• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

How far ahead do you plan your reading?

Nellie

I have a healthy TBR pile (like most people here!) which I tend to choose my next book from. Occasionally I will know what I am reading next before I have finished my current book, but I don't plan any more than that. A friend of mine told me today that he plans his years reading in January and sticks to it. I am not sure I could do this as I keep getting distracted by all the lovely things to read!

I would be interested to know if people plan their reading and whether they can stick to their list.

I don't plan a head too much. I have lots of lists for things I want to get to 'one of these days'. My lineup is arranged by what I've requested from the library, and if there's a pile to choose from, I sometimes go by due dates. Sometimes it's a matter of what I can grab before my husband does. When I was doing my Olympic Challenge, I was a little more organized, but I still didn't plan ahead too terribly far. I don't think I'd ever want to map out a whole year and be locked into that plan.

Not far at all. I have a TBR pile and when I finish a book, I look at my unread books and grab one I feel in the mood for.

Sort of. Lately my plan of attack has been to just plow through my TBR pile, although I'm taking a break and rereading some old favorites.

I have a healthy TBR pile (like most people here!) which I tend to choose my next book from. Occasionally I will know what I am reading next before I have finished my current book, but I don't plan any more than that. A friend of mine told me today that he plans his years reading in January and sticks to it. I am not sure I could do this as I keep getting distracted by all the lovely things to read!

I would be interested to know if people plan their reading and whether they can stick to their list.

Wow, now that is organization! I just pick up whatever I'm in the mood for.

I agree, I was stunned that anyone could stick to a list like that for an entire year.

No fooling! I'm like that kid in The Five Chinese Brothers..you know, the boy who was supposed to gather the treasure from the ocean floor while the Brother held the sea in his mouth.Me: Here's a good book...oooh, over there I see three...and waaay over there is five more.

Mostly non-fiction, because I am a political junkie. Best not to let the elites dominate because they know more than we do.

I tried to make a list of books from my TBR pile that I wanted to finish by the year's end awhile back, but I didn't really stick to it. I think my accomplishments ranged little more than finishing the final books in the Dark Tower series. So I just pick up whatever I'm in the mood for now. I might plan a book ahead, but that's usually as far I can successfully plan my reading.

I don't go in order any longer (TBR list). I just pick a book from that list and read it- no specific order. I haven't been reading much, if any, fiction for the last few months. Non-fiction is all I have been reading. Mostly science and some history text.

This is a great thread question. For me, being a borrower rather than a purchaser of books, my reading choices can often come down to which of my holds have come in and also how much time I have before having to return books. As a result, sometimes the length of a novel can also be a factor. For example, a 500 page novel due back in one week is probably going to have to be really good or is unlikely to be finished in that time.

No way would I stick to list! It makes me laugh to think of how badly I'd fail that effort.

The most organized I'll get is if I buy several books at a time and decide to read them one after the other. Most of the time I read one and say, "what am I in the mood for?" Honestly, it changes whether I want to read fantasy, horror, heavy classic, etc. from one book to the next, I can never read more than a couple classics in a row before I need to break them up with something lighter.

And then there's the "oohhh, a shiny!" effect.

I used to plan the next book as I was starting to read one. Meaning that I would always have an "on deck" book. But I stopped doing that recently. Too many times lately I was changing my mind. That usually had to do with how my mood changed while reading the current book.

Lately though I am trying something different. I picked out 15 books to read next. I am going to try read these 15 books before anything else, but not have a set list. So far I have knocked off 4 of them without any problems. But I think I will break with this set up because I have been getting quite a few other books that I want to read now.

While I'm reading a book I'll usually have some idea about which one I want to read next. I wouldn't want to plan out a whole year's reading in order, though.

I find that often I get diverted by library books, which end up jumping the queue because of the due date. I think I need to stay away from the library for a while, as I own some books I've been keen to read for some time, but haven't got to yet because I keep getting out library books.

Don't really plan ahead,tho' as I'm nearing the end of the current book I start eyeing up my bookshelves,but I also borrow quite heavily from't library. It's a buzz choosing another book. :)

I plan very far ahead. I have over 200 books in my TBR pile, and I know in what order I will read them.

However, something always seems to come up that I never stick to that order completely.

For example, I was going to read Lord Jim next, but since I discovered VALIS will be December's BOTM, guess what? :D

I plan very far ahead. I have over 200 books in my TBR pile, and I know in what order I will read them.

However, something always seems to come up that I never stick to that order completely.

For example, I was going to read Lord Jim next, but since I discovered VALIS will be December's BOTM, guess what? :D

Wow, how high is that pile?

Since I'm a literature student, my reading gets planned for me each semester, so it's about 13 weeks ahead I guess. I have to read one book or several poems a week.

I buy books I want to read when I find them but I read them as the fancy strikes. I can't plan ahead to read something. I have even left books in a series go for a year or more even when the next one is sitting on my shelves.

Back