the end of their careers and have spent the whole time in Colorado they might be willing to take less to stay here. I've got my fingers crossed as you can imagine! Either way, I hope that both Colorado and Detroit maintain their places near the top cause it would be terrible to see the rivalry dwindle.

Forsberg has had some health issues over the last few years. Didn't he have in injury in Sweden last season? He's a great player, is he going to be healthy for the upcoming season?

Robert said:
Forsberg has had some health issues over the last few years. Didn't he have in injury in Sweden last season? He's a great player, is he going to be healthy for the upcoming season?
Yeah, his wrist was broken on a fairly controversial hit (from what I've heard). His style of play has definitely taken a toll on his body as he's always been fairly injury prone. Supposedly he's healed and ready to go for the season and has been spending quite a bit of time around Denver in the last few months, which I hope is a sign that he's planning on being back with the Avs.

pwilson said:
Yeah, his wrist was broken on a fairly controversial hit (from what I've heard). His style of play has definitely taken a toll on his body as he's always been fairly injury prone. Supposedly he's healed and ready to go for the season and has been spending quite a bit of time around Denver in the last few months, which I hope is a sign that he's planning on being back with the Avs.

It's a shame they have to get old. I think Detroit will go into mourning if Yzerman retires.

Robert said:
Now there is a name from the past that should rermain in the past.
Yeah, I would rather recall Roy vs. Vernon and Roy vs. Osgood and almost Roy vs. Hasek. I was at the playoff game where Haskek skated the whole length of the ice to go after Roy but slipped on a stick right before he got there. Too bad, it would've been fun to see!

Back